Question about changing nutrient solution in SWC

sizzamm420

I am getting ready to start my first SWC project. I have read a lot and pretty much have everything down except I cant seem to find any information about draining/refilling the solution when only using 1 resevoir. Could I just take the roots out of the solution than refill and replace? Will that shock the roots? I really need some help with this guys.

you can remove the lid and plants and put in or on another container while you drain and fill your resevoir. the roots can be out of the water for a short time without hurting them, i probably wouldnt want to keep them out of water more that 10 minutes or so.

one thing that might help is a syphon. you can just take a bucket and syphon the resevoir dry and then fill up in the same way, this way you dont have to move the plants or the resevoir. you can find one of these for $10 or so at any wine or beer brewing stores.

you can remove the lid and plants and put in or on another container while you drain and fill your resevoir. the roots can be out of the water for a short time without hurting them, i probably wouldnt want to keep them out of water more that 10 minutes or so.

one thing that might help is a syphon. you can just take a bucket and syphon the resevoir dry and then fill up in the same way, this way you dont have to move the plants or the resevoir. you can find one of these for $10 or so at any wine or beer brewing stores.

Yup, years and years ago when I grew I just let my plants hang from the screens if I needed to remove the reservoir for any reason. Use common sense and don't let them dry out from fans or cook (under hot lights) and don't get distracted and forget about them lol.

A super-cheap siphon is a short piece of hose. If your reservoir is not sitting on the floor you can just submerge the hose in your reservoir (wash your hands first) and pull one end out with your finger over the hole. Then lower that end into your drainage bucket and remove your finger. The solution will immediately begin to siphon out - no sucking on the hose required! Just keep the reservoir end submerged for as long as you want it to drain.

Back
Top Bottom