Question for those w/ HPS experience

hossua34

I recently came accross an old bread locker (Subway was throwing it out) and figured it would make a great flowering box for no more than a couple plants. I'm trying to figure out what type of light I should buy...

The locker has a floor area of about 18x25" and is 55" tall. I was thinking of going for a 250w HPS mini-system, the type with an enclosed ballast. I'm wondering though, about heat becoming an issue in that small a space (although I will have fans for flow-through ventilation). How hot does a 250w compact HPS get, anyway? Anyone have one? Also, I was wondering if it's a bad move to get the enclosed-ballast system, as I notice they're always cheaper than normal HPS systems of the same wattage. There's got to be a reason for that.

I went to a garden store near my house today, but it was a piece of shit. What I'd really love is to see and feel a couple of these different lights in action, but since that doesn't seem to be an option I figured I'd turn to the boards.

I have a normal 250w HPS system and I can tell you that the space you are describing is just not large enough.

I have a 250watt mh/hps switchable sunleaves brand with enclosed ballast and with hsp it get to 87ish 6 inches below but it is not in an enclosed area plus a fan blowing directly across but it gets much hotter if it is ran with mh about 10 degrees hotter. if it is in a enclosed area it just gets alot hotter 110plus, way to hot. besides the heat I am really happy with its performance so far, also the weight is somewhat of an issue it weighs around 50 lbs so it has to be hung with care.-GG

Back
Top Bottom