'Regulatory-Palooza' Hashes Out Details In Pennsylvania Medical Marijuana Law

Katelyn Baker

Pennsylvania's medical marijuana bill was signed into law in April, but it will be two years before most patients can actually take advantage of it.

That's how long the state has to come up with specific regulations to build this industry. Judging from the range of topics and speakers Friday at a day-long "Medical Marijuana Regulatory-Palooza," it may take at least that long to figure it all out.

"We are about to do something that has never been done before," said State Sen. Daylin Leach (D-Mont.), co-author of the medical marijuana law and host of the summit.

"We have the opportunity to help determine what's best for patients. What's best for the entrepreneurs."

About 300 participants, hand-picked by Leach's office, included professionals and patients from 30 states, physicians, municipal officials, industry experts, entrepreneurs and investors. Leach said he intended to submit their comments to the state Department of Health.

One hot topic: Who gets to grow, process or dispense medical marijuana products? The law makes no mention of how the facilities should be distributed.

Leslie Bocskor, a marijuana industry consultant from Nevada, said Pennsylvania should allocate one of the 150 dispensary permits to each county and then distribute the rest based on population and geography.

"Make sure people won't have to drive 75 miles," he said. "Or make sure there's some delivery provision."

Others said merit should be the only consideration.

Attorney Lillian Harris of Post & Schell in Harrisburg, said applicants needed to be "legally fit, technically fit and financially fit." A Colorado lawyer said applications should be stripped of any identifying information to leave politics out of the equation.

Planners from two of Pennsylvania's most economically distressed cities, Reading and Allentown, are counting on medical marijuana to revive municipal fortunes.

"We're awash in empty turn-of-the-century warehouse buildings," said Craig D. Peiffer, a zoning planner for Reading. "Medical marijuana growing operations could bring a second life to those buildings."

David Kennerly, zoning planner for Allentown, worried that a provision keeping medical marijuana facilities from locating within 1,000 feet of any school or daycare center effectively ruled out most of his city.

Though the Department of Health can waive the requirement, Kennerley said he was concerned about possible public backlash.

Lynn Bornfriend, a Philadelphia psychiatrist who treats cancer patients, said she hoped Pennsylvania's medical marijuana industry would resist some of the marketing tactics in other states.

"As a physician, I can't recommend something called Purple Kush to someone," she said, referring to a strain of cannabis known for its pain relieving properties.

But Bornfriend said she wanted marijuana to be made available as quickly as possible.

"I have patients every single day I feel I'm giving substandard care because I can't prescribe it," she said. "We have this resource we're not using. And that needs to change soon."

credistock.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: 'Regulatory-Palooza' Hashes Out Details In Pennsylvania Medical Marijuana Law
Author: Sam Wood
Photo Credit: iStock

Back
Top Bottom