Sativex

SirBlazinBowl

The Food and Drug Administration, which recently quixotically asserted that cannabis has no medical utility, has at the same time approved advanced clinical trials for a marijuana-derived drug called Sativex, a liquid preparation of two of the most therapeutically useful components of cannabis. Clinicians who are familiar with the medicinal uses of marijuana know that the herb, because it can be smoked or vaporized, is much more reliable than this liquid preparation.

A few years ago GW Pharmaceuticals persuaded the UK Home Office that it should be allowed to develop this product on the assertion that it will provide all of the medical benefits of cannabis without burdening patients with two common wisdom "dangerous" effects those of smoking and getting high. There is very little to support the belief that smoking marijuana represents a significant risk to the pulmonary system. Although cannabis has been smoked widely in Western countries for more than four decades, there are no reported cases of lung cancer or emphysema which can be attributed to marijuana. I suspect that a day's breathing in any city with poor air quality poses more of a threat than inhaling a day's dose of smoked marijuana. Furthermore, those who are, in today's antismoking climate, concerned about any toxic effects on the pulmonary system can now use a vaporizer, a device which frees the cannabinoid molecules from the plant material without the necessity of producing smoke by burning it. As for the psychoactive effects, I am not persuaded that the therapeutic benefits of cannabis can always be separated from the psychoactive effects nor am I convinced that attempting to do so is always a desirable goal. For example, many patients with multiple sclerosis who use marijuana speak of "feeling better" as well as the relief from muscle spasm and other symptoms. If cannabis contributes to this mood elevation, should patients be deprived of this effect? The statement that, "The company maintains that Sativex, when taken properly, does not cause the kind of intoxication that people routinely experience from smoking marijuana" hinges on the phrase, "when taken properly". Properly here means taking a dose which is under the level required for the psychoactive effect.

One has to question whether that dose is always therapeutic and whether cannabis taken under the tongue can be so carefully titrated to readily determine that precise dose. It is also true that people who want to use Sativex to get high will certainly be able to do so. One of the most important characteristics of cannabis as a medicine is its capacity for self-titration when taken through the pulmonary system. Because the effects are achieved so rapidly through this means of administration, the patient can determine precisely the amount needed for symptom relief; the risk of underdosing or overdosing is minimized. While sublingual absorption of cannabis leads to faster relief than oral administration (which may take one and a half to two hours), it is not nearly as fast as pulmonary administration and therefore makes self-titration much more difficult if not impossible. Furthermore, many patients cannot hold Sativex, which has a most unpleasant taste, under the tongue long enough for it to be absorbed; as a consequence varying amounts trickle down the esophagus. It then behaves like orally administered cannabis with the consequent delay in the therapeutic effect. Cannabis will one day be seen as a wonder drug as was penicillin in the 1940s. herbal marijuana is remarkably nontoxic, has a wide range of therapeutic applications, and will be quite inexpensive when it is freed of the prohibition tariff. Even now good quality illicit or homegrown marijuana, which is, at the very least, no less useful than Sativex, is less expensive than Sativex will be. While the pharmaceutical industry will undoubtedly produce new strains of herbal marihuana and unique analogs of cannabis which will be useful in ways that whole smoked cannabis is not, Sativex provides only one advantage over whole smoked (or vaporized) marijuana: its use will be legal. I have yet to see a patient who has used both dronabinol (Marinol, a prescription-available synthetic form of the most active cannabinoid) and smoked marijuana who has not found the latter more useful and manageable. The primary reason patients use dronabinol rather than herbal marihuana is a function of the law. Without the prohibition, few would use dronabinol. Similarly, the commercial success of Sativex will largely depend on the vigor with which the prohibition is enforced. It is not unreasonable to believe that as the pharmaceutical armamentarium of cannabinoids increases, so will the pharmaceutical industry's interest in sustaining the prohibition. Dr. Geoffrey Guy claims that he founded GW Pharmaceuticals to keep people who find marijuana useful as a medicine out-of-court; there is, of course, a way to do this which would be much less expensive both economically and in terms of human suffering.

Newshawk: SirBlazinBowl - 420 Magazine
Source: Lester Grinspoon MD
Copyright: N/A
Author: Lester Grinspoon MD

I don't understand the FDA, marijuana is illegal but any for of synthetic THC/cannbis is okay? Thats like saying when I do my own work in school its illegitamate but if I plagarize the hell out of it its okay. And the fake stuff isn't anywhere near as effective. it just doesn't make sense.

Mr One.. what's not to understand.. GW delivered a pharmaceutical that is made from natural marijuana cannabinoids (unlike Marinol, "the fake stuff"). The mouth spray Sativex contains an equal ratio of two cannabinoids (bioactive substances found in marijuana).

The composition of the drug and the manner in which it is delivered ensure that its active ingredients can be medically effective without causing the "high" that many patients (and especially the FDA) view as an undesirable side effect. 1500 people are using Sativex around the world. Canada was the first country to accept the drug last year.

GW is the biggest pot grower in the UK with over 300 strains and over 40 patents on plants. (I'd like to spend a few days in that secret garden..) This is a big corporation.. big money.. big potential market worldwide

I've mentiond this many times in posts re: sativex. It will be approved by the FDA in the next decade and the FDA will say.. there, now you can take Sativex, which is a controlled dose and an acceptable delivery system.. you don't need marijuana anymore. Yeah, we were wrong before but we've changed our mindas with Sativex.. we won't have you smoking that herb anymore. It will hurt you and our mission is to protect you from such substances.

Mark my fucking words! :cheesygrinsmiley: :peace:

Now, Mr. One, do you get it?

The already make sythetic THC, it's called Marinol.

Pinch said:
Now, Mr. One, do you get it?
Its clearer as to why they want to approve it. But what I don't understand why synthetically produced (it would would still go through a chemical process in order to achieve the desired results) is more desirable by the FDA than the natural thing. As good as a synthetic maybe it could still have some whack out side affects, where as the natural thing the side effects are definatly known and can be warned against effectively. You said 1500 people worldwide are currently using Sativex. While this seems like a large enough number to determine if there are undesirable side effects the key phrase is "world wide". Rather than a tight control group there is a large pool of people who probably have the same general body chemistry and won't react negatively. But in a tight control group (say the 1500 was just one clinic in the US) then you get a wider variety of body types increasing the chance of finding the undesirable side effects.

Quick analogy: Say I have 6 billion bottles of soda and a few are tainted. Of those I pick 1500, chances are i'm not gonna run into the tainted bottles. However, if I have 3000 and I pick 1500 I have significantly higher chance of getting the tainted bottles.

When you know the side effects of the Natural thing I feel its better than the unpredictable side effects of the sythetic.

RooRman said:
The already make sythetic THC, it's called Marinol.

I think I mentioned that but thanks.

"GW delivered a pharmaceutical that is made from natural marijuana cannabinoids (unlike Marinol, "the fake stuff")."

Sativex is not synthetic THC.

(By the way, Marinol is good for pain, but delivers no "high".. unless you abuse them.. like take 4 at a time.. then Marinol becomes not non-functional, but debilitating.. )

Mr One, What does "synthetically" produced mean to you? Sativex is the combination of of equal amounts two "natural" cannabinoids derived from cannabis plants. Why? ..so that a controlled amount of medicine is delivered (by oral sray). (Would you rather eat mold when you need penicillin? Or a pill or a shot?)

Smoking (god forbid) or vaping or eating of cannabis as we all generally do does not deliver just two cannabinoids that after alot of research were found to aid in symptoms of certain deseases. Cannabis delivers a host of toxins when smoked. The Sativex delivery system is simple and always delivers a measured amount of the two "natural" healing cannabinoids in a convienient easy to use spray.

Now if you consider the time and energy and the billions of dollars invested and the huge corporation involved as producing Sativex "synthetically", why then yes it is. But you simplify too much. Cannabutter is not Sativex. The only difference between Sativex and what we do is they have a more focused and pure product that is easily deliverable in a non-toxic manner. There is nothing else added but an inert medium to acheive delivery of these healing components into the human system. That's all.

GW has created a medicine from cannabis plants and hopes to deliver it to milllions around the world that may need it. And yes, those nasty people are going to make some big bucks, but hey.. the beauty of capitalism.

GW, who makes Sativex, stated in a press release that 1500 people worldwide are currently using Sativex. GW has won FDA approval to begin first stage testing of Sativex. This testing is done under very controlled and scientific environments. Each country is about the same in the Western world. The procedure takes at least 5 years if not longer and then after years on the market and after billions of doses have been used, like Vioxx, drugs can be recalled if data so dictates. That's what the FDA "normally" does. These agencies are about the same in all countries.. the only difference, our FDA has become politicized by the marijuana-as-medicine matter. And your views seem to be politicized in this matter.

Your analogy makes no sense when you understand the big picture. There will be thousands tested in the US, and in England also (half way through testing), and Canada already accepted it into their pharmaceutical inventory will tract the data they accumulate from the field.

Do you really think it hasn't been professionally tested with the highest standards of protocal? If you don't.. smoke some more pot and for God's sake don't ever do Sativex.

Back
Top Bottom