Should i still keep budding

It all depends on what caused the hermorphism to begin with. I've been growing this great plant for 22 years now and have only seen maybe 5 real hermies that produced male and female flowers from the start. All 5 were from the beginning days when all seeds were either from a friend or a bag. Most hermies do occure from stress. Light leaks being just one of these types of stress. And yes the seed is considered to be a feminized seed by some but why take the chance? Why go through all the trouble to grow a crop only to end up with a bag of commercial with more stems and seeds than weed? The hermie trait is a inferior trait that "will" be carried with the plant and stress will make it appear with each seed. It can be bred out but most growers won't even attempt to breed with hermie seeds as the genes aren't considered stable.

Racefan are you sure that the seeds will be guaranteed Hermi's? Femenized seeds are created through using hermaphordised plants. I don't know about plants that self fertilize, could be a completely different situation.

^^ never mind, it was already discussed. . . .

Brett...feminized seeds are not from hermie plants. Most feminized seeds come from 2 processes. One is the use of a outside source that makes male flowers appear on a female plant. Gibberellic acid is one of these outside sources. Another home option is to use a aspirin in water solution and spray certain areas of the female. The 2nd way was developed by Soma and is called rhodelization or something like that. You basically force a female to develop male bananas in a last ditch effort to continue on its' genetics. The way to do this is to continue growing a female well past the maturation date. The female plant will throw out male bananas. Collect the pollen and use it on a separate female that is early in flower. To use seed from a female pollinated by a true hermie would carry that hermie gene on to all the offspring.

OHHHhhh, I've been mis understanding the entire process of femenized seeds for a while then.

Back
Top Bottom