South Carolina: Dozens Rally In Support Of Legalized Medical Marijuana

Jacob Redmond

Over six dozen supporters of medical marijuana gathered in One City Plaza in Greenville Saturday.

They shared personal stories with the group of supporters.

The event was organized by Emily McSherry, founder of Yeah That Cure.

"I didn't see anyone else in Greenville really trying to raise awareness of this issue," McSherry said.

McSherry suffers from seizures caused by epilepsy. She uses a legal remedy called cannabidiol. It's made from the marijuana plant, but doesn't cause symptoms of getting high.

McSherry is hoping a new medical marijuana bill would make it through the South Carolina Senate.

"Even though it started out researching for my own use, now I feel the compassion of being able to expand this for use for everyone in our state, everyone in the country, in the world even," McSherry said.

There are some who don't agree with McSherry.

"The picture of it being safe and benign and not a big deal is a problem," said Rich Jones, executive director of Faces and Voices of Recovery, an organization that helps people recover from substance abuse. Jones says medical marijuana shouldn't be legalized.

"It creates a mentality that it's acceptable and it's okay, and increases the number of kids who will try this," Jones said.

For now, those who support medical use of the drug will continue to take their message to the streets.

McSherry plans to hold an educational seminar in July.

Medical marijuana is now legal in Georgia. Gov. Nathan Deal signed the bill April 17.

The drug is not allowed to be sold in the state. Only prescribed cannabis oils are allowed for certain medical conditions.

51045.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Dozens rally in Greenville in support of legalized medical marijuana | Local News - WYFF Home
Author: Corey Davis
Photo Credit: Matt Volz

Jones wants pot kept illegal, so his recovery house's book stays fat.

Rich Jones, executive director of Faces and Voices of Recovery says this about legalizing marijuana;
"It creates a mentality that it's acceptable and it's okay, and increases the number of kids who will try this,"

Well Jones; smoking cigarettes has always been legal and yet the number of kids that smoke goes down every year
A main point here is that this is a recovery house with an agenda to stay in business, and I'd bet many of their patients are sent there for using marijuana, by the courts. Not their parents or because they are turning themselves in. Which if it was legal or at least decriminalized that wouldn't be so easy to do, they might even get Govt. funding which they certainly don't want to lose. And the main reason people are going to these recovery places for pot (which is a :laughtwo: anyway as it is not actually addictive) in the first place is usually because of a plea bargain trying to stay out of jail. Not because pot is ruining anyone's lives. Other than the legal aspects of it, of course.

Back
Top Bottom