'Sweet Mary Jane' Teaches How To Bake With Marijuana

Jacob Redmond

Zo-Zo Snaps.

Maple-Pumpkin Moon Pies.

Berry Entertaining Blueberry Coffee Cake.

And Pop Rocks Sandwich Cookies. Yes. Pop Rocks Sandwich Cookies!

What do these delicious-sounding recipes have that other goodies don't?

The treats are high-end sweets infused with cannabis, and described in Karin Lazarus' new cookbook, "Sweet Mary Jane."

Her recipes include quips like "This taste-of-heaven, melt-in-your-mouth, mind-blowing treat will bring you to the point of no return" and "It's sassy and might make you do bad things, like want to eat the whole batch. But don't. Seriously, don't."

The cookbook is based on Lazarus's bakery in Boulder, which sells baked goods to marijuana dispensaries.

The cookbook is not a "stoner book," or the treats, stoner food. Lazarus hopes the recipes will be used for medical patients or social gatherings.

She will be hosting a book signing at Old Firehouse Books in Fort Collins on Thursday, June 11 and the Boulder Bookstore in Boulder on July 7.

Lazarus took the big leap in 2010 to step into a new industry and open a cannabis bakery.

"This is something where I knew I could do it my way, not that we're not following a million rules," Lazarus said. "But it felt like it was something different, something that would be so unique."

Lazarus works under a medical "Marijuana-Infused Products" license that allows her to sell to medical dispensaries but not to individuals.

In designing her recipes, she said, "I experimented. I called people. I looked up things. I started working with the products I know that do well to see how they work with cannabis."

She had some failures but played around inventing new recipes, trying to figure out what people would enjoy and masking the cannabis taste.

"At the beginning, I had no idea how to get the amounts right. It's very important to be careful with your dosing," she said. She uses several levels of dosing in her book.

It is important to note that smoking marijuana has more immediate effects than eating it. Edibles can take up to two hours to feel and the duration can last up to eight hours.

"You want to be careful about that. It's all according to the person and their metabolism," she said.

The base ingredients in her cookbook that are infused with cannabis include "Buddha Budda" (like a butter), "Coconut Bliss" (coconut oil) or "Hey Sugar!" (cannabis-infused sugar).

Her recipes all use one of these base ingredients, and it took some time for her to come up with the infused sugar concept.

"One of my favorites (recipes) is Walnut Fantasy," she said. "I like the flavor of caramel and the way the walnuts are toasty on top of this dark, rich brownie."

Another one of her favorites and first recipes is "True Confections," which is a peanut butter truffle sandwiched between two pretzels dipped in dark chocolate and drizzled with white chocolate.

"'Merciful' has been a standard brownie since day 1. People have this thing that the go-to is the pot brownie," Lazarus said. "Our Merciful is just so nice. All these different chocolates that work well together."

She reminds people often in the book about limits and not eating too much cannabis.

"I just want to see what people think," Lazarus said. "My favorite thing is when a patient calls us up that says 'My Parkinson's or MS or epilepsy is in check.' When I hear that it's just the best thing in the world. I'm excited for people to get relief through cannabis. I want them to feel better."

She added that the recipes can all be made without cannabis.

14825.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: 'Sweet Mary Jane' teaches how to bake with pot - Loveland Reporter-Herald
Author: Jessica Benes
Photo Credit: Matthew Jonas / Staff Photographer
Website: 'Sweet Mary Jane' teaches how to bake with pot - Loveland Reporter-Herald

Back
Top Bottom