Two PACs Hope To Legalize Recreational Marijuana In Ohio

Jacob Redmond

Area legislators and mental-health professionals are watching with keen interest as two political action committees promote their petition drives for constitutional amendments that would legalize recreation marijuana in Ohio.

The petition drive coordinated by Columbus-based ResponsibleOhio was approved by the Ohio Ballot Board in March.

Already, ResponsibleOhio drive's organizers have collected 370,000 signatures from registered voters, far exceeding the 305,591 signatures required to have its proposal placed on the November 2015 ballot.

The other group, Toledo-based Better for Ohio, had its petition approved by the ballot board on May 14. The group has 40,000 signatures on its petitions as of this writing.

It is possible that both proposals could be on the November 2015 ballot.

If that happens, Ohioans who want to vote in favor of legalization would choose between plans that would provide for the growth, distribution and sale of recreational marijuana.

Also included in both proposals are parameters for distribution of tax dollars generated by the sale of marijuana to cities, villages, townships and other government entities.

According to an estimate provided by ResponsibleOhio, by 2020 the tax on legalized marijuana would generate upwards of $550 million annually for the state.

Should voters approve the amendment proposal, Ohio would join Alaska, Colorado, Oregon and Washington as states with legalized recreational marijuana.

State Sen. Kenneth Yuko, D-Richmond Heights, said at this point in time he's not favorably inclined to amending the state constitution to legalize recreational marijuana.

"I am a strong proponent of (state sanctioning of) medicinal marijuana in Ohio. People are suffering and they need it," Yuko said. "But I want to stay out of the battle over recreational marijuana. There are too many questions. Also, people always find ways to beat the system."

State Rep. Ron Young, R-Leroy Township, said it was "strange" to have two marijuana legalization proposals seeking places on the November ballot.

"I need to study this issue more, but I'm not supportive of the referendum as I understand it now," Young said. "I don't like the part of it has folks being allowed to grow it in their homes."

Young also is skeptical of projections of how much tax revenue the state stands to gain if recreational marijuana is legalized.

"Whenever this happens, like it did when Ohio legalized gambling, It seems like they promise the world and deliver a lot less," Young said.

Also skeptical of proposals for legalized recreational marijuana in Ohio is state Rep. John Rogers, D-Mentor-on-the-Lake.

Rogers pointed to his co-sponsoring of a bill that would legalize use of a marijuana derivative to treat seizure disorders. That bill is stuck in committee.

"I'm always looking for ways to make peoples' lives better, and there are cases where medical marijuana does that," Rogers said. "I'm not sure legalization of recreational marijuana is the right mechanism, though."

Rogers is bothered that leaders of Republican majorities in the state House and Senate aren't taking the initiative on legalization of recreational marijuana as the two petition drives move forward.

"I would rather we draft the legislation to create laws that legalize marijuana and allow the state to regulate it, rather than be forced to react if one or both of the amendments pass," Rogers said.

"I'm not aware of any pro-active approach in the House to look at the proposals and say, 'If passed, what will we do?'" Rogers added.

"To me, that's not leadership. We're not stepping up to the plate in state government on this issue."

Dueling Proposals

There is no love lost between the organizers of ResponsibleOhio and Better for Ohio.

ResponsibleOhio was first into the fray. The group has a bankroll estimated at $36 million and boasts a group of investors including former pro basketball star Oscar Robertson, Cincinnati-born entertainer Nick Lachey and pro football player Frostee Rucker, formerly of the Cleveland Browns.

Some of those investors could end up being involved in the production of marijuana if voters approve the amendment.

"Our investors are incredibly accomplished individuals who've started businesses and created tens of thousands of jobs," ResponsibleOhio spokeswoman Lydia Bolander said.

"These are people who know what they are doing and are taking a considerable risk," Bolander added. "They've been very forthcoming about their motives not just for themselves but for individuals from across the state who would benefit from legalization."

Better for Ohio is the brainchild of Ed Howard, a Toledo architect who said he started the PAC in March after reading the particulars of ResponsibleOhio's proposal.

Howard said he was especially put off by ResponsibleOhio's model of having the state authorize 10 licensed growers.

"Many Ohioans, myself included, didn't like the idea of the state being involved in backroom dealing and the creation of a cartel," Howard said.

"Then I saw how much money they'd raised and reached the conclusion someone needed to raise opposition to their plan,'' Howard added.

On the Better for Ohio website, there is a toolbar entry for "Crush RO," referring to ResponsibleOhio.

Bolander was asked about the scathing references to ResponsibleOhio on the competing plan's website.

"After three months on this campaign, nothing surprises me," Bolander said.

Bolander said her group makes no apology for its funding or the detailed nature of its business plan for the state.

"We think our proposal is the best for Ohio and the only one that will pass," Bolander said. "We're not quietly confident about that, we're publicly confident. The polling we see every day tells us people are eager to have the opportunity to legalize in Ohio."

Howard freely acknowledges that Better for Ohio's proposal shares many provisions with ResponsibleOhio's.

"We use the same system, basically, but our proposal is better for the state and the people of Ohio," Howard said.

Howard pointed his group's model of combining 10 large licensed growers with 30 smaller growers as being the far more inclusive business model.

"Our proposal is better. Let's put them both on the ballot and see which one people prefer," Howard said.

Completely Opposed

The push to legalize recreational marijuana in Ohio has a foe in Kim Frazier, executive director of the Lake County Alcohol, Drug Addiction and Mental Health Services board.

Frazier said she and many of her fellow mental health professionals in the Ohio Association of County Behavioral Health Authorities are similarly opposed to any measure that would add Ohio to the list of 10 states that have legalized the use of marijuana for medicinal purposes.

"We are challenged every day with individuals who become addicted to illegal substances and alcohol," Frazier said.

"The repercussions of those addictions on families, friends and workplaces are significant. To legalize marijuana is contrary to what we're doing."

Frazier said the federal Food and Drug Administration and not the states should make determinations about medical marijuana use.

Arguments about the tax dollar windfall to be produced by legalizing marijuana in Ohio do not sway Frazier.

"If marijuana is legalized, there is a strong belief we will see many more people suffering and in need of treatment," Frazier said. "I'm not that optimistic too many of those dollars will flow to those of us providing the services."

Two Plans To Legalize

There are many areas of common ground in the two proposed ballot initiatives to amend Ohio's constitution to legalize recreational marijuana.

However, there are some structural and procedural differences of note in the plans laid out by ResponsibleOhio and Better for Ohio.

14466.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Two PACs hope to legalize recreational marijuana in Ohio
Author: David Glasier
Photo Credit: None Found
Website: The News-Herald: Breaking News, Sports, Business, Entertainment & Northern Ohio News

Back
Top Bottom