U.S. Drug Agents Raid 13 Medical Marijuana Sites

SmokeyMacPot

Federal agents fanned out across San Diego County on Monday, executing simultaneous search warrants on 13 medical marijuana dispensaries that have been selling pot to sick and dying patients.
No one was arrested on suspicion of drug-dealing, officials said, but agents seized dozens of pounds of high-grade marijuana along with equipment, computers, patient files and other materials inside the storefront offices.

In most cases, the agents arrived unannounced with guns drawn. They handcuffed employees and ran background checks on both workers and patients. They used drug-sniffing dogs to seek out marijuana and carted away computers and other equipment in trucks and sport-utility vehicles.

A handful of people were arrested on outstanding warrants that were unrelated to the use or possession of medical marijuana, a spokesman for the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration said.

Officials characterized the law-enforcement action as part of an ongoing criminal investigation. But they declined to say if or when any charges would be brought against the dispensary operators.

"We're still in the course of our investigation," DEA spokesman Misha Piastro said.

The raids were conducted on dispensaries doing business in San Diego and San Marcos after undercover agents purchased marijuana without the paperwork required under state law, Piastro said.

In 1996, California voters approved the use of marijuana for patients who have a doctor's recommendation, despite the fact that federal law prohibits marijuana use under any circumstance. As a result, federal agents still make arrests in California, while cities and counties either follow the state law or the federal mandate.

In San Diego County, the Board of Supervisors recently refused to follow a provision of the state law and issue identification cards that would help medical marijuana users avoid arrest. Last month, they went a step further and said they would file a lawsuit to challenge the state law.

The supervisors voted against the identification cards even after being criticized earlier this year by the San Diego County grand jury. The jury's report said the supervisors had ignored the will of California voters and should take "all possible action" to promote access to marijuana for seriously ill patients.

Source: SignOnSanDiego.com (CA)
Author: Jeff McDonald
Published: December 12, 2005
Copyright: 2005 SignOnSanDiego.com

WOW! In a time when we are being repeatedly told terrorism is a reality, when we are at WAR in the middle east, in a country that drasticaly needs a revised border control and policy, health care, welfare, and health issues that need to be addressed....THIS is what your tax dollars aer being spent on; Arresting sick people for using a plant that has been voter approved for use. And the SHAME I feel for being American just keeps growing, and growing, and growing......
-PM

Some people..

We can only surmize that the Feds were invited by the San Diego County Commisssioners who are suing the State's Mandated Medical Marijuana ID Program while refusng to institute it.

Just a wild-ass assumption.. :nomo:

Pinch, i am so fucking enrageed right now!!!!!!!!! Next step is finding out who these fucktards who are implementing these policies (Basicaly denying the will of the people who elected them, their JOB as government representatives of the people) so we can have them promptly removed.
-PM

Thats so pathetic, Instead of them going out there and busting people for horrible and REAL crimes like murder, There Busting pot smokers that actually need it for health reasons, It's not like these people are a bunch of teens selling it for the money, they're selling it to those who need it. What a bunch of fuckers

Thanks for getting this up somewhere more people can see it Smokey.

-spty

Why I'll be a suck-egg-mule.. there you are Mr Spy. I had forgotten you had moved south.. beautiful country.. crazy politics! :smokin:

Why, hello there Mr. Pinch. Yes, have been down here since September. Just got a steady job finally about a month ago, and just only since Monday have I had internet at home.

I had been to a few of the dispensaries down here before I read about the news one morning on canorml.org when I was looking for a new one to try. Having been to about 2 dozen up in the Bay Area in my time as a medical patient, I'd have to say thats there's only about 2 of the 10 or so dispensaries I had gone to down here. But of course, I was sad to hear this news. Completely pathtetic to see these elected officials voting against what the people who voted them in, approved.

Cool. SD is a neat city. My daughter has lived there for 10 years now and wouldn't live anywhere else. Congrats on the new job.. go to 215420.org to get an update on the dispensaries in SD. Enjoy my friend!

PS: Maricare was shut down.. politics.

Yeah, I was up there not too long ago, and made a stop by Maricare one last time, they will be moving locations as of the 26th of december, to an, as of now, undisclosed location. They told me that if I call around a week before the move, they could tell me where the new location will be. Hopefully it will still be somewhere in Contra Costa County and not too far from its current location. Thanks for the info on 215420.org!

PM said it best.

Back
Top Bottom