Using my sunroom

cbw059

Please help somebody!!!! I live in the northeast. And in the back of my house have a large sun room 7X8 ft (all glass incluing roof) direct sunlight 90 to 100%) during day. I am on a large peice of properity with no nearby neighbors. I was thinking, If I veg in the basemsement could I flower year round in the sunroom? Would this be better, worst, or the same as HPS (it would be a lot cheaper for sure). 2. would a autoflower be an option in this circumstance? BTW the room already has ventilations and I was thinking during the winter there would be no need to heat an additional space such as the garage. Somebody give me a thoughtful opinion!

The only concern I could think of while thinking about this would be the fact we are nearing winter. which of course means short days and long nights. This will have serious ramifications on the growth cycle of the plant. they would grow sure (as long as you keep the room warm) but it would be very slow.

often the glass in sunrooms is uv filtered.
i know of many growers that use greenhouses/sunrooms all year, depending on your latitude and weather there could be plenty of light for winter crops. ad in some C02 and keep temps and RH in tune and lookout!

It would be better if the glass were not of the UV-filtering variety.

You would wish to ensure that your plants receive adequate light-hours during the part of the year when there is less than 12 hours of strong light (and on overcast days), which means that for best results you would want to install supplemental lighting.

And you would wish to install some kind of light-blocking device, be it powered 100%-blackout blinds or merely a portable opaque cover/container for each plant, for the periods of the year when the room is receiving more than 12 hours(*) of light.

(*) You'll find that some - probably most, actually - strains do not require exactly 12 hours of darkness to flower. Some strains will happily flower with 13 hours (and would tend to produce more), for example. The "12:12" rule is used because it will work with almost every strain. But in any event, you would wish to be able to control the length of the day/night cycles. The "doesn't need exactly 12:12" thing is something that outdoor growers would be more likely to observe - their plants begin flowering at a time when there is less than 12 hours of darkness; as the dark period increases in length, the process of flowering tends to speed up. But I'm rambling off-topic.

Back
Top Bottom