Using Tempered Hardboard for Walls

upinvapor

Ok, So I am setting up a grow box. I was going to use plywood, but have heard from others how heavy that makes the box, so I went to Lowe's last night and found this:

DPI 48-in x 24-in Brown Hardboard Pegboard

This is tempered hardboard that is 3/16 " thick and looks like it would be perfect for my setup.

I will be lining the hardboard walls with mylar sheeting that I picked up from my local Hydro shop. I will be using either 2x2 or 2x4 or some combo of the two for the frame. I was thinking mainly 2x2s and then use a set of 2x4s in the flowering room as frame for the wall to use to support a 2x4 I would be putting across the top to hang the 400W HPS from. What do you guys think, particularly the hardboard?

It sounds like your using masonite. It would take a lot to soak it, I would just either paint it flat white or just glue or staple mylar to it. If the white tile board is cheap go with that. The 400 is a good choice not to much heat yet plenty of light. Looks like your on your way to a 420 grow.:peace:

Thanks for the advice! I am thinking maybe I will just use the white hardboard for my walls and use a piece of plywood for the floor of the box since that is the most likely place to get water on it. I will line the walls with mylar prior to screwing them together and will caulk the corners/seams/etc. I would go with just white paint or white panels if I had not already spent so much on this roll of mylar sheeting.

The next time you're at the Depot or Lowes, go to the back where they keep the hot water heater venting supplies and you'll find the drip pans they make for hot water heaters and washing machines. They are very inexpensive, shallow, and white and are perfect for catching water run off so it does not damage or mold up on the floor of your your grow space. Small kiddy pools also work great for catching water run off.

The next time you're at the Depot or Lowes, go to the back where they keep the hot water heater venting supplies and you'll find the drip pans they make for hot water heaters and washing machines. They are very inexpensive, shallow, and white and are perfect for catching water run off so it does not damage or mold up on the floor of your your grow space. Small kiddy pools also work great for catching water run off.

That's a good idea. I will check that out. I had bought some clear plastic rubbermade type containers that are not very deep that I was originally going to put under a wire topped short table I was going to make for the plants but have since decided to just put the plant pots on the floor. I will check out those drip pans.

Back
Top Bottom