What happened to the Kush?

spice

Fifteen years ago some guys I knew grew this strain from a place called ubino (now hemcy) called simply 'hindu kush', it was awesome, awesome stuff, 8 weeks finish time, tasted like cotton candy, and was potent.

I was in Denver CO last year and was immersed in some local gro-scenes there and while there were several kush derivatives there, I could not understand what ppl were raving about, none of those kushes could have carried the 1996 'hindu kush' strains jock.

What has happened?

These newer kushes dont have the flavor, size, OR potency that I remember.

Was it just those growers (probably)????

They were all hydro guys there, HPS/CO2, etc

but the guys that were doing it 15 years ago were hydro guys too...

Has the strain become that weak in 15 years or were those guys not producing respectable examples of the line?

First the Kush thing is going off and is a hybrid mayhem against the old kush strains.

CA OG KUSH is one of the highest rated strains ever, using gas chromatographic recently I saw THC levels at 23% in a recent OG strain.

What you are noticing is the hybrids muttin. People growing bagseed with a special name.

I recently saw some MauiWowi that was real, hashy first then sweet. That special thing people remember from the mid 90's.

But these F1 through F4 phenotypes are not even kush anymore, commercialized garbage.

Nowdays you gotta personally know a "brother with a mother" who has taken multiple clones to harvest for years to get a real Kush. Or buy from online and pray you are not a sucker.

Also the scene in Denver sucks butt hole compared to Nor-Cal. So you got a bunch of hype.

A buddy showed me some stuff the other day along the new strain kush lines, Orange Kush, Master Kush, Berry Kush, Vanilla Kush, Rick Kush, Hash Kush, Mexi-Kush.

It was the OG Kush MALE crossed with CA Orange Kush FEMALE that blew my mind.
The Phenos were obviously varied for each seed. And only like 3 of 20 ( 9 males tossed) even held to the "orange" part. He got about 10 different Phenotypes from each cross. There was like six different plant sizes. crazy. But now in all he now has 3 guaranteed OG X Orange Kush crosses that have every pheno he needed to call Kush.

Back-crossing a really nice FEM/male OG Kush that produced at the extreme THC ratio doesn't mean you get the power either. Lately he is stating that 1 of the OG Master Kush hybrids was lower than 10% THC and another was holding 20%+. That phenotype variation.

I got a bag of GDP X Diesel one time that was so awesome looking, smelling, tasting, boutique was incredible yet it was such low THC, I kept calling out BUNK.

Yes the hybrids can get up there, perform in the extremes with selection controls, but it used to be you could grow 10 seeds and end up with 4-5 females of the same f-1 pheno, now 10 seeds take 3 generations to find what you wanted and you have 10 phenos that you must go 100% harvest then clone to assure what you are calling Orange, is actually orange.

My question is: When did it become acceptable to take orphan bag-seed to harvest and then upon first smoke noticing a chocolate flavor, you start just call it Chocolate Kush? That seems intellectually dishonest but then again the Dutch have no conscious and did that for years.

Back
Top Bottom