Wiring help please

chillybuds

help needed please anyone lol

i have a artic cooling pc fan and im having problems wiring it up. iv only managed like the slowest of slow spins. tried with a old charger and with a higher output plug too..

specs are ; 12v, 0.18A 23000rpm

its a 64 silencer ultra Arctic Cooling Silencer 64 Ultra TC Athlon64 Heatsink Review - FrostyTech.com

iv tried with

1-

input 230v - 50hz 140mA
ouput 12V 1.5A

and

input 230V 50hz 21mA 4.8va
output 3.7V 355mA

i have a artic cooling pc fan and im having problems wiring it up. iv only managed like the slowest of slow spins. tried with a old charger and with a higher output plug too..

its a 64 silencer ultra Arctic Cooling Silencer 64 Ultra TC Athlon64 Heatsink Review - FrostyTech.com

iv tried with

1-

input 230v - 50hz 140mA
ouput 12V 1.5A

and

output 3.7V 355mA

Supply 1 should work.

Supply 2 lacks voltage has 3.7v but you need 12v

iv tried with

1-

input 230v - 50hz 140mA
ouput 12V 1.5A

and

output 3.7V 355mA

Im no electrician but does your fan have 2 (black, red) or 3 (black, red & Yellow) wires coming from it? if you wire up the 3 wire (black, red, yellow) fan incorrectly it will burn out the fan even with just 12v going into it.

I have a 230v input to 12v 1amp output plug adapter which i run 5 computer fans. Each fan is 12v 0.18 amp so all five fans draw a total amount of current of 0.9 amps. Just below the output of the plug adapter which is 12v 1 amp.

I'm thinking if you put just one 12v 0.18 amp fan onto your 12v 1.5 amp output plug it will probably work for a while till it starts to smoke :)
Im no electrician so im probably wrong :)

Im no electrician but does your fan have 2 (black, red) or 3 (black, red & Yellow) wires coming from it? if you wire up the 3 wire (black, red, yellow) fan incorrectly it will burn out the fan even with just 12v going into it.

I have a 230v input to 12v 1amp output plug adapter which i run 5 computer fans. Each fan is 12v 0.18 amp so all five fans draw a total amount of current of 0.9 amps. Just below the output of the plug adapter which is 12v 1 amp.

I'm thinking if you put just one 12v 0.18 amp fan onto your 12v 1.5 amp output plug it will probably work for a while till it starts to smoke :)
Im no electrician so im probably wrong :)

The load determines current draw. The voltage being too high or low would fry stuff, but amperage rating is just a maximum. Simple ohms law math.

Im running 12v 1amp output to a 120mm pc fan. Been going for ages and spins at a nice speed. I do remember trying a lower amp supply and it spinning slow so not sure if the 1.5 u have is a charger or a direct power supply. I used a modem power supply in the end no elec by any means but would a chargers output be different to a normal electrical device power supply?

you can get very cheap power supplies online or if you have an old pc you can rip the power supply from it instead. If you connect the fan to a known, good 12v car battery it should tell you if your fan will spin fast before you purchase a supply.

I use this type below for all my 12v needs.Very handy to have and usually variable to a degree depending on which you choose
vs20_a.jpg

If you are just using a charging transformer from a phone or such then they aren`t up to much and only for trickle charging batteries.

Make sure the output of your 12 volt supply is DC (Direct Current) as it is possible that it could be 12 volts AC (Alternating Current) which will not work with your fan (which requires DC).
With regards to (A) amps or milliamps (mA), as long as you are suppying the minimum required by the fan it's fine. You could theoretically use a 10,000 amp 12 volt supply but it'd probably be somewhat over kill.

Back
Top Bottom