5th District candidate charged after raid at home

Roachclip

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - A Democrat running for Congress was charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor after a raid at his home in King.

Andrew Winfrey, 33, is one of two Democrats and eight Republicans who hope to replace U.S. Rep. Richard Burr, who is running for the U.S. Senate.

Police raided Winfrey's home early Friday after a two-month investigation into the possible illegal sale and use of drugs at his house, officials said.

Winfrey told the Winston-Salem Journal that a search warrant named his brother, Larry Ray Winfrey, who lives at the house with his daughter. He said he believed officers found some marijuana seeds in his 15-year-old niece's bedroom but no other illegal substances.

"I think, when they came in, my niece had some alcohol on her breath or something," he said. "She lives with me, but my brother is her legal guardian. Because she was in my house, they charged me with contributing to the delinquency of a minor. I didn't know anything about it."

Winfrey and his brother both face the same charge. A third person was charged with marijuana possession.

Police said the investigation is continuing and more charges are expected.

The Miami Herald
Sat, Jul. 10, 2004
South FL Things To Do, Restaurants & Nightlife | miami.com

Back
Top Bottom