Veterans Diagnosed With PTSD Needed For Clinical Study Of Marijuana

Katelyn Baker

The first federally approved clinical trial on marijuana as a treatment for post-traumatic stress is now underway.

Researchers on Monday began administering marijuana to the first participant of a trial approved by the Drug Enforcement Administration and the Food and Drug Administration, with an intention to create a cannabis-based legal prescription drug, reports Military.com.

The $2.2 million trial, funded by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, will test four different potencies of medical marijuana by allowing 76 veterans to smoke it, according to the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS).

"We are thrilled to see this study overcome the hurdles of approval so we can begin gathering the data," Amy Emerson said in a written statement from MAPS. "This study is a critical step in moving our botanical drug development program forward at the federal level to gather information on the dosing, risks and benefits of smoked marijuana for PTSD symptoms."

Dr. Sue Sisley, the trial's lead researcher, has attempted to launch similar trials for several years before finally gaining approval for the current trial. She believes veterans are now desperate for some sort of treatment for PTSD.

"I could never reach that level of relief with traditional medications, so I knew I had to keep going," Sisley told Military.com.

Researchers are still looking for vets suffering from PTSD to help researchers study the clinical trial. Volunteers will visit clinics located at either the Scottsdale Research Institute in Arizona and John Hopkins University in Baltimore for a total of 17 times throughout a 12-week period.

To apply, email arizona@marijuanasites.org or call John Hopkins at (410) 550-0050.

vet2.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Veterans Diagnosed With PTSD Needed For Clinical Study Of Marijuana
Author: Oscar Pascual
Photo Credit: None Found

Back
Top Bottom