Gore Questions Medical Marijuana

T

The420Guy

May 10,00
The Associated Press
Source: StarTribune
Al Gore said Thursday that there are better alternatives to the medical use of marijuana because " the science does not show... that it is the proper medication for pain."
The Democratic presidential candidate, on a visit to a high school, was asked by a student for his position on whether doctors should be allowed to prescribe marijuana to treat pain. Gore said that question should be decided " strictly on the science." " Right now, the science does not show me or the experts whose judgment I trust that it is the proper medication for pain and that there
are not better alternatives available in every situation, " he responded.
The vice president said it was his " belief and understanding" that there is " no reliable evidence" that marijuana " is a superior, effective treatment for pain in any situation where there is not a better alternative
available today." " But if the science ever shows that it is, then that should determine the
outcome, " he added. Gore, who mentioned his sister' s death from cancer in 1984, said that it
is very important that people suffering through painful illnesses not be denied pain medication.
Last December, during a forum in New Hampshire, Gore said he was open to the idea of letting doctors prescribe the illegal drug for patients to
manage pain. He said sister' s doctor had prescribed marijuana for her, but that she refused to take it. " If it had worked for her, then I think she should have had the ability to get her pain relieved that way, " Gore said at the time.
He also said he did not favor legalizing marijuana, " but where you have sufficient controls, I think doctors ought to have that option" to prescribe it.
The Clinton-Gore administration has vigorously opposed marijuana initiatives on state ballots, saying they would prejudge clinical research
to determine the safety of marijuana.

Cudahy, Calif. (AP)
Copyright 2000 Associated Press

Back
Top Bottom