1st attempt at DWC hydro but

So, 2/3, I moved the old girls into a 3 girl 10 gallon and the other two(the baby and the weakling) I moved to 5 gallon dwc- which my goal is to have only these two moving towers and doing a major mainline on my next grow.
As for the move- it wasn't the most painless- I think I over nuted the weakling and there a little root stress on the three big girls but I'm hoping both are fine. Really looking forward to the baby thriving in the new home. We will see.
420-magazine-mobile292661386.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1613755352.jpg
420-magazine-mobile858249532.jpg

I did a little pruning in the three together- they are growing pretty fast- I removed a ton of leaves.

Sent from mikeytv

I would try to cover up the white on the bucket.

Because it could let to much light into the root zone and give you an issue with them.

I would try to cover up the white on the bucket.

Because it could let to much light into the root zone and give you an issue with them.

It's actually a blue and orange lids from lowes/ Home Depot. I was thinking it would be better then dark blue and orange.

Sent from mikeytv

Update- all going well. I feel I'm able to keep my water ph level very well balanced using my feeding schedule- i.e.- when my ppm is low I tend to rise in ph too.. so increasing ppm seems to balance my ph- maybe this is obvious but new to me!
420-magazine-mobile1035795971.jpg
420-magazine-mobile704459806.jpg
420-magazine-mobile355395156.jpg

Sent from mikeytv

How high is your ppm currently? When I am in veg I am around 900 and during flowering I am around 1200. But my pH changes daily. It starts at 5.5 and climbs to 6.2 then I pH down til res change. But to me it's normal for it to rise while they are feeding BC everything in your res changes. BC she eats what she need

my new dwc Afghan Kush run and flowering mothers

I tried to find this in my photos so I could just leave the image Mikey, but it's buried deep in there. :) So here's a link to a chart that will give you an idea what to do when pH and ppm make swings you aren't expecting, and to help understand what goes on in dwc.

https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/PH-EC_Chart1.jpg

How high is your ppm currently? When I am in veg I am around 900 and during flowering I am around 1200. But my pH changes daily. It starts at 5.5 and climbs to 6.2 then I pH down til res change. But to me it's normal for it to rise while they are feeding BC everything in your res changes. BC she eats what she need

my new dwc Afghan Kush run and flowering mothers

Yeah, maybe I should clarify- ph does slowly rise on me between feedings and if needed I may add ph down but at most only once between feedings then adding nutes keeps things level until the cycle begins again.

To your questions-
800-1000 is my goal but I seem to end up on the low end of that. Drops to 350-500. 80 of that is my water prior to nutes. I welcome all advice! I never take it personally! Lol

I had some (what looked like) nute burn on a dwc that I did up nutes on so I have been erring on the side of caution with my big girls... maybe I should up my nutes?

Sent from mikeytv

Yeah, maybe I should clarify- ph does slowly rise on me between feedings and if needed I may add ph down but at most only once between feedings then adding nutes keeps things level until the cycle begins again.

To your questions-
800-1000 is my goal but I seem to end up on the low end of that. Drops to 350-500. 80 of that is my water prior to nutes. I welcome all advice! I never take it personally! Lol

I had some (what looked like) nute burn on a dwc that I did up nutes on so I have been erring on the side of caution with my big girls... maybe I should up my nutes?

Sent from mikeytv
For myself i use only 1/2 of recommendation from companies. I use GH products so i mix 5 gallons of water. So for example it would call 7.5 per gallon i mix 5 gallons so i use 20 to 25 ml for 5 gallons. But i think companies jack up the amount to use bc it costs money. But at the levels i use i still get a high ppm. But i use a lot of additives like earth juice hi-brix, Cal-Mag, armor si, fox farm three part bloom booster and most importantly mammoth p. Those are what makes my ppm rise and get a full feeding of each ingredient

I also prefer single dwc buckets, as opposed to multiple site dwc. When multiple your roots get crazy. When single you feed only one plant so you can adjust if there is any problems

I also prefer single dwc buckets, as opposed to multiple site dwc. When multiple your roots get crazy. When single you feed only one plant so you can adjust if there is any problems

Great point. I have one tub that has 3 in 3" net pots. I am practicing mainlining on my soil grow so my plans is to only have two 5 gallon dwc at end of day. That's why I didn't bother moving the biggest 2 from the 3 pot tub.. If they don't get as big its ok(not ideal, I will try to get them as big as I can for the space. )

Sent from mikeytv

So... I'm noticing my dwc is stretching more than my soil. That said, soil seems to have much heftier branches overall.
Otherwise, color and all are good. Very happy plants. Ph is inching up to 6-6.2 but I'm keeping it under control. My 3 plant Tupperware is using a fair amount of water- seems I need a gallon every few days. Ppm rises as level goes down so it's a little confusing but I'm figuring it out. The 2 dwc buckets are also doing well. Seems the baby has a little nute spots but minor and otherwise growing nicely. She is very small still and I'm pushing her way too soon but I included her in my 12/12 room because of air stone pump and the dwc is more an experiment this first time. Not that I want to hurt my girls but this is al a test to see if it's worth switching over to just dwc or keep soil. Anyhoo so far so good.
My question however-- going out of town. Under a week - my soil pots are fine but I'm worried about my dwc. This is small grow - not looking to invest in an electric ph balancer or anything too fancy. Not looking to add a reservoir unless it doesn't require modifications to my current set ups.
Ph has been doing pretty good and only rises slightly through the week. Just not sure if 5 days will be too many and cause major problems. Thinking I could fix everything right before I leave. Maybe drop ph down just a little more than normal with the idea it will take longer to rise to problem levels. Or is it better to be high ph over low ph? If one was better than the other?
I could also put more water in each dwc than normal before I leave to make sure I don't loose too much tends to be lower than pot level since roots are in the water directly.
Any thoughts/ ideas?

Sent from mikeytv

Another question- as mentioned, going out of town and need to see if there is anything I can add to help with water levels while I'm away, I noticed my tote which has 3 girls in it is drinking a lot of water everyday and as you know, when levels go down, ppm goes up.. unless I'm missing something, I don't see how to avoid this so wondering if there is a quick fix that I can somehow include to keep levels up. I guess I am wondering if there is a reservoir set up I can work up to keep levels but it won't mean any major modifications to existing simple dwc set ups. Let me know! Thanks!

Sent from mikeytv

Back
Top Bottom