1st Grow in 30 yrs 12/12 HPS from Seed

3/12/08 (day 20 on count)
2 more males showed today, so far total of 5 males. Very aggressive growth over the last few days they are not only expanding nodes but shooting up as well they grew at least 2” in the last 2 days.

So maybe i missed it but are you growing them out in the tub?

Hmmm, I guess you can call it a tub, indoor grow 400w HPS, all seeds were planted in a One18 gallon container, about 26" L, 20" W and 1.5' H.

SOB.. They just had to be on the outside :)

Thinning the heard now Boss, I am currently down to 6 plants in the big container. pic's when approved

Man, looking good. Didn't you say you had a few other that you were going to keep around to replace the males that you had to pull? Hope they turn out to be female. Thanks for the update.

Hiya Baremeat,

Yep they are still back there but they sort of went into a shock or something when I transplanted them from the peat pots, they just sat there for 3 weeks, over the last couple days they have been responding with growth.

Note:
When you see (day XX on count) this means since 02/22/08! This is the day that I saw the first seedlings pop out of the ground.

3/13/08 (day 21 on count)
Very aggressive growth over the last 24 hours they are not only expanding nodes but shooting up as well they grew at least another 1/2” in the last 24 hours. Another female showed her pretty little pistils today, so 2 females now.

3/14/08 (day 22 on count)
Another male showed today, so now a total of 6 males half the crop. Another female showed today, so far 3 confirmed females. Still strong aggressive growth they are not only expanding nodes but shooting up as well they grew another ½” over the last 24 hours.

The girls are looking good. Hope you have more. Glad to hear that the transplants are doing better. I was going to do the same. Had 4 extra started in Jiffy Pots off to the side. They had broke ground just before I had to leave over the weekend on some business. When I got back Sunday night they had dried up. So I will have to hope for good results from the other 12. Great looking pics. Wish my camera could take close ups like that.

3/15/08 (day 23 on count)
Don't know how it happened but the room got to 106° F sometime in the last 24 hours. UNK 09 (my first female) showed a big fan leaf with obvious heat stress; but besides that they seemed to enjoy the heat, UNK 09 grew about 2" the rest about a 1" or grew the nodes and leafs bigger. I raised the light about 2 — 4" because of the heat. 2 more females showed today, now there are 5 confirmed females.

3/16/08 (day 24 on count)
UNK 09 grew about 1" the rest about a 1" to 1½" and nodes and leafs grew bigger. Except SK#3 seems to be in trouble, has not shown sex yet but I think it's a girl, it's a runt, but I am concerned about it being over shadowed by the others to the point where it might suffer from not enough light, also it's paler than the others.

3/17/08 (day 25 on count)
Gave SK#3 some nutes yesterday and today it seemed worse, decided to chop it then have it suffer. It seemed to be stunned for quite a while now and it stopped showing good growth (she stayed at 3"and just never grew) and the other plants are taking over its space so much that it would have been over-run completely by tomorrow.

On a lighter note, I have 5 good growing females; the smallest one in the18 gallon container is (now since the demise of SK#3) is 8" SK#1 (she is a strong healthy plant), SK#2 is 9" tall, UNK 03 is 10" tall, UNK 03 1ft tall, and UNK 09 is a wild woman; she is 1ft 2½" tall already. Adjusted the light reflector to concentrate more light on the plants, soil moisture level is low I am going to water them tonight.

I also re-arranged the grow room to bring the 7 seedlings in the long/deep flowering box beside the big 18 gallon container so they get more direct light, It's a good thing I looked because a male had just shown his ugly head! 6 seedlings are left in the flowering box. They are weak, spindly and light green, so I gave them a little food with bat guano and did foliage spray of water on them. I'm guessing because they are not getting enough light is the reason why they are so pale because they have been getting the same feedings as the ones in the 18 gallon container?? But it is still Do or die for them because they are right in front of the box fan and getting blown to hell and back right now because their stems are so puny, either they green up and strengthen up or they are going to die!

Pics when approved!

pictures:

May she rest in peace :-(

new_layout.jpg

currently in 18 gallon container:

map.jpg

Group shot with height:

group_shot2.jpg

New Layout:

new_layout.jpg

Hiya FatJoe, :byebye:

Thank you for your advise, :blushsmile: I wanted to try this way of growing because this seems "cutting edge" growing, and even if these plants produce something that's what its all about isn't it :hmmmm:

I want to thank each and everyone of the growers here for your current and future support, if it wasn't for this site being available for me to study and apply "modern techniques" I would be doing a grow the "Old School" way at least a month from now outdoors. I guess this goes to show an Old Dog can learn and apply new tricks :blushsmile:

old_skool, your garden is looking very beautiful. I haven't been sold on the method of growing yet, but you could change my mind.

Herb fellow,
Thank you for your kind words :blushsmile:

Don't know why the pictures didn't post so here they are again:

May she rest in peace :-(

SK_3.jpg

currently in 18 gallon container:

map.jpg

Group shot with height:

group_shot2.jpg

New Layout:

new_layout.jpg

That is pretty cool . . . it is sort of like flowers in a flower box. Every house should have a couple!

Picture of the mini-forest :smokin:

mini-forest.jpg

You stick around here long and you'll be tryin all sorts of new things oldschool. You've got a nice setup and a great lamp. Perhaps one of these times I can talk you into some coco coir. That shit will blow your mind. Plants grow at least 1/3 faster in that stuff compaired to soil or even most hydro setups. Your doin a great job bro. Keep up the good work....:smokin:

Hi FatJoe,

Thank you for your kind words :blushsmile:

I bought some coco coir when I bought the room supplies because I saw on Atmosphere's grow he used it as well, but to tell the truth I have ZERO experience using coco coir and when I started I really didn't know how to prepare it so I fell back on my tried and true method of soil with modern amenities, which is quite different than adding some sand and planting seeds outside.

I am ready and willing to learn about coco coir especially if
Plants grow at least 1/3 faster in that stuff compaired to soil or even most hydro setups.
I am going to look around the forum now to see what I can find on it.

Thank you, :cheesygrinsmiley:

Brother, that is one nice jungle. Would love to take a walk in that one and enjoy the view. I am learning that growing in a large container has it's pros and cons. So far I am having a lot of fun, like you seem to be, growing this way. I hear ya about old dogs learning new tricks.

hiya Baremeat,
I can't believe how thick and close the internodes are it is very impressive, yes I am finding out the pros and cons of growing in a large container as well, hey but that is what "cutting edge" techniques are all about, you take an idea and try it if it works great, if it needs improvement "you've learned something" refine it for a better experience next time.

Brother let me tell you I am having a blast :partyboy: I love learning new things and walking the edge of the razor blade to see if I can make it to the end one more time, I just always remember every grow (experience) can provide valuable insight. Remember the saying "experience is the best teacher!!??!"

Peace brother,
Old Skool

I like this picture I took yesterday :cheesygrinsmiley:

UNK_04_day_28.jpg

Back
Top Bottom