1st Grow in 30 yrs 12/12 HPS from Seed

Nice start. How many plants total popped out?

Racefan you asking me??

I planted 12 seeds in the 18 gallon container all 12 sprouted 100% germination. I also germinated 15 seeds in the paper towel method, 11 cracked their shells but only 7 grew they are in a separate container. Why did I germinate the seeds in the paper towel??? :hmmmm: I was concerned about how many were going to sprout out of the ground in the 18 gallon container.

So, a total of 19 seedlings are in the grow room right now I anticipate about a 30-50% female outcome so I should come out with 6-9 plants. :eyebrowsmile:

19 seedlings, that's cool. I plant my seeds right in the soil also. Of the last 30 I've planted, all have come up. I had one that didn't come up after a week, so I felt around in the dirt with my fingers and found it. It had a tail, was covered back up and broke thru the next day. Maybe you'll have one of those grows like Moose where he only had one male.

You may want to cut the bottom 4-5" off them to allow you to feed and water them without smashing the tops. This also encourages upgrowth and little side growth. Unless you want the side growth, but in that situation I would screen and train them.

Hiya Boss,

I am going to working on setting up a watering tube like this

IMG_00104.JPG

from atmosphere's grow but with a variation his ran straight down, I plan on having the tube stand up like his but putting an elbow on it and running more tubing down the length of the container under the soil with holes drilled into it so the water/food distributes more evenly.

Nope, no side growth! I am trying for maximum height growth, Atmosphere's grow got to be an average of 1 meter tall, (about 3 feet) I believe I can reach that goal :skeptical:

19 seedlings, that's cool. I plant my seeds right in the soil also. Of the last 30 I've planted, all have come up. I had one that didn't come up after a week, so I felt around in the dirt with my fingers and found it. It had a tail, was covered back up and broke thru the next day. Maybe you'll have one of those grows like Moose where he only had one male.

Hiya Herb Fellow,

Thats cool :smokin:I always had good success with soil germination, not always 100% but at least 95%.

One male :thedoubletake: that would be sweet :partyboy:

Time for a photo update:

All of the plants in the 18 gallon container

3-2-08_1.jpg

Random shots:

3-2-08_2.jpg

3-2-08_3.jpg

3-2-08_4.jpg

3-2-08_5.jpg

To compare:

2-26-08_1.jpg

3-2-08_6.jpg

More Random:

3-2-08_7.jpg

3-2-08_8.jpg

Cool, then make sure you do some pruning research and prune them at the right time and up high enough. You can easily keep the growth on the main bud.

Hi boss,
Thanks for the tip, I am wondering though, with Atmosphere's grow he didn't prune any of his plants, do you think I will with mine??

Make sure you have ample drainage in the bucket. I have used one, and had to double my drain holes to about 18.

Yes Sir Boss,
I have 8 drain holes approximately 1" square in the 18 gallon container at the bottom/sides it takes about a week for the soil to dry out to about 2-3 on the moister meter which is about 25% I water when the meter hits that mark. This is about right for that amount of medium I have in the container correct???

Hey Old_Skool, how's your grow going. Haven't heard from ya in a while. From the last pics you took they looked really good. Hope everything is going well. Hope to hear from ya soon. Baremeat:joint::joint::joint:

Hi ya Baremeat,
Sorry for the delay, I have a picture for update, manly my camera has been used for spotting males.
Here is the update since I last posted:

3/3/08 (day 11 on count)
They looked dry on the leaves so I waited till the light turned off and sprayed them down just enough to wet the leaves.

3/4/08 (day 12 on count)
Noticed on my thermometer that the temp somehow got to 95° F, don't know when but it was within 48 to 72 hours since I last reset the thermometer so it was within that time frame. All of the 2nd node leaves are showing heat stress, raised the light to 18" from 15" got the temp down to 77° F. Very slight nute burn on 1 or 2 of the plants from the feeding on the 27th (Seen with a magnifying glass) on the edge of some fan leaves on their 3rd node, they are currently working on their 4th top node.

3/5/08 (day 13 on count)
Temp 82° F this morning, opened the flaps to get fresh air in and brought temps down to 76° F, water level is still fine, they are getting wider they are on their 5th top node now with lots of little nodes from the other levels. Noticed that the water levels are still in 7 to 8 range (probably from me spaying on 3/3), also concerned about the bottom of the container retaining too much moisture so I poked a long thin rod through the 1" holes and loosened up all the soil in the bottom of the container. I also opened a window just a crack to see if that would help the air flow get fresher and cooler since the window is outside the grow area it would just be bringing in passive air.

3/6/08 (day 14 on count)
Temp 82° F this morning, opened the flaps to get fresh air in and brought temps down to 76° F, water level is still fine, they are getting wider they are on their 4th top node now with lots of little nodes from the other levels. Noticed that the water levels are still in 7 to 8 range, window still open a crack. Nodes growing bigger (have to mark the plants so when I take pictures I know which one it is).

3/7/08 (day 15 on count)
Looking for sex of the plants but they are still not there yet. Nodes growing bigger (have to mark the plants so when I take pictures I know which one it is).

3/8/08 (day 16 on count)
Looking for sex of the plants but they are still not there yet. Nodes growing bigger, checked water moister 6 to 8

3/9/08 (day 17 on count)
Added two feeding tubes so that the water flows under top of soil, Nodes growing bigger, fed/water them tonight also did a foliar spay of water on them and covered them with a plastic sheet to increase humidity overnight.

3/10/08 (day 18 on count)
Removed humidity blanket, they slept in 85° F and 99% humidity. 3 males showed today and 1 female, broke out the camera and magnifying glasses, checked resources and checked again with pictures, out with those pollen carrying ball slinging boys I say, chop them off at the knees!!!!! 9 plants are left in the18 gallon container 1 confirmed female hopefully tomorrow will bring more good news. Average height is 5 to 6".

Will post picture when approved.

lookin good old skool! now you got the males out of the way... ALL FEMS NOW! gl

Back
Top Bottom