1st time planting - Need help diagnosing problems!

lastbinius233

Hello, everyone!

I've recently started growing and I need some help with the problems I'm having, since I've done some things already and not much has changed. These plants are almost 2 months old. So, here we go:

SOIL GROWN (OUTSIDE)

Strain - unknown (got from a friend, not really a bought one)

# of Plants - 3

Grow Type - Soil

Grow Stage - Vegetative

Bucket Size - 3 Gallon each

Lights - none (SUN!)

Nutrients - A bunch of them mixed together accordingly (used and calculated % of nutrients for amount of earth) (I don't live in the US and the "usual" products that are sold there can't be found in my country). So I've bought local stuff from reputable sellers and they're mostly organic stuff (chicken bone, fish meal, etc. etc.) with some chemical fertilizers added as well.
Medium - ~Mostly~ organic soil

PH - haven't measured yet, but I only use filtered water...

RH - varies a lot, we're now in the summer here so it rains a lot every other day and then a lot of sun and heat during the day. As of this moment writing the post, Google tells me my city has 31% humidity, IDK if that helps...

Room Temperature: 68ºF (roughly 20ºC, at the coldest hours of nights) to 95ºF~98ºF (roughly 35ºC~38ºC during the hottest hours of the day, although those are more extreme temperatures with the average being closer to 86ºF~89ºF or 30ºC~32ºC).

Room Square Footage - it's big... kinda like a big big backyard. I'd say 15m or 50 feet wide and about 8m or 26 feet long.

Pests - None Known, although I do see "living things" there, they're mostly black and really really tiny. Not too many of them, tho'.

Problem: My leaves are kinda dying, specially older ones. I've posted pictures in my gallery (hopefully will link them here properly!).

IMG_20161230_143926013.jpg
IMG_20161230_143909665.jpg
IMG_20161230_143900890.jpg
IMG_20161230_143848825.jpg
IMG_20161230_143848260.jpg
IMG_20161230_143831847_HDR.jpg
IMG_20161230_143819974_HDR.jpg
IMG_20161230_143805129_HDR.jpg
IMG_20161230_143743975.jpg
IMG_20161230_143731686.jpg
IMG_20161230_143714278_BURST001.jpg
IMG_20161230_143656352.jpg

Hopefully this can help you guys to help me! Thanks a lot in advance!

Nitrogen def. Usually starts at the bottom and works its way up as the plant pulls from the older to supply the new growth.

Could be a lockout try flushing the medium of any nutes.

feeding the watering after that

And if possible try and measure your ph.

Could be the cause of all of this

what type of soil. you need to be careful that the soil did not come with nitrogen slow release and plus what you put in yourself. flush your lady with just ph ro water and wait two days or so before watering again and if you see her getting better then. also know that when you make nutrients for your soil you do not make it with the dirt gallons in mind you just make a 1 gallon or as much water needed to water and go based on the back of the label usually go quarter then half then full strength. if your soil does have slow release nutrients or food just water through the veg state and hopefully most of the nitrogen is flushed by the time of flowering. Also do not expect old leaves to get better just go based on your new growth.

That's weird, because I feel like I'm almost putting too much fertilizers... In the preparation of the soil, I've added "chicken manure" (thx, google translator...), earthworm humus and bone meal. Then I've also added a pinky dusty powder with many mineral ingredients (Cu, Zn, Mg, Mn, N, P, K, etc.) - obviously, to the right amount as specified in the labels... In any case, I do have a liquid foliar fertilizer which I'll mix in water later (after sundown) and apply both to the soil and foliage. It has a NPK ratio of 15-05-05, so if it's nitrogen deff, it'll help with that. I'll post results in a few days, I guess!

P.S.: After posted, I've read the other comment: So, my soil is sold in big large plastic bags and it's labeled as "vegetal soil", I guess, in a literal translation. Also, about the amounts of fertilizers I've added myself, don't worry, because I've read all the labels and did the math between them and, also, properly adjusted amounts to the amount of soil I have in each pot. The products I've purchased are mostly organic (except for the powder, which is mineral) and they all have very precise measurements indicated in each respective label, so I guess that's not really a factor. What can be true and I can't really confirm it is about the whole slow-release thing, but I don't think it's the case since I've seen what kind of soil you mean to sell before and what I'm using is not one of those.

About the hot soil: yes, I believe that's an issue around here, because in some afternoons the temps get quite high (as I posted originally: 95ºF~98ºF in the hottest days). So, what I do is try to put the plants in the morning sun and switch between days in the afternoon (meaning, some days it gets sun in morning+afternoon and other days just morning). Also, about thrips, any suggestions to what can be done about it? As you can see from the photos, the plants are still a little small for the pot, but that's because they were in a smaller one but already getting too big for that (so I was concerned with root bounding...). I'm aware of the watering complications that may bring, so I try to water them only once a day (usually at night, is that a problem?), but hopefully they'll grow more soon and the pot won't be as bigger as the plants themselves.

OH... :laugh: HAHAHA

Hot soil relates to pH then, maybe acidic or basic... Got it now! Haha, sorry 'bout that... :p
So, what should I do then? Because the old growth was once the new growth... Haha, and it looked perfect and dandy, but after a while it got like that and I'm afraid that'll happen to every new growth if something doesn't change. So, should I flush with water for a few days or pump the NPK fertilizer I mentioned (15-05-05)? (I say that because the other user said it could be Nitrogen deff). And about the thrips?

OH... :laugh: HAHAHA

Hot soil relates to pH then, maybe acidic or basic... Got it now! Haha, sorry 'bout that... :p
So, what should I do then? Because the old growth was once the new growth... Haha, and it looked perfect and dandy, but after a while it got like that and I'm afraid that'll happen to every new growth if something doesn't change. So, should I flush with water for a few days or pump the NPK fertilizer I mentioned (15-05-05)? (I say that because the other user said it could be Nitrogen deff). And about the thrips?

ONLY use water no need for nutrients you have too many in soil already

I'll take a swing too....and to me it looks like it could be this, that, or the other.

The 'this', would be too much nutes, but the tops don't look to have N abundance or tip burn from too much P or K, so even if this was the case, the soil might now be OK. The ratios of nutrients to each other may be having an agonistic effect, but if so, the plant should be past it, new growth looks good. Don't feed them anything extra though, until you know for sure they are hungry.

The 'that', would be that you are watering far too often, which starves the roots of oxygen, and leads to denitrification of the soil. This is for certain a contributing factor. Cannabis in soil, needs to work in a drench to dry cycle. That's so they can breathe, and get Oxygen into the roots.

The 'other' would be that inputs, soil and plant are all at a different pH, and need to be within range to work together. She looks more deficient to me than burnt, so I'm thinking it's more 'that' and the 'other', and just a little of 'this'.

Best course of action, no matter what the cause, is to let the plant dry out completely, till it feels like there is nothing in the pot. Then, flush it with 1-2 gal plain water (distilled if you can source) to which you've added a tiny amount acid, to achieve a value as close as possible to 6.5 Then, let it dry for an hour or two - before watering the plant with some distilled/RO water, adding 4ml/g of either GH or Botannicare CalMag, and buffer that to 6.5 if needed. Distilled water and 4ml/g should get you real close to 6.4 on the dot. I use tap the rest of the time, but when they are off, you can treat them to the best.

Thrips, are easy. Anything with Spinosad will knock them down and out for good. Spray all over twice, three days apart, and they will be gone. Cover those roots though, they will lay their eggs in there, and the larvae once hatched will consume the roots. They don't look advanced enough to be the problem, but it will or could contribute. Captain Jacks is easy and online cheap.
:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom