20w cfl help

smokey1507

Hello peeps, im currently doing a critical + auto and recently got a 20w CFL spiral and its hanging down from the middle of my closet and it seems to be getting hot around the plastic.. Am I freaking out that it will explode... Im currently waiting on a 125 w CFL to be delivers in the next week or so....I have a usb fan blowing near the plastic just in case it gets too hot..... I know obiously if U hang a bulb the heat will rise but would it get to the point where it explodes??? Im currently 4 weeks from seed so i have another 5 or 6 weeks left ( only shown first phistles 4 or 5 days ago.... Its always been under a different 20 w CFL since seed i know 1200 lumens is not quite esential to grow but i have been behind lol anyways should i be worried??? Oh the first CFL was hung horizontally but now its hung vertically... Any info ... Thanks guys :) peace out

Hi, Smokey.

If you meant to say, you have a 200 watt CFL, and it is hot, that would not be terribly surprising. But even so, it should NEVER give the impression it might burst into flames. You should be able to touch it. You should NOT be able to smell it. And so on.

If you really did mean to say you have a 20 watt bulb, 1200 lumens, and you think it might catch fire, well then, WOW.

Three likelihoods suggest themselves. 1/ Faulty CFL. 2/ Faulty socket. 3/ The CFL is not screwed in all the way and is arcing.

My serious advice. Make sure your setup is safe.

Thanks for the reply, erm its a 20w 100 w equivalent I mite be wrong about the lumens my apologies here is the link I only paid 5 euros for one https://www.greatbulbs.ie/component...ge/product/20W_Umbrella__sc_49d0c2c726b32.jpg, im no electrician but Im sure its safe... I think it might be because the warmth/heat is rising and the way i have it hanging down in my wardrobe it got me worried but i have been checking on it regulary and it looks ok... Would like to know the lumen output if somebody can work it out as i might need to get another one to see me till next week when my 125w arrives as the postal service in Ireland is crap lol

I found it in my local shop and its definitely a 2700k spectrum

Another question is there any way to upload a pic from mobiles as id love to share my setup and show ye my critical + auto

Lumens are the amount of light produced by a bulb. Find the number for lumen output on the light bulb's box.

Wattage is the amount of electricity needed to light the bulb. The higher the wattage is, the brighter the light will be. You can find the bulb's wattage written both on the box and on the bulb itself.

Divide the light bulb's lumen output by the number of watts the bulb needs. For example, a 100-watt light bulb usually has 1800 lumens, so the LPW is 18.

Back
Top Bottom