220 V Outlet issues

missywelden

okay so come to find out after purchasing hundreds of dollars in equipment that is going to be a pain in the ass to hook up a 220 outlet where we have our grow space.so the question I have is we have t5's and we have a thousand watt high pressure sodium bulb and with a dimmable ballast. We were told we can run the ballast off to 400 watts with a 110 plug outlet and not have a fire risk. Would it be better for us to run to HPS bulb at 400 watts or get bloom lights for the fluorescence and do it that way for flowerIng up til harvest

the wattage is irrelevant youre thousand watt should run off 220 or 110 keep the t5s for veg if they are big enough.if you didnt get the 110 plug with your ballast order one prob solved.the ballast you have may turn the intensity of the light down,but you still must use the 1k bulb.

but you can run half the amperage with 220 so you actually use less power using more power lol!!in reality most people have 20 amp 110 circuits.if you are pulling more then 20 amps use a short heavy duty extension cord from another outlet on a different breaker.

All I have to say now is if you don't know what you are doing with electricity (I don't mean making connections) then you are taking not only your own life but your families life in your hands. Wanna play god?

Hey bigjack idk what your set up but I've put in some weird things for people. Outlets and lighting in crazy places and I always wonder huh I wonder what the heck that's gonna be for lol but the customer is always right. Maybe you have a big sowing machine, or maybe a tanning bed and you want the outlet in there or a portable ac unit if your in an area that's believable.
Yes with 220 you have half the amps but 1000 watts will spin the meter the same no matter the voltage unfortunately:(

Power companies charge by the kwh we all know. 1000 watts is still a 1000watts spinning the meter the same speed at 8 amps as it would at 4 amps if my math is right . I could be all wet too though lol

im surprised by that heady, not doubting your bill

but amps=spike or surge on your system,-leaving the lights in your car so to speak
your still pulling1200 watts

i'll double check with the neighbor,he is a master electrician

Ya, I'm no electrician and I don't stay in holiday Inns......

Maybe what I was reading is it just draws less amps leaving more for other circuits.

There was a reason I went with 220 but not sure if it was for $$$ and usage?

okay so come to find out after purchasing hundreds of dollars in equipment that is going to be a pain in the ass to hook up a 220 outlet where we have our grow space.so the question I have is we have t5's and we have a thousand watt high pressure sodium bulb and with a dimmable ballast. We were told we can run the ballast off to 400 watts with a 110 plug outlet and not have a fire risk. Would it be better for us to run to HPS bulb at 400 watts or get bloom lights for the fluorescence and do it that way for flowerIng up til harvest
If you have a20amp 110 volt circuit in your room already it can be easily changed to a 20 amp 220volt circuit by changing the breaker (to a 2pole 20 amp breaker)and removing the neutral of the netrual bar and landing it on the 2 pole breaker but you need to change the rec to a 220 volt or you will be able to plug 110 volt device into it and that will burn up 110 volt equip

If you have a20amp 110 volt circuit in your room already it can be easily changed to a 20 amp 220volt circuit by changing the breaker (to a 2pole 20 amp breaker)and removing the neutral of the netrual bar and landing it on the 2 pole breaker but you need to change the rec to a 220 volt or you will be able to plug 110 volt device into it and that will burn up 110 volt equip

Not many homes have 1 wall socket dedicated to 1 individual breaker unless it's a microwave circuit or similar GFI.

So changing the breaker and moving the neutral would make EVERY outlet in that run a 220 which could end up in more than one room and a potential fire safety hazard for anything plugged into it requiring 110.

There are dozens of Youtube vids on how to add a breaker and put in your own 220 outlet or subpanel.

Also AEP meters spin by current which is amps,yes you get charged in kW but amps makes your meter spin

Also the amps is determined by the ballast they raise the voltage and decrease amps if you was running 1000 watt light on 110 volts you would pull right at 9.1 amps and 4.5 at 220 volt your ballast should be marked as to what amp draw is at both voltages so you deff will use less power on 220volt hook up
Hid ballast don't increase the volts as much a floursents (some floro's output 10,000 plus volts at the pin sockets this is why you only draw .50 amps or less on 4 32 watt lamps on 110volts depending on type of ballast)

Hope this helps I have a hard time explaining things in print somtimes

Not many homes have 1 wall socket dedicated to 1 individual breaker unless it's a microwave circuit or similar GFI.

So changing the breaker and moving the neutral would make EVERY outlet in that run a 220 which could end up in more than one room and a potential fire safety hazard for anything plugged into it requiring 110.

There are dozens of Youtube vids on how to add a breaker and put in your own 220 outlet or subpanel.

Which is true but if he is worried about loading it up with grow equipment then he won't be using that circuit for anything else so pull those devices and make joints and put a blank plate on those

Just trying to spitball ideas for the guy
And there is. You tube video for everything at this point but he obviously hadn't found his answer on you tube so he ask here

I just want 220 so I don't trip the circuit breaker in this 1970s home. Especially since it will be in a bedroom closet.

It doesn't matter what the voltage is if you draw above the rated amps of the breaker it will trip but as I said earlier double the voltage half the amperage so as voltage increases amperage decreases

Back
Top Bottom