27"x27"x64" LED Lights?

Newtons

420 Member
Anyone have any advice on what wattage I should stay around? The grow tent is on its way and I'm deciding on a light to use. I really only plan to have 2-3 plants. Right now I'm looking at one 600w LED Fixture, would that be enough or daisy chain two 600w. Thanks!

Around 125-150$

Ok then you're only able to get a cheap chinese build light like vipar, mars etc, however I would strongly recommend getting a 400w HID you get more light and good coverage.

A 400w kit with bulb, ballast and reflector is in your budget range and sufficient light, the other options are going to be a bit on the low side of how much light you need and the coverage will be off as well.

For your price range definitely go with the 400w hid. Make sure to properly ventilate it. You can build up heat quick in a small tent like that

thats the thing. a 400w HID is cool because of the price, but the heat,.. Your looking at another $125 or so for proper ventilation. Shit adds up fast.

Honestly, If you need super cheap, but yet get decent growth, Get a Mars300, and put lenses on it. Hang it at 36in above plant. 1400 PAR at 18inches.

Because you need to hang it high, the footprint spreads out pretty well.

$75 for Light,
$9 for 60pc lens ( china )

thats the thing. a 400w HID is cool because of the price, but the heat,.. Your looking at another $125 or so for proper ventilation. Shit adds up fast.

You need extraction no matter what, and a 400w cool tube kit is les than $125, just a little ducting hooked up to the extraction and you're good to go ;)

Honestly, If you need super cheap, but yet get decent growth, Get a Mars300, and put lenses on it. Hang it at 36in above plant. 1400 PAR

I guess you mean PPFD, but the Mars300 is 445 in the center at 18'' and quickly falling when moving away from the center of the footprint, so I don't know where you get 1400 from?

I've used the 300 and it's not bad, but weak penetration, small coverage, and very very loud fans meant it didn't take long for it to become just another a back-up lamp ;)

no, im talking 1400+ actually. And not throwing stones, but the Mars300 is 315 PAR at 18inches. With lenses, its more then 1400, Might even been 1500 PAR, measured with a hydrofarm PAR meter. The spectrum isnt that great, because of all the dang blues, which stops the stretch, is why Mars300 grow smallish plants. I eventually replaced 40 of the diodes with 4000Ks. Light was awesome to be honest. Should of did that again instead of buying this PerfectSun mini. Ill look for that PAR with lenses and update this. But like I said, the footprint, at 18inches with the lenses was shit. Raising it up helped tremendously. I had 2 of them, Got to dam hot.
dwcjune4-5.png

I think your measuring the wrong unit or there's something wrong with your meter, I have a very hard time believing you can get 4-5 times as many photons by replacing diodes and adding lenses.
PAR is not a unit for measuring, it just means the lightwaves between 400nm and 700nm, what you want to measure is PPFD (Photosynthetic Photon Flux Density) measured in μmol/s (micromoles per second) ;)

Man, Its the same meter everyone in the LED community uses to measure PAR, I dont know what else to say.

Lets take Perfect Sun LED for instance. Same diodes, just lenses and different Spectrum basically, and this mini gets 1100 PAR @18, so really the modded mars300 is higher, but like I said, the spectrum is whacked. and that 1500PAR reading was off factory spectrum, not modded. AND they were 5watt diodes, not 3watt like in the mini, so that explains the lack to comparison.

I have half my Mars300 running right now, and I get 650 PAR at 18inches, with 32 diodes out ( bad zener )lol..

Im using it for my 4 small plants, that isnt getting light from the Mini footprint.

but dont get me wrong PGR, I do understand what your saying about PPFD, Im just going by what the everyday LED light users are using to measure. Ive used the Mars300 not modded, and then modded, night and day difference. drawback was not having a dimming option for the modded mars300.

just poppn in,

man, the modded Mars300 is kickin butt, even just half, it seems to be the ultimate veg spectrum i made with it. I might even buy another Mars300 and do it again. just for a veg light. Would rock some lettuce i bet, leafy veggies.

just poppn in,

man, the modded Mars300 is kickin butt, even just half, it seems to be the ultimate veg spectrum i made with it. I might even buy another Mars300 and do it again. just for a veg light. Would rock some lettuce i bet, leafy veggies.

So a 300W with a lense would work well? It really gets that much PAR?

You should definitely check out Migro it's the next gen lights
Migro 100

So a 300W with a lense would work well? It really gets that much PAR?

1510 in center to be exact, at 18inches, but footprint is like literally 6inches round. When you raise it, the footprint gets better. If your able to move the light around during the light cycle, its a great light considering.

I think this is the best bang for your buck. You would have to mod the lenses. Each needs a hole burnt into the back to fit the zenner resistor. there is a video on the tube that explains it better. look up modded mars300, he explains it. and also shows the par on video.

Burning the holes is a pain in the butt till you get the hang of it, you need to do 60 of them, Trick is a small flat head screw driver, heated with a flame, like your burner on gas oven works great. Once you get the hang of it, takes around 5 seconds each. definitely a pain in the butt tho.

Back
Top Bottom