2x 125w CFL Electricity (first time grow)

SoCal420

First time indoor grower looking for some advice.

im current using 2 40w T5 grow lights in my closet, i know i dont get the proper light with this and it seems to be killing my electricity bill... it jumped $80 in 1 month. was thinking of switching over to 125W CFL, using 6400k for veg and 2600k for flowering. anyone have any comments? will this lower my electricity bill? i dont want to run the HPS due to heat and electricity. any advice is welcomed! thank you!

i have no experience with the t5 but i always thought it was easy on the electricity
that being said if it draws 2 x 40 =80 watts then i think it is safe to say that the 125 watt cfl will be even more
80 dollars seems like an awful lot. i run cfl and it is pretty easy on the electricity, i mean i am running way over 125 watts too
i haven't added them up in a while but it's around the 300 watt mark, actual wattage
in the end i say you should do well with cfl but i wonder if the t5 unit is not working properly
maybe a veteran will chime in for us
take care and good luck

I'm running over 500 watts in lights alone, not including fans and humidifier and at $0.07/kWatt that amounts to less than $15/month in electricity costs. Either your lights are severely malfunctioning or something else is cause that kiind of increase in your energy bill.

T5 bulbs are 28 or 54 watts per bulb if four foot long. If you are running high output T5's they are 54. So a single 2 bulb fixture (which most are) would be 108 watts plus the driver inefficiency. So roughly 120 watts. Depending on what tier you are in you could pay as much as $.37 per Kw/h. If this is the case, it will cost ~$32 a month. This is per 2 bulb fixture alone. If you have any pumps fans heating or cooling in your grow area tack that on top.

As for the question, changing to 2 125 CFL bulbs will cost you double your current amount.

I am running 12 100w equiv cfls in my flower. 10 are 2700k @ 1750 lumens and 2 are 6500k @ 1600 lumens, which equal 1200w. My veg is 4 100w 6500K. My bill is only $100 more and that's not including my fans and other stuff.

First time indoor grower looking for some advice.

im current using 2 40w T5 grow lights in my closet, i know i dont get the proper light with this and it seems to be killing my electricity bill... it jumped $80 in 1 month. was thinking of switching over to 125W CFL, using 6400k for veg and 2600k for flowering. anyone have any comments? will this lower my electricity bill? i dont want to run the HPS due to heat and electricity. any advice is welcomed! thank you!

its most likely a tier increase like hosebomber said read the bill do you also use electric for heat.

Back
Top Bottom