8 Step Chews: Chewy Candy/Starburst

Lancashire farmer

Personal favourate of mine. These keep well and taste great.
30g gelatin
250ml~ water
3.5g Arabic gum
50ml flavourings (orange/lemon extract etc)
15ml Citric acid
600ml corn syrup/glucose syrup
600g sugar
150g shortning (trex or Flora white in the uk)
50g icing sugar (powdered or confectioners)

1ml syringe distilate. This is mixed with 1ml of mct oil and 1ml of sunflower lechin prior to use.

(makes 100 ~10mg chews, adjust quantities accordingly).

Step 1

Bloom your gelatin
Place the gelatin in a sealable bag with the 30ml of water. Place this into a water bath at 60-65°c for 25 minutes or until a thick streak free paste is formed.

Step 2
Activate/hydrate the gum
Mix a teaspoon of water with 3.5g of Arabic gum in a small bowl. This needs to be whisked heavily for a few minutes. Cover the bowl and leave for half hour.

Step 3
In a small bowl mix 15ml of citric acid, 15ml of water and flavouring of choice together.

Step 4
In a small bowl mix shortening with icing sugar. Then mix this with the gum and flavourings from step 2 and 3.

Step 5
To a pan add 600g of sugar, 600ml of corn syrup/glucose syrup with 200ml of water. Heat to 128°c/ 162°f.
Try your best to remove from heat immediately. 130°c+ will produce a chew that cracks when bitten.
Wait 2 minutes and add the pre prepared "distilate extract" (any extract works here, just make sure its active thc/been decarbed).

Step 6
Now comes the fun bit :ganjamon::laugh:.
Add all the ingredients together and mix well, start slowly and work it up until everything is mixed well. A high quality paddle mixer works well here but don't try and use a budget mixer, it will break.
Pour into stainless pans/silicone moulds/baking trays covered in greaseproof paper to set.
Once the candy has a "skin" (your able to poke it without making a hole) it's time to start pulling.

Step 7
Pulling
Basically you want to stretch out the candy and then fold it back on itself. You need to do this untill you physically can't stretch it anymore without it snapping. (YouTube some videos on this if you are unsure on candy pulling)
This will take roughly 45 minutes to complete and you know its ready when you can't pull anymore.
If you want to colour or "two tone" your candy now is the time to add this". Chop your sweets to the desired shape but aim to get 100 bite sized pieces out of your mix.
Your candy will now look ready to eat. It is not.

Step 8
Allow the candy to rest.
This is the most important step, I've found the sweets to go gooey and sticky within a day and not kept well at all when this step is missed.

Place back in the trays and cover with grease proof paper. Allow to sit at 15-20°c for 48 hrs.

There ready to eat, make sure you keep them stored in airtight containers and they will keep well.

Seriously!!!!!

Ummmmmmm

Yummy

Any pics of finished product
Sorry for late update, just finished this batch, took a couple of pics to show my method of cutting. I roll snakes then chop with a strong pair of scissors.

This last pic shows me reheating the product as it cooled a bit much and became a pain to cut. (oven is on lowest setting and product only needs a minute in there to bring temp back up a bit)

Thanks,
:passitleft:
Lf

Back
Top Bottom