A little confused - need some answers to get started

bigslick90404

Whats up everyone,

Ive been reading and researching endless amounts of info on setting up a home garden and I have finally decided to get my feet wet. With that I have ordered some equipment and would love to get some feedback from the forum's experienced voices on my ideas and some opinions from the veterans on how they would proceed if presented with what I have to start.

Most of my planning ideas have come from the youtube video where the dude in blue coveralls and green skin does a 10 part tutorial on how to grow hydro. That was kind of my starting point and then I found some awesome grow journals here on 420, namely the outstandingly impressive grow journals of McBudz. I have a snowball of ideas, I'm sure you all know how it goes....but now I have all this shit at my feet and I need a course corrected before I start!

So I have two spaces. One is a long closet. 7'6" wide, 2'3" deep and 8' in height — almost 17 sq ft of floor space with an 8 ft ceiling.

The second is a 5' x 5' x 78" Mylar hydro grow tent. This is 25' of floor space with 7'6" ceiling.

It was my original intention to use the closet as a flowering room and a smaller 2' x 3' closet as the germination/clones/veg and mother space. I had to go off this plan for reasons that would be just as boring for you to read as it would me to type so now im left to decide what to do with what space. This is the first piece of advice I need.

Perhaps explaining what hardware I have will help decide or dictate what space should be utilized for what purpose. I guess its possible that either space could be used for either purpose and if that is so, then fine, but then which one will be most suited for creating higher yields, be easier to work with etc......I guess would be my next questions. I'm getting ahead of myself and digress.

So here is what I have so far:

For the germination/clones/veg and mother room (whether that proves to be the closet or the tent):

1 x GrowBright 4 Foot 4 Lamp High Output T5 fitted with 4 Grow Spectrum Bulbs (6400K)

2 x GrowBright 4 Foot 2 Lamp High Output T5 fitted with 2 Grow Spectrum Bulbs (6400K)

2 x 12" oscillating fans

A top feeding drip system for starter plants/clones and mothers — all contained in a 2' x 4' x 8" flood table to start with. All seeds (and later clones) will be bedded first into 1" rockwool cubes then into 4" cubes.

For the Flowering room — when the time comes (again, undesignated between the closet and tent)

A 400W Galaxy Electronic ballast fitted with a 400W Eye Hortilux HPS full spectrum bulb

Sunsystem Yield Master II reflector with 6" inline cooling and glass installed

Active Air 6" — 400CFM in-line fan - dedicated to cooling the reflector only

1 x 6" x 16" Phresh Carbon filter to clean the flowering room. I have not yet purchased the fan (recommendations welcome).

2 x 12" oscillating fans — variable speed switches coming shortly

The only other consideration I have to make is that it would be sooo much easier to lock the smelly flouring room into the closet as opposed to the tent. For logistical reasons it would be far simpler for me to tap and route filtered and air conditioned supply air to the closet as opposed to the tent. It can be done either way for sure, but one is so much easier and more discreet than the other.

So that's a longwinded account of where I am currently, equipment wise. If anyone can advise the following that would be great:

Veg room/flowering room: closet or tent and why (this would just help my general understanding)

Lastly, I have the following seed. All are feminized. I was thinking about 3 strains to start with. Since its my first venture I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket. I figured I can just take clones of each of the 3 that I start (if they make it that far!) and keep practicing with those before committing to using the last 3. Could anyone recommend which of the following strains would be their recommendation for a newbie grower to attempt. Something forgiving possibly?

Sensi Seeds - Big Bud
Nirvana Seeds - Super Skunk
Nirvana Seeds - Master Kush
Barneys Farm -Vanilla Kush
Kannabia Seeds - La Blanca
Kannabia Seeds - Afrodite

Thank you so much in advance for any advice/guidance you may all have to offer. Feel free to tear up my plans as you see fit, I welcome constructive criticism. I would love to get this thing off the ground and grow some happy, healthy plants and perhaps contribute a worthy grow journal into the archives.

Best

BS90404

Re: A little confused - need some answers to get started....

Hey there bigslick - Sounds like you're off to a great start and have already been doing a nice job of educating yourself. :goodjob:

It sounds to me like you kinda answered your first question yourself - I would probably flower in the closet where you have the best ventilation, etc. Depending on how much you are trying to grow at one time, there seems to be adequate space there (depending on access, not sure what door is like) - though you'll lose some height due to lighting/venting. Are you doing hydro for both veg/flower - will your hydro table/gear fit in the closet space?

On the other hand: The extra elbow room in the tent seems like it would be nice for flowering - **but here's where you'll just have to make the call, better and easier venting - or more elbow room**.

Second question - I haven't studied up on or grown most of the strains you have listed, but as meticulous as you appear to be in preparing, you'll probably be fine with any of the strains. Often the seed sites online will have info in the descriptions for each strain as to how easy/hard they are for beginners. (I know Nirvana used to - not sure if they still do). But I'd say, grow what 'ya want. Best piece of advice I can give here is not to do too many strains the first time - maybe even limit it to two strains that have similar grow characteristics (check seed sites again). Too many strains can cause headaches sometimes with managing different needs and varying finish times, etc.

Good luck and nice start -

Thanks xlr8, I appreciate your speedy response and advice.

I will err on your side of caution and attempt two strains to begin with. I will do some thorough research and try and find common growth characteristic/needs for two varieties. It was a concern of mine that I may have to feed two different nute mixes to two different strains (not something im really wanting to do - id much rather feed them all the same cocktail from the same reservoir). Hopefully this will be a mute point if I can find similar strain requirement amongst the seeds I have.

Are you doing hydro for both veg/flower - will your hydro table/gear fit in the closet space?

I am planning to do hydro for both veg and flower. I was planning on transferring the vegged plants, at the appropriate time, still contained within their 4" rockwool cubes into a flood and drain table filled with hydroton, or other similar medium.

As for space, I was planning on using a 2' x 4' flood table in the flowering closet to begin with. The space is large enough to accommodate a 2' x 4' plus a 2' x 3', side by side. Not sure where ill reach my limits in terms of the number of plants I can flower in this arrangement but thats a problem for down the road, hopefully, once I have spawned some clones off of the initial vegged beans. I have yet to do any serious research on optimal flowering numbers and configurations for a given size. I understand that there are many factors which influence this calculation such as pot size, plant shape, plant height etc.... Its a little overwhelming to think that far ahead with so many things needing immediate attention. But I certainly agree that the 5' x 5' space seems louring from a ease of use perspective.

Trial and error with minimal terror. I hope.

Thanks again. Please feel free to contribute any ideas or nuggets of knowledge as you see fit, all input is welcomed.

Regards
BS90404

As long as you are growing even reasonably similar plants/strains started at the same time, you should be able to share a reservoir and use same nute strength, etc. Sounds like you'll have a great set-up.

As far as utilizing your space and grow sites: Sometimes less is more. I have a real confined space I grow in, but I can choose to have 3 plants crowding and fighting for the space/light - or 1-2 plants that fill out the space because they have the room to do so. I find that I can use half of my available grow sites or less and be most successful, but that's with my set-up. Hope that makes sense -

Back
Top Bottom