Adding sugar to the water?

hossua34

I remembered how someone told me to do this as a little kid when I grew pumpkins, and it got me thinking-

Is it worth it to add a small amount of sugar to the jug before watering your plants? After all, plants produce their own sugar from the sun and the soil, so it seems like this might help accelerate the growth process.

You would be inviting mold and bacteria to the root system. The plant can only absorb so much sugars cause its natural funtion to create its own sugars. So when the sugar starts to break down and decay bam sick plant.
Just too risky for me, mold is hard to get rid of.

yeah and it would draw alot more bugs to your plant.

hossua34,

you wouldn't wanna use regular sugar, if you did do it. Sucanat ( dark raw sugar 3$/lb) or Botanicare's Sweet are too products suggested in this month's HT. Apparently, adding either or certain raw forms of sugar can help increase yield, though not as dramatically as its other perk...the sweetness can be tasted in the smoke.

I have heard of growers mixing things like molasses into their feeding water. They say it made the buds about 20% bigger but no flavor was added. I don't think I would bother with this though. Seems to easy to overdo it and kill the plant. Besides, there are many fertilizers out there specifically geared towards super charging flowering plants, why not use one of those instead?

WesCyber said:
I use Sweet from Botanicare....Damn good shit.

-wes

Now, when you say good, is there a noticeable difference and what is it? Have you compared it to a plant that you didn't use it on? I've been thinking about purchasing it, but I don't see a reason in buying more additives if I can't notice the difference. Thanks!:smokin:

iadburner said:
Now, when you say good, is there a noticeable difference and what is it? Have you compared it to a plant that you didn't use it on? I've been thinking about purchasing it, but I don't see a reason in buying more additives if I can't notice the difference. Thanks!:smokin:
THIS IS THE CO. I GOT MY AEROJET AEROPONICS SYSTEMS FROM... AND ONE OF THEM WAS MISSING A PART...
SO I CALLED BOTANICARE AND THEY SENT ME THE PART.. PLUS FOR THE TRUBLE THEY SENT ME A FREE GALLON OF SWEET TO TRY..
SO I AM USEING IT IN ONE OF THE RESERVOIRS DURING THE FLOWERING STAGE (IT'S NOT FOR VEGING)

THEY ARE ON THE 5TH WEEK OF BUDING AND SO FAR THE 24 PLANTS IN THE AEROJET USEING THE SWEET...
THE BUDS LOOK BIGER AND LOOKS LIKE THER ARE MORE BUDS..
THIS I KNOW... BUT I HAVE NOT HARVESTED YET SO DO NOT KNOW ABOUT THE TASTE... OR IF THE BUDS ARE HEAVER....BUT SO FAR THEY DO LOOK LIKE THEY HAVE MORE... AND BIGER BUDS...

IT SAYS IT HELPS THE PLANT GO FROM HIGH NITROGEN IN THE VEG STAGE TO THE ALMOST NO NITROGEN IN THE BUDING STAGE..

LET YA ALL KNOW SOON.......

PLUS YA JUST GOT TA TRUST THE GUY FROM Humboldt County..........

If its made for gardening I would try it on a plant, if it comes out of a sugar packet I will put it in my coffee and then check on how sweet my coffee tastes. I am a firm believer in using proper nutes.

I'm with Urdedpal.

Table sugar is about the easiest sugar molecule to turn into glucose, pure simple sugar that most organisms can use for fuel. Therein lies the problem, MOST organisms can easily use it for fuel. You are basically putting out a banquet for the neighborhood and screaming "come and get it". That's just way risky.

And if you ever do soil-less medium, don't EVER do this.. :) Hell, you could grow something that would make YOU sick with that....

The "sugar in water" trick is good for one thing only, and only for a few days. Freshly cut plants that are expected to die after being cut, but need to be kept "alive" for a period of time. (i.e. flowers and xmas trees). And be careful here too, because if you dont' change it every 3 days or so, it will make your whole house smell like ass. I'm not lying! :)

Seems like All you guys are right, though, because you WOULDNT use table sugar. So supposedly the darker, raw sugars are more appropriate, acting as carb boosters for the plant, and are made specifically for that.

I'll be adding this or sucanat to my next go round

Back
Top Bottom