Ahh Im at home! Hi Everyone!

so potty

Been looking at this site for the past week or so and finally got off my lazy stoner ass and joined. . . . wooh hoo!
Absolute novice grower looking to set up shop soon and although this site is great & EVERYTHING you need to know, my problem is just that.. . I'm finding it a bit of a minefield!
I'm looking to get a 1m sq grow tent but can't settle on what lighting to get, well the right equipment/and where in general. I'm thinking cool air metal halide is the way to go, money isn't really an issue I just wanna grow some quality bud so I can tell my man that he can stick his 2.2g up his ring!
I smoke about an oz a fortnight so u can imagine the cash I'm spending!
Any help/tips would be great, or just simply say Hi

Nice one guys. . . .phew . . . now time to skin up!

L x

you may find this very helpful..How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know

as far as you lighting..Metal Halide is the best for veg. hands down. You will need to cool it so you will need a fan,ducting and you may as well get a can filter to complete.
I use a 1000hps myself in a 4x4 tent. If you have the bucks then get the right ballast and 2 lamps to switch off
have you decided on soil or hydro?

Ok a fortnight = 14 days

I had to search fortnight. I love learning new stuff!
Glad you are here friend.
:welcome: to 420

Have you look into LED Lighting?
Hydro Grow LED
Growl LED Inc Energy Efficient LED Grow Lights : Home
haightsolidstate.com - This website is for sale! - haightsolidstate Resources and Information.
Very little heat to bother with, See some in action here,
Haight Solid State vs. H.G.LED

Continue to search the Grow Journals going on now for much more information that will be very helpful.
Locate a grow space that is the same size as your and study.
Journals in Progress - 420 Magazine
so potty and 420 will work together to help produce a great grow.
See around in the forums.
Any more questions please ask. :roorrip: :peace:
:popcorn:

Ok a fortnight = 14 days

I had to search fortnight. I love learning new stuff!
Glad you are here friend.
:welcome: to 420

Have you look into LED Lighting?
Hydro Grow LED
Growl LED Inc Energy Efficient LED Grow Lights : Home
Haight Solid State
Very little heat to bother with, See some in action here,
Haight Solid State vs. H.G.LED

Continue to search the Grow Journals going on now for much more information that will be very helpful.
Locate a grow space that is the same size as your and study.
Journals in Progress - 420 Magazine
so potty and 420 will work together to help produce a great grow.
See around in the forums.
Any more questions please ask. :roorrip: :peace:
:popcorn:

Are LED's better then?

Yh PIT VIPER i'd get an extracter fan and ducting, not sure about can filter tho, do i need one? im not worried about the smells. For a 1mx1mx2m tent what knida wattage should i go for. . . .cheers hunz x

Just offering other choices. For the money stick with your MH, but PitViper Mentioned MH best for vegging, Then go with HPS for flowering for great results. :peace:

You can get a light that is "switchable" and allows you to run MH for veg and then flip a switch and run HPS for flower. A 400 watt would cover your space nicely. Don't know enough about LED to comment. On the carbon filter, if you're sure the smell will be no problem an/or you can vent to the attic or into a chimney then you won't need it but keep it safe and undetectable if you can.

You can get a light that is "switchable" and allows you to run MH for veg and then flip a switch and run HPS for flower. A 400 watt would cover your space nicely. Don't know enough about LED to comment. On the carbon filter, if you're sure the smell will be no problem an/or you can vent to the attic or into a chimney then you won't need it but keep it safe and undetectable if you can.

Thanks once I got all the stuff I need I'll put some pics on to see what pol think. Do you know where would be the cheapest site on the Internet for equiptment? I'm in uk x

Yh PIT VIPER i'd get an extracter fan and ducting, not sure about can filter tho, do i need one? im not worried about the smells. For a 1mx1mx2m tent what knida wattage should i go for. . . .cheers hunz x

if you dont have to worry about the smell then dont bother with a filter.
I ve got a 1000w in the same dimension tent. But...I got it for free. I would recomend a 600w. has 80% of the lumens and less heat. Its a great size lamp.
get a good switchable balast and a good conversion bulb. use MH for veg and change to HPS for bloom.

:yummy:

if you dont have to worry about the smell then dont bother with a filter.
I ve got a 1000w in the same dimension tent. But...I got it for free. I would recomend a 600w. has 80% of the lumens and less heat. Its a great size lamp.
get a good switchable balast and a good conversion bulb. use MH for veg and change to HPS for bloom.

:yummy:

So you recommend getting a 600w rather than a 400w? I'm a bit concerned about electric output as I don't want to blow myself up or the big bills! But if you think it would b better, please explain.
I've been looking at the digital ballasts, would that do it?

To figure you electrical cost, grab a bill and see what your rate per kiliwatt (kw) is. Most grows will use less than 1kw per hour so that mean take your per kw hour cost and multiply x 24 for veg and 12 for flower per day to get your daily cost. For instance, my rate is 6 cents per hour (cheap from what I've heard) so it cost me about $1.50 a day during veg and half that during flower.

Digital ballast are very good.

So you recommend getting a 600w rather than a 400w? I'm a bit concerned about electric output as I don't want to blow myself up or the big bills! But if you think it would b better, please explain.
I've been looking at the digital ballasts, would that do it?

the 600 is more cost effective than the 400 and 1000....lumens per watt and cost. digital balasts are good....get a name brand like Lumatek or similar.just get a good one.

I've been measuring up for the tent, I'm now thinking 70x70x200 cm would fit nice. Do you think a 600 w would still be ok for this size space? I reckon I can get 4-6 plants in maybe? I got the cash but don't know if I should go for the 100 for that many plants.

Sizes of grow lights
MH and HPS grow lights come in the following Watt sizes; 50W, 100W, 150W, 175W, 250W, 400W, 600W,1000W and 1500W.A general rule of thumb for selecting the correct wattage grow light is to determine the size and shape of your garden area. Since grow lights emit a relatively square pattern of light, it is best to consider each light as covering a square of garden. Here is a list of the coverage each size grow light will provide.

50W = 1.5' x 1.5'
100W = 2' x 2'
250W = 3' x 3'
400W = 4' x 4'
600W = 5' x 5'
1000W = 6' x 6'
1500W = 8' x 8'
Another great advantage of indoor horticultural lighting is your ability to control the length of daylight thus empowering you with the ability to force flower your favorite strain even when completely out of season. Remember, to grow perfect plants, the secret to the right light is Color, Intensity and Duration!

Here are the avg dimensions covered by the various watt lights.

Potty, I'd stick with a 400 its cooler and with summer comming you don't want heat issues! Hps will go from start to finish. If you want to save a bit on electric bills go cfls they stay cool and are much lower to run. Check out a few of Rosemans tutorials or check out BAS's sig links. welcome and stay high or good bye. :peace:

Back
Top Bottom