AK: Pot Retailers In Fairbanks Are Out Of Product Until New Harvests Next Month

Katelyn Baker

Fairbanks – Fairbanks' three marijuana stores are sold out and closed until they get more supply as the cannabis industry continues to evolve.

"The cultivators are working as fast as they can," said Cary Carrigan, executive director of the Alaska Marijuana Industry Association.

"It's a little hiccup in my opinion ... Eventually, there will be enough product."

Pakalolo Supply Co. sold out on New Year's Eve.

"I think a lot of people lit more than just fireworks," said Keenan Hollister, one of the owners of the family business.

The company has a new harvest currently drying and samples will be sent out for testing as soon as next week, Hollister said.

The business is hoping to offer pot for sale on a limited basis on the weekends by mid-January.

Hollister said Pakalolo is planning to expand its cultivation operation.

"We have still yet to see the peak of the demand," he said.

GoodSinse, the newest of the three stores, also sold out of marijuana in late December, owner Daniel Peters said.

Peters, who is also a grower, expects to replenish his supply in early February after he harvests his marijuana crop – sooner if he manages to buy product from another grower.

GoodSinse sold more than 6 pounds of marijuana in the 2½ weeks that the store was open, he said. GoodSinse opened Dec. 11.

"I wish I could have helped more people," Peters said. "There was a lot of people who needed it medically."

Peters said he would have purchased five times more marijuana than he was able to get for his initial opening.

"I was limited on every purchase, pretty much," he said.

Peters was prepared for the cannabis supply to be unstable as the industry gets its bearings, he said.

Carrigan said he thinks supply and demand will stabilize later this year.

Transportation challenges, especially to and from rural Alaska, still were being sorted out last week, Carrigan said.

Systems that need to be in place for the industry to thrive still are being fine-tuned, he said.

"It is going to smooth out," Carrigan said.

Many growers started out small and will expand with their subsequent crops, Carrigan said. Other growers still are working on their first crops.

"You've got to make sure your processes are in place and your product is what you want it to be," Carrigan said. "We'll get to the point where the product is there."

Carrigan, whose office is in Anchorage, said the supply in Anchorage is low.

Frozen Budz, the first marijuana store to open in Fairbanks, announced Dec. 28 on its Facebook page that the retailer is waiting for more product.

"Based on supply, it looks like we will reopen toward the end of January," the post on social media said. "As soon as we have a confirmed date, we will update everyone."

Supply has also been a problem at the only weed store in Juneau, Rainforest Farms, according to Alaska Dispatch News.

LauraMorton.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Pot Retailers In Fairbanks Are Out Of Product Until New Harvests Next Month
Author: Amanda Bohman
Photo Credit: Laura Morton

Back
Top Bottom