Arcata Woman Sues City, Police Over Potless Pot Search

420 Warrior

Suit Alleges Unlawful Search, Rough Treatment Hastened Husband's Death

A 64-year-old Arcata woman filed a lawsuit Wednesday alleging that the city and its police officers violated the rights of her and her late husband when they searched their home last year looking for marijuana.

The lawsuit -- filed by Barbara Sage and seeking unspecified damages -- argues that officers acted on an unlawful warrant, used excessive force and didn't announce their intentions when they entered the Sages' Arcata home on May 27, 2011, looking for evidence of illegal marijuana cultivation that they never found.

More interesting to medical marijuana advocates is Barbara Sage's argument that police didn't have sufficient probable cause for the search because they failed to present any evidence that the Sages' suspected marijuana cultivation fell outside the bounds of state and local medical marijuana laws and regulations.

Arcata City Attorney Nancy Diamond and other city officials either didn't respond to calls seeking comment for this story or declined to comment, saying they hadn't seen a copy of the complaint as of Wednesday.

When previously contacted by the Times-Standard, local officials declined to specifically comment on the search of the Sages' home -- when she opened her door to an officer disguised as a utility meter reader only to have about a dozen officers enter her home with guns drawn -- but said police act in a good faith attempt to target individuals who are in flagrant violation of Proposition 215 and Arcata's medical marijuana ordinance.
They noted that most violators act under the auspices of medical marijuana and that the hazy state of California's laws make enforcement a complicated endeavor.

Barbara Sage's attorneys, Peter Martin and Jeffrey Schwartz, argue that she and her husband did everything asked of them. They hired an electrician to come in and rewire their garage, making sure it was done to code. They grew only for themselves, according to the attorneys, making sure their indoor garden was within the confines of Arcata's medical marijuana land use ordinance, which allows for grows of up to 50 square feet that utilize no more than 1,200 watts per residence.

"She is the quintessential medical marijuana patient," Schwartz said of Sage.

In a previous interview, Barbara Sage said she uses medical marijuana to treat hip pain and help with her insomnia, while her late husband used it to help treat prostate cancer and other ailments. She said the couple never sold their marijuana, not even to a collective.

The search warrant served on the Sages' home stemmed from an affidavit in support of a search warrant filed by Arcata Police Officer Brian Hoffman -- who is specifically named as a defendant in the suit -- asserting that there was probable cause to believe the Sages were committing a felony.

Acting on a tip from an unnamed "state park employee" who reported that he commonly smelled growing marijuana coming from the Sages' residence, Hoffman stated that he went down to the Sages' Zehndner Avenue home and smelled a "strong odor of growing marijuana emanating from the residence" on May 1.

Hoffman states in the affidavit that he then got a search warrant for Pacific Gas and Electric Co. records, which indicated the household's electrical usage ranged from 2,796 kilowatt hours to 5,362 kilowatt hours in each of the three prior months.

The officer submitted the affidavit -- which was signed off on by Humboldt County Deputy District Attorney Max Cardoza -- and received a search warrant signed by Judge Dale Reinholtsen the same day.

When officers served the search warrant about two weeks later, they found no marijuana -- growing or processed -- and Sage claims no marijuana had been in her residence since May 5, 2011.

Sage's complaint argues that Hoffman and his fellow officers took no steps to investigate whether the Sages' grow fell within the guidelines of Arcata's medical marijuana ordinance and had no facts to suggest a felony was being committed.

Dale Gieringer, California coordinator for the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, said state medical marijuana laws only offer what's called "a limited immunity from prosecution," meaning prosecutors shouldn't bring a case against someone unless they have solid evidence that it is not for medicinal purposes. That limited immunity currently doesn't apply to search warrants under most interpretations of the law.

Nonetheless, Gieringer said he understands the argument Schwartz and Martin are making.

"I understand where they're trying to go with it, but nobody's taken the law this far," he said.

Schwartz said he realizes this, and thinks the case may ultimately be decided by a higher court and could potentially shift the landscape of state medical marijuana law. Schwartz said he hopes the suit is successful locally, but said he is fully prepared to move the case up the chain if a judge throws it out locally.

"This is Humboldt County," Schwartz said. "We should be the ones taking the lead on this. Nobody else is doing it, and we get more of these cases than most counties."

University of California Hastings associate professor of law Hadar Aviram previously told the Times-Standard that she thinks Sage's claim is an interesting one that highlights the hazy world of California's medical marijuana law.

Aviram said she sees both sides of the argument. You have patients on the one hand who are doing everything by the book but could still see a parade of police barge into their house. On the other, you have police trying to enforce a law that has so much gray area the only answer is to go into someone's home and see what they find.

"It all comes down to how much do we expect the police to verify the situation before they walk in," she said, "and I see good arguments on both sides."

Aside from the probable cause issue, Sage argues that police violated the "knock-notice" rule, which requires them to announce their presence and that they are serving a warrant when entering someone's home, and that Hoffman failed to include a statement of expertise and qualifications to support the warrant. Further, Sage claims officers used unnecessary force when they came into her home with guns drawn, allegedly pulled her sick husband from bed -- tearing oxygen tubes from his nose -- and put him on the ground in handcuffs.

"This rough treatment affected his mood drastically, and he went into a state of depression after the search that hastened his death," the suit states.

Speaking generally, and not about the Sage case, Arcata Police Chief Tom Chapman said he and his officers have no interest in going after legitimate medical marijuana patients. He said the department relies heavily on PG&E records when investigating suspected grow houses, noting a strong relationship between electricity consumption rates and grow sizes. Chapman added that there's no such thing as a "legal" grow in California, noting that state medical marijuana laws only offer a "defense for a crime."

Schwartz indicated he'd like to see Sage's complaint change that, lending medical marijuana patients the same privacy rights as other citizens. However, Schwartz said, Sage would have been happy not to bring the suit if the district attorney's office or local law enforcement had agreed to require that search warrants rely on evidence that marijuana grows fall outside of medicinal bounds before issuing them.

Schwartz said those conversations had little traction, so Sage is suing in an effort to make sure no other legitimate patients wind up in the situation she did -- with police guns pointed at them as officers search their homes.

Schwartz and Martin said the suit specifically names Hoffman in an effort to show that the officers who sign their names on affidavits in support of search warrants can and will be held personally liable.

"Our primary goal at this point is to let law enforcement in Humboldt County know that their days of having a free pass are over," Martin said.

pot_civil_rights.jpg

News Hawk - 420 Warrior 420 MAGAZINE
Source: Times-Standard
Author: Thadeus Greenson
Copyright: © 2012 - Times-Standard

no pot found? hmmmm. no need for medical defense here. blatant violation of rights here. hope she gets tons of money from her suit.

no pot found? hmmmm. no need for medical defense here. blatant violation of rights here. hope she gets tons of money from her suit.

"This rough treatment affected his mood drastically, and he went into a state of depression after the search that hastened his death," the suit states.

The really sad part of this whole thing, is that the trauma induced by these militant LEO's has now caused her to loose her beloved husband!

There are no excuses for these so called "Professionals" to conduct themselves in such unprofessional ways, as to cause someone's death, by being so violently militant! Where's the justification here?

IMO, these cops should be standing trial for murder! There are no excuses for their violent actions...Period!

they just don't care how bad they screw up peoples lives.

Gestapo Tactics!!! "We'll scare the hell out of all law abiding citizens even if we have no true reason to enforce the old ways; this way the people know we are in charge and we do what we want not what they have voted for. Sound familiar? Hitler created a lies about the Jews and now elderly people are a hazard? These cops; everyone of them should be made to care for her needs and her grandchildren needs for the next 200 years. Take the pensions these cops would have received and give it to her and her husband decedents. Take the college funds set up for the children of these thugs and give it to the Great Grand Children.

Personally we need to put these bastards in the prisons they have put so many of us into over the years fro this crime. When WWII was over we held all war crimes to justice. HANG THOSE Liars and Murderers.

Oh I hear it now lets forgive their stupidity. They were only doing what they believe is right. REALLY we voted years ago to remove the stigma of using for medical purposes but these thugs still go running in with guns drawn and yank an elderly man from his oxygen tubes,throw him to the floor so they could subdue the dangerous criminal?

Please they really must think Americans are really stupid.

Well we are!! We still let these monster have control over our neighborhoods and sit by as they continue their reign of goose stepping tactics.

Stand up America and put a stop to these atrocities.

Vote No Confidence in our political system at the next elections. Register and VOTE.

Send the message to all the parties in the running... NO! No More Complacency! :thumb:

If you think the law enforcement community cares about upholding all laws you must think that you live in a representative democracy.
Which you do not.
LOOK at Michigan, "We The People" voted for MMJ in a landslide of votes 63% voted FOR it. I doubt any politician in state History has received such a majority vote. Yet we are still getting our doors kicked in, murdered whenever they do a no knock.
We do not live in a democracy .

I HOPE SHE WINS MILLIONS FROM THE COUNTY. AND BANKRUPTS THAT EFFIN COP WHO FILED FOR THE WARRANT.!!

Being a retired cop who worked dope, it reads as if 'due diligence' was NOT used in this case. This happens when somebody hurries to get the cuffs on somebody and it turns into a clusterfu¢k because "Miester Hoffman" wanted to win that war. I was there, the frontlines...We should pack our shit and go home, WAIT! this is our home.

Smelling a strong odor of mmj in Humboldt County? No way. I hope Ms. Sage (The now widow) gets everything she wants out of this and 'Miester Hoffman' has to write parking tickets and clean jail cells.... Guys like that ruin it for the rest, seems they are multiplying..

Remember now.... It went through Miester Hoffman's supervisor and then to an asst. D.A. *** I'm throwing my hands up on this one.. This could have all been avoided by just knocking on the door and asking Ms. Sage what her current status was, you know when she was still married to her cancer ridden husband. 100% did that stress drive him to an early grave...

nice to see a former cop changing sides, but i have to wonder, what the cost was to society while you were a cop arresting peeps for plants. thank you for waking up.

OldRed- The only cannabis related calls were because of #1) Stealing electricity to the tune of $240k and #2) was the 47 visible plants growing over the fence line. In instance #1, I'm thinking if he had paid the electricity bill as opposed to stealing it we wouldn't have been called. Again in #2, over the limit and forged grower's permit. The neighbor who shared a fence called the cops, as he didn't want thieves coming through his yard, around his family. Both instances could be attributed to "greed"

I've always been for the legalization of marijuana. I've also thought that those incarcerated for "possession only" be freed immediately and those in for "sales" can now purchase their freedom from the state for $16,000 payable to the state from which you came. I've also been leaning towards legalizing all drugs. This would really clean out the penal institutions. To use/buy you would need a Gov't.issued card which cost $129.00/year.
This would now lower the price on all the drugs. The heroin addict/burglar now, instead of burgling $1,000 worth of loot, now can go to CVS and get his "horse" for $10.00 which used to cost $300, the amount he/she would've received from a "fence"
Our neighbors to the south of U.S. would then have to find new customers as they could not compete w/Uncle Sam.

With all of this saved money from the farce that is "The War On Drugs" we can then disband the alpha bet agency that are worthless than tits on a pig anyway, and fight the war on terror, remember now, all the Mexicans are selling their wares elsewhere... not to mention the hemp oil for the vehicles....

P.S. I also don't agree w/buying more nuclear weapons and how much do we piss away on that yearly? We, by ourselves can blow the world up already so why do we need more? And while I am on my soapbox, if I was one of these athletes making upwards of $100m-$200m I'd be ashamed to celebrate that fact while there are people starving right here...

God Bless You barry! very well said. slight difference in oppinion here. Marijuana should be free to grow,posess,transport and sell, no different than tomato's or any plant. are we going to accept it when big brother tells us we can't grow nutmeg, you can get high from that too, what about the 100's of other herbal medications? should we let them regulate them too? Personally, I beleive we are way over regulated and controlled allready. other than that, I agree 100% with you! Thanks for the insight.

Stealing is "WRONG" that is what those people should have been arrested for, not pot. allthough, consider the fact that utilities work with LEO's providing information about excessive usage patterns, were they stealing just to rip off the power co. or to avoid detection. if it were legal there would be no need to steal electricity, most like me would prefer to grow the way God intended, natural sun and environment and love. Legalizing would reduce a lot of stress on an allready over worked power grid. growing outside replenishes oxygen to the environment and causes no carbon emissions.

I have to ask, Mr. Barry.. As an ex-cop, what would you tell the hundreds of thousands of cops here in Georgia, that will end your freedom to live in society for a single seed?

Why do they feel the need to be so militant towards the people they are supposed to protecting and serving?

I just don't get the hatred towards nonviolent, passive adults!?

I really want to see guys like yourself, re-educating these over aggressive, military tactic using, hateful cops here in this state and let them know that all they are doing is burning up any chance of harmony and respect between the people who they are supposed to be helping and themselves!

They have absolutely ruined any chance of respect and admiration of the common man here and are among the most feared and hated people in this state...without a doubt!

The thing is...This isn't just a case of a few bad apples, this is the whole state worth of police officials being that way!

I honestly believe they would just as well line us up and execute us on site, than to listen to reason about this plant...WHY!?...PLEASE! Do tell? Inquiring minds want to know?

Thank you for seeing the truth about this wonderful plant, my friend! :thanks::high-five:

I never read that these elderly people were stealing electricity. I believe someone throw that in. The accusation was the smell of bud in the air. They had an Qualified Electrician install all the required wiring and they were growing in the garage at one time; but they had no plants at the time and no MMJ was found on the premises. The elderly man was laying in his bed with tubes yanked from his nose when he was pull out of bed and thrown to the floor. This was the dangerous criminals they arrested. No Plants were ever seen or found. The warrant was based on a very over zealous county and city idiots. I have seen this very action used on me. I have never grown or will I grow as long as idiots are allowed to run our government.

As the retired officer said; take all control of drugs away from the government other than purity make it not illegal to use. If someone wants to throw their life away for a shot or pill there is no law that will stop them.

If we keep putting them prison , feed clothe and pamper them with drug court this nation will continue to sink ever lower. It is a shame that there are those who would do this to themselves but we will always have them. Of course the best case scenario would be for them to not do this. But such is the nature of the beast.

If a real crime is committed then have the guts to have at the very least the case files with irrefutable evidence to back up a raid with guns drawn and thug tactics only when you have good evidence there will be guns in the home.

I had a complete team of DEA, San Bernadino County Narcotic officers and California troopers kick my door while I was out shopping with my then 6 year old son. Now understand I came home to neighbors running up to my truck telling me what transpired. No standby officer, not even a note with a business card for me to contact them. It took me three business days to track down the criminals and guess what the commanding officer said...Oops sorry as he laughed about it saying that they had gone to the wrong address. On the wrong street a full two blocks away. They were going on a tip with a vague direction of a house in our area; while my house looked nothing like the house they eventual raided for cookers of Meth.

There was no real concern of the safety of my son or of my neighbors.
This very incident happened to a close friend of my parents. except in the zealous efforts of those police a neighbor was shot by accident in the apartment up stairs even when the people where not home down stairs and were a retired couple who had wrongly been identified as drug dealers by a very senile old women in a apartment down at the other end of the same apartments after a quarrel with the others couples husband in the laundry room. The man upstairs die of his wounds and three children grew up without a father and a woman was left to raise three boys with out a husband who was a Vietnam War Veteran.

I am completely fed up with law enforcement these days. At one time I was going to be a Los Angeles County Sheriff. Then I saw what it was doing to me and witnessed brutality back in the 70's to Mexicans, Afro-Americans. and Asians who were just doing their best to just survive in a lousy national consensus that they all were just to different to be here. Yet all these people had been born right here in America.

It has gotten better but this nation has a lot to grow up yet. :cough:

How do you teach a set mind to see the truth.

Warning:
Have you every tried to catch wild boar?
If you want to know how ask and I will post the answer. :slide:

I don't know any cops in Georgia but I could take a wild stab... the same thing that makes them "badge heavy", makes people have to get that first spot, cut people off and step on others if they can.. EGO just like some people shouldn't drink alcohol, some shouldn't be in law enforcement. These are the cops who go from PD to PD looking for their niche but can never find it because they are so miserable they draw shit and drama, like flies to a dead carcass.... OR #2) They got beat up in high school and it is time to "even the score"... He who laughs last laughs uncontrollably quite often... :Namaste:

How close did I get?

funny
A DEA officer stopped at a ranch in Texas , and talked with an old rancher. He told the rancher, "I need to inspect your ranch for illegally grown drugs." The rancher said, "Okay , but don't go in that field over there.....", as he pointed out the location.
The DEA officer verbally exploded saying, " Mister, I have the authority of the Federal Government with me!" Reaching into his rear pants pocket, the arrogant officer removed his badge and proudly displayed it to the rancher. "See this fucking badge?! This badge means I am allowed to go wherever I wish.... On any land !! No questions asked or answers given!! Have I made myself clear......do you understand ?!!"
The rancher nodded politely, apologized, and went about his chores. A short time later, the old rancher heard loud screams, looked up, and saw the DEA officer running for his life, being chased by the rancher's big Santa Gertrudis bull...... With every step the bull was gaining ground on the officer, and it seemed likely that he'd sure enough get gored before he reached safety. The officer was clearly terrified. The rancher threw down his tools, ran to the fence and yelled at the top of his lungs.....

"Your badge, show him your fucking BADGE........ ! !"

I know, i cant stop rolling around myself. probably true too. Arrogant Bastards!

DEA !!! OMG that was just to funny... Thanks for the laugh... I needed that. Sometime we will lose sight of the purpose of our movement.

Tao

LLKBA

Live, Love and Kick the Bastards Ass.

Back
Top Bottom