Are My Autos Going Hermie? And Organic Soil Questions

CBDMed

Hi. I am a relatively new grower, and I have mild autism. I am trying to grow my own medicine 1:1.
I have a number of problems going on with my autos, and need help.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Should I start at the start?

When I was in the States I bought bagged soil, and put it over the top of either Clackamas Coot's or SubCool's Supersoil.
Now I am in Colombia, and I don't have access to any organic nutrients like that (at least not at a reasonable cost. I wish I did!).
If I could find organic nutrients to make supersoil, I would use them in a minute, but I cannot find them here.
I want to keep my grow organic, because it is medicine for me.

In Colombia they have really nice but heavy black dirt (topsoil). I tried mixing it with a lot of coco coir, rice hulls, and Perlite, to open it up--and it did open up a lot, but next time I need to open it up even more (so it does not cake when it dries out).
I also mixed in a lot of worm castings (maybe 20-25%), and threw in lots of ground egg shell powder, and some volcanic rock dust, so it would have some kind of organic something.
It looked good when I mixed it, but after it was watered and dries out, it gets a little hard (crusty), so for the next batch I need to figure out how to mix it so that it stays soft (even after it has been watered and then gets dried out).

I made a big newbie mistake and overwatered, and the growth came to a halt.
I figured out what I was doing wrong, and quit watering 4-5 days ago, and put some heating pads under the babies, and now it looks like it may be time to water again tomorrow (yay!).
I am planning to water with banana peel tea.

I planted Delicious Seeds' Auto Blue Ace, to get 1:1 or 1:2 medicinal weed.
I have not grown it before.
I also have not grown autos before.

I wanted to make seeds, to be auto-sustaining. I also have not done that before.
I made some strong colloidal silver water (estimated 40 ppm).
I marked the best looking plant (Plant A), and have been taking that plant aside a few feet and have been spraying it heavily each morning with colloidal silver for about a week now, and then I bring it back to the rest of the plants.
Now I look on the stalk for Plant A, there are what look like a few tiny male flower sacs forming where the fan leaves join to the stalk.

However, I look over at another different plant (Plant B), and it looks like it has a lot of male flower sacs all over it (and I have not sprayed it with the colloidal silver water at all).
Plant B is taller than Plant A, by a little. At first I thought it might be a phenotype thing (and it might be), but now I am wondering if Plant B is a hermaphrodite?

Is it safe to stop spraying the plant I was spraying with colloidal silver water (Plant A), and let Plant B go ahead and make seeds?
Or will they all end up hermaphrodite if I use Plant B's pollen to make seeds?

Also, is it reasonable to reach out to the vendor (Delicious) and ask them about it?

Thank you very much for your help.

Hermie 6b.jpg

What you have circled is not a male part, it's a female calyx that hasn't put out a pistil yet. Single calyxes often form at the nodes. No worries.

As far as your soil, for immediate use, I add a lot of forest mulch to your mixture. That's not the top layer of leaves, it's the almosted totally broken down layer just above the soil and under the fresh leaf litter. I can only image that in a tropical climate that would be very good stuff (but don't bring any critters back) ! The reality is that most organic soils need to be cooked (composted) for a while before using. With organic bag soils, the cooking has already been done for you. Your mix sounds pretty good, but know that things like rock dust and egg shells will take a while to be useful to your plants. From your description the top soil might have a lot of clay in it, which could be why it's drying strangely (?). I'd start a soil mix outside, keep it moist (not wet) turn it occassionally and let it cook for a couple months. There are several good organic soil mix recipes on this site. Best of luck! I know there are others that can add a lot.

Phytoplankton, thank you!
Ok, yes, I will keep on with the original plan, and will keep spraying Plant A.
Could Plant B be a more leggy (Sativa?) phenotype, then?

Yes, it makes sense that there is a lot of clay in this soil. It seems right.
I can try to find forest mulch, but I am 100% sure that there will be critters in it, and I don't actually have an oven.
Could I put it in a tumbler composter
I tried putting banana peels and cardboard in the tumbler composter, and we got a bazillion flies and maggots all over the roof, so I am not eager to use it again, at least until we get chickens.

Oh, also, could I please ask you? Plant A (the one I am spraying with colloidal silver) seems to have some serious leaf curl.
The soil just barely dried out today, so it might still have some symptoms of overwatering going on, but I was wondering if it might also be nitrogen toxicity (maybe from all of the worm castings, or maybe from the once or twice that I fed it with cow manure tea, before it started flowering).
Does that leaf curl seem like overwatering, or like nitrogen toxicity, or like something else to you?
Thank you very much.

Plant A.jpg

Thank you.

Phytoplankton, thanks for your comment about the contents of the forest floor. That helped me a lot. The next time I go to mix soil for pots, I will think about recreating the forest floor / leaf mould, etc. I will also try to check out those organic soil recipes.

Back
Top Bottom