Arizona Outdoor Growing

I moved to AZ about 5 years ago and previously lived in Ca. I have grown both indoors and have done a whole lot of outdoors growing. The biggest problem with growing in AZ is partly the sun but more so the heat. Everytime I have tried growing outdoors here the heat just kills off the plants by about the middle of July.

My next outdoors attempt will be to grow in an area that gets full sun in Janurary but has shade by the end of March and see if that will do the trick.

Looking to put some plants outside soon that have been in veg for about 6 weeks. They are some good bagseed from a friend. I live in a remote area in az and my yard has irrigation. Thought I would run a line to a few plants and give them nutes manually on occasions. I have not decided on the pots size or type. Don't really want to dig holes the ground is hard and rocky. Introducing the plants to the az sun is a gradual process after having them under cfl's.

Curently have 5 female hempy's that I bring in and out on 12/12. They are on 41 days in flower and doing well. My outdoor grow will be in some sort of soil medium and not the traditional pertilite hempy.

Ideas?

Hello, I don't have any problem growing outside here in Mesa, Arizona during the summer. The bright light and heat make the glandular trichomes on the female flowers much more potent. Besides, marijuana is adapted well to a hot climate. You just have to give them adequate water. I start the seeds in April or May between moist paper towels in the dark in food storage containers. When I see the hypocotyl emerge I move the seed to a 4" pot. I grow the plants there until they have their second or third set of real leaves (not including cotyledons), then I plant them out in full sun. I shade them lightly until they are firmly established. For this I use propagation flats. I prepare the soil by turning in a lot of compost to about 12" deep. The more the merrier. Then I cover the surface with compost about three inches thick. I carefully remove the plants from the 4" pots and gently plant them. I sometimes stake them up so the wind doesn't blow them over. I water them with a simple drip system with a simple fertilizer injector. Every time I water I use a little bit of Miracle Grow. Not too much because you can burn your plants and kill them if you give them too much fertilizer. Today i the end of August and the flower buds are about half grown. I will probably harvest them in October or November, when about 2/3 of the trichomes have turned red. If you see some leaves droop, its time to water again. Water deeply, and wait until you see a little droopage before watering again. We can grow almost anything here if you give it water. Dont forget to remove the males. I usually keep a few males for a few weeks just so I get some good seeds for next year. Growing plants outside in Arizona it is better to grow them in the ground. The ground is much cooler than the soil in a big container. A container is exposed to the heat on all sides. Soil is only exposed on the surface. Compost on the surface will greatly reduce soil evaporation because it interrupts the capillary action that draws water up to the surface where it evaporates. Compost also keeps the plants cooler and adds nutrients as it decomposes. It also has many microsites for cation excange capacity. Good stuff. Enjoy.

SRP uses a transmitter on the meter so they don't have to come into your yard anymore. The city still does, however. If the meter is in the backyard, don't grow it there. Or make a simple 12x12 grow shed covered with white shade cloth or some translucent but not transparent material. Or, plant tall plants around the place you use for your crop. Mine is surrounded by a hedge of desert broom, palo verde and mesquite. The drip system is remotely operated.

growing in the ground is much much better than in containers if you can. Containers will get much hotter than the ground and so water will evaporate more quickly, creating salt problems faster.

I make my own mulch and lots of it. I have a compost pile constantly making more compost. I make about four cubic yards of mulch compost a year. I add lawn clippings, food scraps (not meat or fat) horse manure, leaves, whatever. If your yard doesn't generate enough organic matter to compost, collect leaves and grass clippings from your neighbors. Steal it from green waste barrels. Buy it if you have to. Singh's soils on Thomas just east of the 101 on the SRPMIC is a good place and pretty cheap. You can buy it in burlap bags.

Hello, I don't have any problem growing outside here in Mesa, Arizona during the summer. The bright light and heat make the glandular trichomes on the female flowers much more potent. Besides, marijuana is adapted well to a hot climate. You just have to give them adequate water. I start the seeds in April or May between moist paper towels in the dark in food storage containers. When I see the hypocotyl emerge I move the seed to a 4" pot. I grow the plants there until they have their second or third set of real leaves (not including cotyledons), then I plant them out in full sun. I shade them lightly until they are firmly established. For this I use propagation flats. I prepare the soil by turning in a lot of compost to about 12" deep. The more the merrier. Then I cover the surface with compost about three inches thick. I carefully remove the plants from the 4" pots and gently plant them. I sometimes stake them up so the wind doesn't blow them over. I water them with a simple drip system with a simple fertilizer injector. Every time I water I use a little bit of Miracle Grow. Not too much because you can burn your plants and kill them if you give them too much fertilizer. Today i the end of August and the flower buds are about half grown. I will probably harvest them in October or November, when about 2/3 of the trichomes have turned red. If you see some leaves droop, its time to water again. Water deeply, and wait until you see a little droopage before watering again. We can grow almost anything here if you give it water. Dont forget to remove the males. I usually keep a few males for a few weeks just so I get some good seeds for next year. Growing plants outside in Arizona it is better to grow them in the ground. The ground is much cooler than the soil in a big container. A container is exposed to the heat on all sides. Soil is only exposed on the surface. Compost on the surface will greatly reduce soil evaporation because it interrupts the capillary action that draws water up to the surface where it evaporates. Compost also keeps the plants cooler and adds nutrients as it decomposes. It also has many microsites for cation excange capacity. Good stuff. Enjoy.

I find that pot likes full sun, even here in Arizona summers. If the plants grow in the shade they tend to get etiolated (stringy, long internodes). Pot is adapted to hot climates. Just give it water when it starts to show the first signs of wilting (the lower leaves wilt first). I use a drip system with a siphon to draw dissolved miracle grow fertilizer into the water. Not too much! Lots of light and even heat will make more glandular trichomes on the female flowers. Growing in the ground is better than pots by far if you can. But use 3" of compost or mulch on the surface to reduce surface evaporation.

I have never had any trouble with insects. The insects I find are not eating the plant, but looking for prey. I have always been surprised when people say they use insecticides. I never have any losses from insects. And who wants to inhale pesticides? IF you do have an insect problem, you can spray with a mild soap solution. It plugs up the pores the insects use to breathe and they die quickly if they get hit with thte spray. Later, after the evil-dooers are dead, spray the plants off so they can breathe too.

avoid the sun during the hottest part of the days and use those water retention polymers. Your going to need to either container grow or dig holes and change out the sandy desert soil for a good potting soil. I grew up in Yuma for a while as a kid. Loved the desert.
Hey Racefan! Thrilled to see you here! I live in Yuma AZ currently am trying to find help on outdoors growing.
I purchased clones and was told by seller they couldn't be grown outdoors. I tried anyway because previously my attempts from seed had been "sprout die sprout die..."
This time trying to put them outside was a no go! Dried up right away. Kept them in the AZ room and they started to flower! At 3 inches tall! Put them outside 4 of 6 still alive. Wish to try again but need you! Someone who knows Yuma weather because nothing compares!
Thanking you in advance for your kind assistance
Valerie

I am about to start planting some marijuana outdoor in Arizona and I could use any help I can get. It will be very hot so does anybody know any ways to help my plants work through the heat??? Or any other help would be nice.
We also live in Phoenix and have built a greenhouse with swamp coolers and a misting system. So far so good. I think you will need the humidity.

I am about to start planting some marijuana outdoor in Arizona and I could use any help I can get. It will be very hot so does anybody know any ways to help my plants work through the heat??? Or any other help would be nice.
20210411_183928.jpg

Wish I were in the position for greenhouse set up! I'm just going to keep trying the old fashioned way. As pointed out they do it in Mexico even tho I don't care for that weed. If I can get them strong enough and use screens but can't do anything about the humidity.

Yesss very good idea what exactly is mulch though??? The soil mix I was planning on using is a controlled mix of organic potting soil, perlite, masonary sand, worm castings, and a good premix. Does anyone have any experience growing in such hot and dry conditions??? Is there a chance that because it is so hot out that the plants will die??? I think that as long as i keep them nice and moist and spray around the plants once a day to simulate humidity they will be ok... I hope...
So spraying around will fake humidity?! Thank you!

You are amazing!!

Yesss very good idea what exactly is mulch though??? The soil mix I was planning on using is a controlled mix of organic potting soil, perlite, masonary sand, worm castings, and a good premix. Does anyone have any experience growing in such hot and dry conditions??? Is there a chance that because it is so hot out that the plants will die??? I think that as long as i keep them nice and moist and spray around the plants once a day to simulate humidity they will be ok... I hope...
Plant your seedlings mid June (earlier may cause premature flowering and revenging) in holes you dug out and mixed with good growing mix, keep them sufficiently watered and you will have some huge yields. I have three outdoor plants right now and they’re over 6 1/2’ tall and have endured 118 several days this summer.
-from Surprise, AZ

I’m growing plants outside in the Phoenix area as we speak. My plants are shielded from most of the direct brutal afternoon sun, but don’t m ow that it matters. My plants are doing very well. My two GDP’s are over 6 1/2’ tall and nearly ready for harvest. My Death Star is very very close to harvest. Very few of the fan leaves experience some heat stress from time to time, but very very little. I’m expecting to see a yield of at least 40oz of cleaned manicured bud when these three are dried and cured, but probably more.

I’m growing plants outside in the Phoenix area as we speak. My plants are shielded from most of the direct brutal afternoon sun, but don’t m ow that it matters. My plants are doing very well. My two GDP’s are over 6 1/2’ tall and nearly ready for harvest. My Death Star is very very close to harvest. Very few of the fan leaves experience some heat stress from time to time, but very very little. I’m expecting to see a yield of at least 40oz of cleaned manicured bud when these three are dried and cured, but probably more.
Doing good. I live in mesa have a few in our green house. Post some pictures of those plants.

Plant your seedlings mid June (earlier may cause premature flowering and revenging)

Throw a light on them at night to interior their dark cycle, and they shouldn't enter the flowering phase. OtOH, it does then to "showcase" the cannabis plants, lol, so it's anti-stealth, if that is a consideration.

Back
Top Bottom