Assembly Candidate Proposes Legalization of Marijuana for Adults in California

Stoner4Life

Democrat Michael Glover is the first major-party legislative candidate in California to advocate full-scale adult use marijuana legalization. His opponent, Republican Chuck DeVore, touts the fact that he co-sponsored the Industrial Hemp Bill, AB 1147, which is now on the Governor's desk. However, DeVore has tended to follow his party's leadership in opposing other drug reform legislation.

Michael G. Glover, Democratic candidate for the California Assembly in the 70th District, announced today that he is an advocate for the legalization and
taxation of marijuana for adult consumption in California. Mr. Glover stated that according to the Attorney General California is spending over 300 Million on marijuana eradication, and it is estimated that California would receive over 2 _ Billion Dollars in additional revenue with legalization and taxation of marijuana. Besides additional revenue and savings in court, law enforcement and prison budget, legalization would actually decrease the availability to minors by making sale and distribution subject to state
regulation, "there are no regulation or supervision of sales under the current system" Mr. Glover stated, "drug dealers do not ask for
identification."

Mr. Glover believes that the state is missing an opportunity to divert precious law enforcement and prison resources for use against persons who commit crimes against people and property.

Criminals who commit crimes against people and property should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. If we end the prosecution and
incarnation of marijuana possession and tax possession, use, and sale, more law enforcement and correctional resources will be available for public safety. Non-violent offenders are not a threat to public safety and instead of incarceration they should be free to work and pay taxes."

Furthermore legalization would end the debate on "medical marijuana" and force the Federal Government to end discrimination against use of
marijuana by responsible adults and those who have legitimate medical needs.

Although California was the first state to legalize marijuana for medical use under
proposition 215 in 1996, but the Federal Government has refused to allow legitimate use of marijuana for medical purposes. Californians need to end this Federal prosecution by legalizing marijuana for adults for all medical and
recreational use. Then the Federal Government from would no longer be able to prohibit legitimate medical use because it would be legal for all adults.

"Marijuana should be legal and taxed for adults, maintaining current prohibitions on public intoxication and driving under the influence" according to Mr. Glover. "Our prisons are in crisis, law enforcement and the courts are
overtaxed, and marijuana is under-taxed". Mr. Glover's opponent in this election has sponsored legislation to legalize hemp production in California, but Mr. Glover would take this one step further.

Mr. Glover believes that with tax revenues from marijuana, Californians can fix the state budget deficit and bring down costs for higher education, while still providing more money for K-12 education and our schools. Mr. Glover's
opponent voted against money for our schools in the 2006 budget. For more information, to contribute, volunteer, or express your support,
please visit the official campaign website: Michael Glover for State Assembly - Home.

To read the official campaign statement of Mr. Glover, please visit:

https://www.oc.ca.gov/ELECTION/candidate/gen2006/1350-1.pdf

Newshawk: Stoner4Life - 420Times.com
Source: Cal NORML
Pubdate: Mon 25 Sept. 2006
Copyright: 2006 NORML

Has my vote for sure. Make some great points doesn't he.

Oh wow someone else go look at his page and tell me he doesn't look high.

Yup hes deffinently got my vote

I saw the front page pic and cracked up. Then I went to his pic gallery, and he looks stoned in all of them. Walks like a duck, talks like a duck....

I am so happy someone has taken up this issue in CA. We need it!! He makes a lot of sense.

Thanks, Stoner

Peace and happiness

I sent him a email asking him if he knew any other california politicans that would have views similar to his. Hopefuly he'll get back to me soon.

Power to Mr Glover!

Back
Top Bottom