Landmark Marijuana Legalization Bill Introduced in California

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Assemblyman Tom Ammiano (D-SF) announced the introduction of a landmark bill to tax and regulate marijuana like alcohol and tobacco at a press conference today.

"With the state in the midst of an historic economic crisis, the move towards regulating and taxing marijuana is simply common sense," said Ammiano. "This legislation would generate much needed revenue for the state, restrict access to only those over 21, end the environmental damage to our public lands from illicit crops, and improve public safety by redirecting law enforcement efforts to more serious crimes."

The bill would save the state's taxpayers over $1 billion, according to an economic analysis by California NORML, with additional economic benefits of $12 -18 billion. California NORML | Dedicated to reforming California's marijuana laws! background/CA_legalization2. html.

The bill would provide for licensed producers and distributors, who could sell to adults over 21. Producers would pay an excise tax of $50 per ounce, or about $1 per joint. Sales taxes would generate additional revenues, bringing total tax revenues to $1 billion. Additional economic benefits would be generated in the form of employment, business and payroll taxes and spin-off industries, like the wine industry, amounting to some $12 - $18 billion.

Last but not least, the bill would save the state $170 million in costs for arrest, prosecution and imprisonment of marijuana offenders. The result would be to eliminate such prohibition-related problems as black market dealers and smugglers, grow houses, and pirate gardeners on public lands.

The bill would not alter California's medical marijuana law, which allows patients, caregivers and collectives to grow medicine for themselves.

"California has the opportunity to be the first state in the nation to enact a smart, responsible public policy for the control and regulation of marijuana," said Ammiano. His bill is the first of its kind since

California outlawed cannabis in 1913. Only after being prohibited did marijuana become widely popular, eventually being enjoyed by millions of Californians. Due to soaring enforcement costs, the legislature decriminalized possession of small quantities in the Moscone Act of 1975, saving the state's taxpayers $100 million per year.

However, production and distribution remained illegal, leading to continued prohibition-related enforcement costs. Last year, agents eradicated a record 5 million illegal plants, up more than tenfold in five years. Marijuana arrests jumped to 74,119 in 2007, their highest level since the Moscone Act. California has over 1,500 inmates in state prison for marijuana offenses, ten times as many as in 1980. Marijuana is reported to account for 61% of the illicit drug traffic from Mexico, where prohibition-related violence has killed over 6,800.

"Tom Ammiano deserves credit for recognizing that legal taxation and regulation is the only solution to California's marijuana problem," says Gieringer of California NORML, a sponsor of the bill. "Marijuana users would happily pay taxes to buy it legally."

California NORML also thanks former Sen. John Vasconcellos for providing the original draft of this legislation.

Recent polls indicate that public support for legal marijuana is growing. A new Zogby poll found 44% of American voters support taxing and regulating marijuana, with support as high as 58% in western states: NORML.org - Working to Reform Marijuana Laws - NORML.org - Working to Reform Marijuana Laws

Fact Sheet: Marijuana in California

Number of marijuana users in California:
3 million in the past year, including:
2 million in the past month, including:
500,000 - 600,000 daily users Estimated California consumption:
1 million pounds per year Inmates in state prison for marijuana felonies:
1,511 prisoners Number of marijuana arrests, 2007:
16,123 Felonies (sale & manufacture)
57,995 Misdemanors (possession) Total marijuana arrests since 1970
2.25 million Number of marijuana plants eradicated, 2008:
5.2 million Estimated value of California's marijuana crop: $13.8 billion.

California NORML is a non-profit, membership organization dedicated to reforming California's marijuana laws. Founded in 1972, California NORML is the only state organization devoted specifically to marijuana reform. Our mission is to establish the right of adults to use cannabis legally for recreational as well as medical purposes.

News Hawk: User: 420 Magazine Source: NORML Copyright: 2008 NORML Contact: NORML.org - Working to Reform Marijuana Laws - NORML.org - Working to Reform Marijuana Laws

I doubt it happens, but this is a truly wonderful first step. Let's hope this gains some momentum and the rest of the states at least decide to decriminalize it.

Re: California Assemblyman Introduces Legislation To Tax And Regulate Pot Like Alcoho

Its time to get busy Californians!
Doing what?

I don't know what to do? I daydream how if something came into being wherein I could VOTE....... I'd vote YES.

But, then reality hits me. That the Senate Suckers will never allow this to even be voted on, as a simple Bill or whatever it is now.

Why do you think they call it............... the Whack House?

- sds

Call and write you local (State) Congresspeople and tell them you're behind them. tell them it's safe to be in favor of this bill, and that you and you're friends are voters and will cast your votes accordingly.

It's a big step to actually see a bill such as this introduced and debated.

Even if it doesn't pass this first time, it's still a momentous step in the right direction.

California is nearly bankrupt. I've seen estimates that 15-18 billion of the 40+ billion deficit would be wiped out if they taxed and legalized (tax revenue, police reduction, and incarceration savings)

Desperate politicians looking for a way to head off bankruptcy might realize it's safe to admit the emperor has no clothes.

The bowl is half full not half empty :cheesygrinsmiley:

Let's smoke it

Soniq420's (very) right.

Pardon my... ignoramusness but... if Cali legalizes, I would think the biggest issue then is how is the conflict of differing laws going to be resolved between the Federal gov and State gov? seeings it's still a federal crime on the fed level even if it is "legal" on the state level.

*scratches head*

How can the masses in Cali use a substance that the fed can prosecute for?
Isn't that jeopardizing everyone in Cali?

smokeD

That's the problem now. The feds step in and shut down medical marijuana clubs, many times with excessive force, and the local jurisdictions fear the repercussions of not going along with them. MM patients must travel ridiculous distances to get their meds, and many cannot physically or financially make the trip.

Medical marijuana was voted by the state voters, yet 3 counties in California refused to even acknowledge the law. They are slowly coming around since the Supreme Court refused to hear their case.

So the first step is to vote for decriminlization, then next step is to make sure it actually happens. We are moving in the right direction.

Peace:peace:

I agree with Kitty :cheesygrinsmiley:

I'd also add that the Supreme Court refused to hear the challenge from Garden Grove, which let stand the appellate ruling.

The state appellate court decision from November 28, 2007, ruled that "it is not the job of the local police to enforce the federal drug laws."

An element of this new bill goes even further, local LEO would be prohibited by law from helping the Feds.

Whether it's BS or not, the feds sometimes say that they raid the dispensaries because of complaints from local LEO. I'd think this would become discoverable if the law passed and prosecution is a bit of a disincentive.

So Obama is going to halt the raids, State LEO doesn't have to help, and the new law would prevent State LEO from helping anyway.

Things seem to be heading in the right direction to me

money talks cutting 10-20 BILLION from a deficit and getting
a huge new stream of cash flow and taxes from a product that most true believer republicans will never buy will eventually get past the myths and old lies

as to the FEDS 25% plus of the states have accomadated the progress oif science and allowed med use if cali legalizes and
sees a huge influx of new revenue and fees and a big reduction in costs for crime and corrections congress will have a huge incentive to at least start looking at the law with regard to updating it with fact based ideology.... they have a constitutional duty to accommadate the progress of science in regard to copyrights and patents and to maintain true and accurate records between this and due process and the fact that prohibition is the only amendment that has been repealed!!!!

email makes it easy to tell congress people its safe to reevaluate MJ policy and apply common sense and stop undoing the DARE program with lies about MJ that make kids doubt truth about harder drugs......

How much does an ounce of medical grade cannabiss run? And what percentage does that $50 tax come out to being? Would a sales tax be imposed on top of the flat rate tax $50/oz.

I am all for ending the prohibition against mj. I think DARE should focus its time and energy educating the public about the dangers of cocao derived drugs. Those and chemically manufactured drugs are the ones most often abused by those higher in society to work straight through the night on projects.

Not to mention with Cannabis Sativa L. legal,
we can grow our own fuel, at 20-30+ gallons an acre,
70 -100+ Billion a year depending on the price of a barrel of oil.

Screw a bunch of "Down payments" on our energy future,
Mr. President, appeal the Cannabis prohibition !!!
Then We can Grow Oil and keep that Cash Here in the US.

I'm thinking that it will eventually be legalized in all states as soon as the rest of the states see how it's helping CA. Well that is if it gets passed in CA. It would be wonderful to have this happen! Never thought I'd see the day when there would be a debated about legalizing pot. :cheer: YAY! :cheer:

Call and write you local (State) Congresspeople and tell them you're behind them. tell them it's safe to be in favor of this bill, and that you and you're friends are voters and will cast your votes accordingly.
Soniq420, I appreciate the advice :) -- problem is, I know more about the intravenous gasses of Pluto than I do about "politics."

Call me a dork if you want but I simply heap everything "politics" under "stuff that don't work - need to replace."

Therefore, can you please be specific as to exactly who (whom) it is I am to contact? "Local (State) Congresspeople...." you mean, my post lady?

*scratches head*

Are these the people I'm supposed to contact?

https://www.visi.com/juan/congress/cgi-bin/newseek.cgi?site=ctc&state=ca

https://gov.ca.gov/interact#contact

I... think... I'm in the "24th District"...? therefore, I should contact this dude, too?

https://www.congressmerge.com/onlinedb/cgi-bin/newmemberbio.cgi?lang=&member=CA24&site=congressmerge

If I'm right, just send me a smoke signal... preferably of some kush.

smokeD

That's the problem now. The feds step in and shut down medical marijuana clubs, many times with excessive force, and the local jurisdictions fear the repercussions of not going along with them. MM patients must travel ridiculous distances to get their meds, and many cannot physically or financially make the trip.

Medical marijuana was voted by the state voters, yet 3 counties in California refused to even acknowledge the law. They are slowly coming around since the Supreme Court refused to hear their case.

So the first step is to vote for decriminlization, then next step is to make sure it actually happens. We are moving in the right direction.

Peace:peace:
Which 3 counties?

Wait, you're not one of the 420girls are you? ;-)

all i know is if it is legalized there will be a mass exodus of potheads going to cali to buy a shitload of weed. not only will the government get money from the smokers already living in california, but every pothead who goes there to get it. i live in maryland and i'm already planning a trip. not to mention all of the mcdonalds and taco bell meals i'll buy when i'm there. california is going to make soooooo much money if this is legalized the other states and federal government will have no choice but to follow cali's lead.:slide:

Marijuana isn't a drug....its a plant...:grinjoint::grinjoint:

I just wrote 4 letters to the Govenor, Both Senators and my local representative. will be mailing them out later today, I would encourage as many people as possible to write a short letter on your thoughts and do the same, the more people that write the bigger the support will be!.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

When in my teens I was exposed to mj it was always, "hey you wanna get high?"

It was never, "hey you want to get medicated?"

Therefore, in all honesty, the morons (the "officials") who say, "Oh, that's just pot. They just wanna 'get high,'" are actually spot on. Yes, they are right. Here's why.

Mj / MMj is an intoxicant. It's an inebriate. People who consume marijuana / cannabis get intoxicated and inebriated. And, that's OK, due to this reality:

For 1000s of years people have used all sorts of drugs YouTube - History Channel (Hooked) - Marijuana; Part 1 of 5 liquids and substances to get intoxicated and inebriated and drunk and/or just to relax, even to change their perception.

And, that's all OK. Even God (and, Jesus Christ) are implicated in imbibing wine. During alcohol prohibition they'd have been tossed into prison as criminals in the suddenly altered US judicial system.

Here's my point. It's all the same regarding marijuana from all time, throughout all eras. Before 1996 when 215/420(2003?) were first enacted, no one had ever heard of "getting medicated" using cannabis.

And, this is where a mental conflict of the masses comes in, and rightfully so... when you think about it.

For people to say, "Hey, that's marijuana, even if they do call it 'medical marijuana,'" they have to be acknowledged they are right. And, no doctors can change that reality.

Well, it's what I mainly wanted to comment on. That we are indeed left with a core truth, that, yes, while there are medicinal properties contained in MMj...... and we all know people have always used it (also) as medicine and medication and for remedies.... marijuana/cannabis, as it always has, still get users "high as a big dog."

Hence, when a 65 year old person "blows a joint" for some medical ailment/disorder...... he or she is gonna get as high as Cheech and Chong.

Was true then. Is still true now. Perhaps the "MMj community" needs to get more forthright and upfront in the actual "message" we're sending and broadcasting to the non-get highs. Or, more accurately, to the rest of the people who do get high, only not using Mj. So, they don't see us as trying to pull the wool over their eyes or as us trying to hustle them just so we can "smoke dope."

smokeD

Back
Top Bottom