Atypical head...

MRWRESTLINGII

...howdy folks. New here (otherwise I wouldn't be in the intro forum, huh?). I'm a long-time smoker that didn't start until I was well into my 20's. That was about 15 years ago. I'm an old-school political conservative who leans libertarian (REAL libertarian...not just when it suits me). I'm a married, stay at home parent (hardest job i've ever done in my life). I'm religious (observing lent), and have had several discussions with my priest about the use of marijuana. I appreciate his honesty and he appreciates mine. I just really like to sit back at the end of the day, smoke a bowl with my girl and watch The Simpsons, The Office or Anthony Bourdain/Andrew Zimmern. What a criminal I am, huh?

I'm pretty sick of having to score, and the price here is outrageous ($140/qtr for kind). I'm looking into growing, and looking for tips from other friendly growers. I'm researching how to set up a self-contained system. I've already read about a bazillion threads and my brain is swimming with info.

Anyway....off to read some more.

:ganjamon:

Thank you very much. I went to that thread last night and read and read until my eyes went blurry. That's about the most impressive collection of information on farming that i've ever seen in one place. Kudos to those who've put work into this site. The payoff is amazing.

Right now i'm at point A, which is trying to decide what type of container to purchase in which to farm. I'll be tucking it away in a bedroom closet. Thinking a metal cabinet would get too hot, and it would be difficult to fashion any type of exhaust system. I'm not the handiest fellow in the world, so building one out of wood seems a bit intimidating too. A plastic cabinet doesn't seem like it would be sturdy enough. Maybe a pre-made wood closet?

Anyway....i've been searching for a thread which discusses that issue, but I haven't found one yet. I'll be asking that question when i'm positive that 100 other people haven't already discussed it. :)

Thanks for the welcome. Again, great board.

Are you looking at a premade turnkey box or building one yourself?

I'd recommend you browse this forum, it's dedicated to the threads discussing the issue you are working on.

Cabinet, Closet, & Grow Room Setup - 420 Magazine

Thanks for the kind words; I agree this is a fantastic site.

Howdy Mr. Wrestler, About the grow box, I'm building it myself and it'll be 4X4X4 and its really pretty simple. I bought all the wood, glue, and screws at Lowe's for about $41 and they cut the 4X8 sheets for me there at the store. all I had to cut was the 2X2's and like I said if I can do it, so can You. By the way, did you used to wrestle in Portland back in the 80's? I'm just messin with you , but that used to be part of our Sat. Night entertainment, getting hammered and going down to the sports arena and trying to get the wrestlers that were working out to let us up into the ring to get our butts kicked, heheeh. Anyway, it seems that we've decided to go with the conventional Halide and Sodium lights, and maybe we'll experiment with LED's later. I'll get some construction pics up later, but it's real simple and straight forward. Good Luck and Grow On!:roorrip:

Anyway, it seems that we've decided to go with the conventional Halide and Sodium lights, and maybe we'll experiment with LED's later.

They do make switchable ballasts that will run both HPS or MH, shop around and read up before you decide

A lot of people veg with CFL

Read twice, act once = less rework

I'm such a noob i'm not really sure what a turn-key is...but I was hoping to purchase a cabinet and then modify it. That would be the optimum situation for me I think, although the specs Hoffa mentioned are about exactly what I need. Maybe 2 1/2 to 3' deep though. I'm going to go shopping tomorrow to see what I can find at places like Big Lots, Lowe's and Home Depot.

And no, i'm not the REAL Mr. Wrestling II. I used to watch World Championship Wrestling (?) out of ATLANTA, GA when I was a kid though. I loved watching it with my grandmother. She would get more excited than me. :) Mr. Wrestling II, Kabuki, Freebirds, "WildFire" Tommy Rich, Dusty Rhoads, Dick Murdoch. Man, championship wrestling used to be a lot of fun to watch. For me, compared to then, it really sucks now. MMA fills that void for me though. How about that Mike Brown!!?? Daaaaaaaaamn.

And I can't believe I totally spaced the cabinet forum. I thought I looked through every one. Sheminy....burnt.

:roorrip:

I'm such a noob i'm not really sure what a turn-key is...but I was hoping to purchase a cabinet and then modify it.

By turn key, I mean a box that's made specifically for growing that you just plug in and you're ready to grow.

Here's an example of one design for SOG (sea of green)
Hydro Grow: California Orange Bud

You keep a mother plant in the one chamber, get clones started in another chamber, and flower in the large chamber. This way every 8-13 weeks (depending on strain), you are harvesting the flowers, because the clones are being ready in parallel.

By turn key, I mean a box that's made specifically for growing that you just plug in and you're ready to grow.

Here's an example of one design for SOG (sea of green)
Hydro Grow: California Orange Bud

You keep a mother plant in the one chamber, get clones started in another chamber, and flower in the large chamber. This way every 8-13 weeks (depending on strain), you are harvesting the flowers, because the clones are being ready in parallel.

Gotcha. I'm a bit nervous about purchasing a "plug and go" operation b/c i'm not in a very mj friendly state. I don't trust the mail or UPS. Yes, i'm paranoid.

Plus, even though i'm not much of a DIY'er, paying five to ten times as much as I would making one would be very difficult for me to do. Yes, i'm a cheapskate.

Currently i'm looking at a few cabinets that have an adjustable shelf. I was thinking that would be perfect to pull out the shelf, adjust the pegs to the highest point, install some glass and keep the HPS/MH lights away from the plants.

But that's just an idea I got from browsing. :smokin:

Back
Top Bottom