Bamboo children

Man I love bamboo ... had a huge patch of 20 footers at our last house was great for making stakes to hold up plants with when we needed to thin the herd.

We moved to zone 5b so now trying to find a variety that can handle those super cold days in February without burning. Got a spot wait for me to find some to plant. Dang covid in the way.
Oh man, I would love to have that. Funny cause a friend of mine has some and can't stand them! I want to go over one day and rip em all out and transplant them. Like you said, they would be perfect for my peppers and tomatoes!
Oh man...those are some cold times!! Greenhouse? Is that a possibility? Covid...say no more

There's a formal garden here outside of Rochester about an hour north of us called Sonnenberg gardens ... they have the bamboo that will live here. Just gotta take a trip I think they have a Japanese garden and I think sell bamboo.

Green house be nice... prolly build a tunnel for veggies and weed. Winter is extreme here. Just need a jump on the 2 week summer we get in September. :D

There's a formal garden here outside of Rochester about an hour north of us called Sonnenberg gardens ... they have the bamboo that will live here. Just gotta take a trip I think they have a Japanese garden and I think sell bamboo.

Green house be nice... prolly build a tunnel for veggies and weed. Winter is extreme here. Just need a jump on the 2 week summer we get in September. :D
Wow. I have never heard of that before. The memberships are well-priced and what a beautiful setting. That mansion is glorious!

Hey, I have been watching Life Below Zero and if they can make their veggies last through some of those Alaskan conditions, there has to be some way to make the harvest season at least stretch a little for you

Oh man, I would love to have that. Funny cause a friend of mine has some and can't stand them! I want to go over one day and rip em all out and transplant them. Like you said, they would be perfect for my peppers and tomatoes!
Gotta make sure that the bamboo you go and rip out of your friends yard is not an invasive specie.

I first came across an ornamental bamboo when we moved to a new house when we were kids back in the mid-1960s. It was all along the side fence. In the spring we would break the dead canes off and toss them into the fire. They would explode like small firecrackers. Great fun for us kids.

Next met it about 15 years later when we had a lawn service customer who had it growing along his back fence. It was a nice privacy border; it was green during the growing months and died back in mid fall but the canes stayed upright still providing a bit of privacy by blocking views of the other houses. He could not sell his house until he got rid of all of the stuff even though it was there when he moved in.

Since then I have come across it several times in yards I have done landscape maintenance on. If the stuff is not maintained it will slowly spread until suddenly the home-owner realizes that they have been invaded by the plant from Hell. The stuff is hard to eliminate and once it gets a start it spreads faster than Horseradish. It survives Michigan winters. It survives being cut down weekly. It will fight for its life even after being sprayed with Round-Up or similar plant killing chemicals unless it gets sprayed on a continuous schedule for a couple of months. It will send roots under the walks or drives and come up in any crack in the concrete. It has been known to come up through a crack in the walls in a basement. It is the "Spider Mite of plants".

Look up Japanese Knotweed or Japanese Bamboo 'cause this might what is in your friend's yard and it is not the stuff you want to bring to your yard just to have a free stake for holding up some peppers or tomatoes.

Gotta make sure that the bamboo you go and rip out of your friends yard is not an invasive specie.

I first came across an ornamental bamboo when we moved to a new house when we were kids back in the mid-1960s. It was all along the side fence. In the spring we would break the dead canes off and toss them into the fire. They would explode like small firecrackers. Great fun for us kids.

Next met it about 15 years later when we had a lawn service customer who had it growing along his back fence. It was a nice privacy border; it was green during the growing months and died back in mid fall but the canes stayed upright still providing a bit of privacy by blocking views of the other houses. He could not sell his house until he got rid of all of the stuff even though it was there when he moved in.

Since then I have come across it several times in yards I have done landscape maintenance on. If the stuff is not maintained it will slowly spread until suddenly the home-owner realizes that they have been invaded by the plant from Hell. The stuff is hard to eliminate and once it gets a start it spreads faster than Horseradish. It survives Michigan winters. It survives being cut down weekly. It will fight for its life even after being sprayed with Round-Up or similar plant killing chemicals unless it gets sprayed on a continuous schedule for a couple of months. It will send roots under the walks or drives and come up in any crack in the concrete. It has been known to come up through a crack in the walls in a basement. It is the "Spider Mite of plants".

Look up Japanese Knotweed or Japanese Bamboo 'cause this might what is in your friend's yard and it is not the stuff you want to bring to your yard just to have a free stake for holding up some peppers or tomatoes.
You know what...come to think of it, it is the ugly looking bamboo. And it sure is spread like wildfire back there taking over the entire fence line. I still like the look of it but maybe after this response from you, I may not want to invite that type of chaos in my backyard. I am sure some pandas in China will find it absolutely wonderful though

One more bamboo child has taken root :green_heart: I just love my plants

16399243474266787839401608405726.jpg

16399243809491493769114444099534.jpg

16399244303644016613044067541292.jpg

Back
Top Bottom