Battery Backup for MH or HPS lights

jonesman51

We have moments of no electricity and that throws everything out of whack.

Have to reset all the clocks but the worst is having to worry about the lights.

I am wondering if a standard UPS battery backup would work for a 400 or 1000 watt MH or HPS light. Being momentary, I would imagine it should work but I would like to hear from others.

Thanks much.

I use APC UPS devices daily at work and I wouldn't recommend it unless cost is no issue. I can see my boss cringe every time we talk about a UPS!!

400w load to stay on for 5 minutes I would be looking at $459+.

400w load to stay on for 60 minutes I would be looking at $1,225+.

1000w load to stay on for 5 minutes I would be looking at $780+.

1000w load to stay on for 60 minutes I would be looking at $3,557+

This would only be for a momentary drop. Here in Florida we get a lot of storms that just make a lot of lightning. But that can cause a momentary drop and all the clocks in the house go out as well as the grow light.

I have a Cyberpower 1235VA and also an APC 1500. I was hoping either one might be usable.

Sounds like people are using them as you say you have them.

Well if you have it go for it and see what happens. Plug the light into the unit and pull the power to the unit.

Cheap residential/small office units are NOT meant for this kind of use.

The problem is HID lights hate DC voltage. Steady state voltage will not drive ballast without wave rectifier, or some sort of wave inverter to flip voltage wave. As current drives voltage to zero it's called negative resistance, because of this phenomenon there are no battery driven HID lights. Great thought though.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using 420

What I hear you saying is that a ups must change the battery's DC Voltage to AC.

And that many UPS backups do not have that capability enough to satisfy the MH or HPS ballast. Correct me if I am wrong please.

So I think a call to APC to see what they say would be in order.

I'll let you know what they think.

Not sure I want to just try it without having more info on whether it is dangerous or not. Last thing I want is the Fire Department dropping by...

Back
Top Bottom