Beginners guide to concentrates

TwoGreenBudz

420 Member
“Weed today is stronger than the weed when I grew up!”

The battle-cry of modern prohibitionists. I hear this so often it has become cliche, but it’s somewhat true and thank god. Cannabis from the days of prohibition was grown illegally, usually very far from local, and quality was often (not always!) not the growers main priority. The modern market is overflowing with very high quality flowers with high THC contents and complex flavours. The “new” kid on the block is the modern concentrates scene.

Though Cannabis concentrates are ancient (really! The first marked use of the term hashish was in the year 1123!) The modern market is filled with varying extraction methods and consumption methods that can be truly daunting for those getting ready to dip their toes in when Canada legalizes in October. So what do people need to know about these developments and most importantly how do you navigate them?

Firstly, concentrates are just another form of hash. While traditionally hash is the extraction of the trichromes full of cannabinoids of the cannabis plant rolled into a solid and smoked, these modern forms are simply using a little chemistry to create essentially the same outcome.
Most modern methods tend to use a solvent such as butane that attaches itself to trichomes. This allows the part of the plant that contains the cannabinoids (THC, CBD, THC-A, CBG, etc. more on these in another article!) and essential oils called terpenes to be removed from the leafy plant matter and enjoyed with less by-products. I know, I know, I don’t want solvents in my cannabis either; but fret not because the solvents are purged by heat or a vacuum leaving only what the plants naturally produce.

So why concentrates? First of all is potency. High potency concentrates are often over 80% THC with some THC distillates reaching >95%. This sounds terrifying to new smokers but the devil is in the dose. The smallest bit of vaporized concentrates have a huge effect. Rather than smoking multiple inhalations of smoke which contains some toxic gases produced by combustion, you can reach the same effects with a tiny amount of vaporized concentrates. Afraid to get too high? Understandable, but the rule of thumb with cannabis use is start low and go slow. A piece the size of the tip of a pencil is plenty for a first timer. Need more? Have another. Leave the 1g dabs to the heavy hitters of YouTube. My second reason for concentrates is flavour. While a joint of beautifully cured flower can taste amazing, I’ve never been a fan of the taste of rolling papers, or butane from your lighter. Not to mention the other components of smoke that aren't desirable such as carbon monoxide and hydrogen cyanide. Vaporizing concentrates releases significantly less of these vapors while keeping those beautiful essential oil compounds called terpenes that give cannabis its bouquet. Lastly I’d recommend concentrates because of its discretion. Yes it’s soon legal in Canada but many of us have kids, or judgey neighbors, or maybe we aren't lucky enough to live in a region where it’s legal. Concentrates often produce a less definable smell that lingers less than smoke and dissipates more quickly. For apartment tokers, parents, or simply those who choose not to advertise their choices, concentrates are an excellent choice.

Now there are many types of concentrates and I wouldn’t even be qualified to try to explain them all. My first recommendation is to go to your local dispensary and learn about what they carry. A good Budtender is knowledgeable and an excellent guide, while keeping it simple and accessible for all. When choosing your concentrate the best advice I can give is follow your nose. What smells best to you is often a great choice. Start low, go slow, and enjoy!

Much love!

TanksForAllTheFish

“Weed today is stronger than the weed when I grew up!”

I don't smoke weed (okay, a few, here and there - but they required "a bit" of lab-processing, and this isn't the venue for such discussions). But if you meant to type "cannabis," well... 35 years ago I was getting higher, on average, than I am today.

Sure, there were people trying to grow good sativa in areas where it got cold and started snowing well before the buds were ready to harvest, so the grower ended up with sh!t - but the same thing happens today, here and there.

I guess that more people know... where babies come from ( ;) ) these days, so there is probably more sinsemilla in the market today, on average. OtOH, there seems to be more unstable genetics in the market currently - which can mean more expressions of hermaphrodism and, thus, seeds. IDK, flip a coin on that one.

But, since this isn't a "cannabis" thing but, instead, basic plant knowledge... at least a percentage of growers have known for a LONG time (IOW, centuries at minimum) what causes seeds in plants which (generally) have their male and female flowers on separate plants.

MexiBrick has always seemed to have seeds in it, at least that which makes it up to my neck of the woods. Ironically, though, the quality of that has fallen. Not that such was ever the bar to aim for, lol - but the odds of getting something decent when one bought a lid of the stuff in order to get the seeds (the 1% that were still viable and hadn't been crushed) appear to be significantly lower today than in days gone by.

Seem to be more visible trichomes on bud today (again, on average). But that doesn't necessarily equate to stronger bud - and can probably be explained by pollen chuckers crossing every decent strain they can get their hands on with indica. I can't really blame the breeders for this, though; it's just the WalMart Mentality at work. It's okay to sell a sh!ttier product, as long as that's what your customers will pay for.

Maybe "the average" cannabis is of higher quality today, IDK. Probably so, since every halfwit kid with a cell phone can (if he/she so chooses, of course) access virtual tons worth of knowledge via the Internet, whereas 25+ years ago (some) people actually considered High Times magazines to be... IDK, the gold standard for cannabis information or something.

But there has always (by "always," I mean for many, many years) been great cannabis. Same with other crops. It's not like automobiles or other machines/devices that depend on a certain level of technological knowledge... People have been farming for 12,000+ years.

The passing of time doesn't automatically make a thing better. The meals my maternal grandmother cooked, although relatively simple and with cheap ingredients (she had 13 kids and didn't own a gold mine) would probably leave people who routinely drop $50 per plate at a fancy restaurant today wondering if $100 was enough for such fine food, lol. Okay, possibly not the groundhog (etc.) that they had to eat to survive much of the time. But, in general, yes. Half the cooks today might be afraid to buy their cooking oil and such in large containers out of fear that, next month, it won't be on the "healthy" list any more. Grandma cooked with lard :rofl: . (How do you get the best fried chicken dinner in the universe, complete with the flakiest-crust apple pie? Well, first you build a time machine... )

I'm just jabbering, lol. Much of the above is opinion and, therefore, debatable I'm sure. The following is not:

I’ve never been a fan of the taste of rolling papers, or butane from your lighter.

That'd be the taste of nothing, lol. Unless you're sucking in the unburned butane vapors as they boil off - but most folks light the stuff :rolleyes: . Or (I suppose) you happen to be trying to smoke in a very low-oxygen environment, in which case you might taste something (from the incomplete combustion process) in the seconds before you pass out from oxygen deprivation. Otherwise, what you are "tasting"...

...carbon dioxide and water vapor (both of which are tasteless).

Hey Fam!

Love your input! First of all I wasn't calling it a weed, hence the quotes. As for your take on the quality you are the first person I've personally met who preferred the cannabis they smoked in the 70's and 80's. I agree no matter how much technology or information we use nature is a beast and probably grew the worlds greatest strains before we (humans) developed the wheel! Haha

As per your butane comment, you're righy I need to clairify (the post is designed for beginners and the chemistry of combustion of hydrocarbons isn't most peoples favourite topic). The taste of the butane from the lighter is the taste of incomplete combustion! Our butane torches used for dabbing burn blue because it's burning more completely. The orange flame of a bic is due to limited oxygen and temperature that doesn't allow for complete combustion. Those products do have a taste, yes it is not the butane, but you don't need to be hypoxic for incomplete combustion!

Love your input and appreciate you keeping me honest!

Much love!
TanksForAllTheFish

Back
Top Bottom