Best time to change out reservoir? (At lights on, or at lights off?)

Bolivar

I changed mine for the first time last night, at the beginning of the lights-on period (I'm doing 12/12 now), and the plants look droopy still. Would they have less stress problems if I did the changeout at the beginning of the lights-off period, or does it even matter?

I should add that I'm using a RainForest 18, and have to lift off the top platform containing the plants and set it aside while I change out the reservoir, so the roots do get some movement and hassle (they're pretty intertwined in a big toroid around the center rootguard).

i prefer to do it right before the lights come on.

it may be a good idea to do it when the lights are going off because if they droop for a while they wont do well in the light. let them recover in the dark and they will be ready in the morning for light.

i prefer to do it right before the lights come on.

it may be a good idea to do it when the lights are going off because if they droop for a while they wont do well in the light. let them recover in the dark and they will be ready in the morning for light.

Thanks for the feedback. That was my thought after seeing them stay that way overnight. Probably should have given them some dark time to adjust and recuperate.

I swap mine every 4-5 days and the plants don't seem to have an issue of when I do, which is always with the lights on.. Considering I run aeroponic with a 1 minute on, 5 minute off cycle on flowering systems, I don't think the plants really give a shit when the reservoir swap occurs because they're being watered/feed continuously anyway. If you feel strongly about them settling in to a fresh reservoir, try swapping just before the lights go out.

Peace,

Farmer Rich

I just read that I shouldn't have gone to 12/12 before preflowers showed. Cervantes said that stresses the plants. So I was a week early. Live and learn.
I'm thinking that the early light change, plus the res change and different nute ratios was too much stress at the same time. They're looking fine now, though.

Thanks for the help all.

I just read that I shouldn't have gone to 12/12 before preflowers showed. Cervantes said that stresses the plants. So I was a week early. Live and learn.
I'm thinking that the early light change, plus the res change and different nute ratios was too much stress at the same time. They're looking fine now, though.

Thanks for the help all.

You wont have any problems blooming them that early. some people go 12/12 from seed. Cervantes is the MAN and there is no disputing that but you cant take everything you read as gospel.

You wont have any problems blooming them that early. some people go 12/12 from seed. Cervantes is the MAN and there is no disputing that but you cant take everything you read as gospel.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm still waiting for the actual flowers to appear, meanwhile the plants are growing like they came from magic beans...:straightface:

Does swapping out your res increase a chance of shock? Also, what is the benefit of swapping it out? Im just here to learn :)

no if anything it will prevent shock, just think of it as "RESETTING" your roots, or when you have to shut down your computer to do updates, that what "CHANGING YOUR RES" does., as pit says it doesnt matter what time of cycle, just as long as you do it, the roots need to be reset so that they can uptake the nutes to their fullest potential....
I also take a spray bottle when I am changing my res, I will run the res for a whole day, lift the buckets...and spray a mixture, of water with CLEAREX>> I spray the actual roots with this, and they freakin love it!
Also if your plants are in shock, changing the res is the first thing you do!

Changing the res will increase your plants ability to re-uptake nutes, they will yield more and be healthier...

Thanks for the help all.

in flowering plants need that stress to induce ripening. you can go into 12/12 from a clone, and still yield a qtr.

in flowering plants need that stress to induce ripening. you can go into 12/12 from a clone, and still yield a qtr.

Thanks. It turned out to be more of a speedbump than a crisis, because the plants just took it in stride and continued to flourish. It's my first experience growing, so everything that happens is new and semi-strange to me...;)

no if anything it will prevent shock, just think of it as "RESETTING" your roots, or when you have to shut down your computer to do updates, that what "CHANGING YOUR RES" does., as pit says it doesnt matter what time of cycle, just as long as you do it, the roots need to be reset so that they can uptake the nutes to their fullest potential....
I also take a spray bottle when I am changing my res, I will run the res for a whole day, lift the buckets...and spray a mixture, of water with CLEAREX>> I spray the actual roots with this, and they freakin love it!
Also if your plants are in shock, changing the res is the first thing you do!

Changing the res will increase your plants ability to re-uptake nutes, they will yield more and be healthier...

How much Clearex per gal of water to spray roots??

THANKS

How much Clearex per gal of water to spray roots??

THANKS

I use about 5 ml in a 1qt spray bottle. , i lift my bucket (waterfarms) out and expose the black, nutrient covered roots and spray it off, till they seem somewhat clean, before that I run clearex thru the whole system for at least a day, this resets the roots completely. I get excellent results, you could say I have created monsters.

PS. be careful as some spray bottels are powerful and can cut the roots, so spray with care. usually on the middle dial setting on a spray bottle.

Thanks for the help all.

I just did the same thing, I was trying to make them shorter and now they are not growing at the pace they usually do.

Back
Top Bottom