Best tool to cut holes in lids?

geeklife

hello everyone. i'm interested in building my own Deep Water Culture system at some point. looks easy enough for the most part. but for someone who is not the least bit handy, such as myself, what's the easiest/fastest way to cut the holes in lids of tote and bucket lids? is there a good automated tool someone can recommend? something a lazy stoner with poor motor skills could operate and still achieve desirable results? if there's such a tool out there, please clue me in and post a link to where i can buy it

:thanks:

hi bud do u have a regular rotary drill, cheap cordless or summit? if so wat i do is use a 10mm or whatever bit u gt and drill a series of holes around the circumference, then knife in between the holes, works well and gives a little grip to th eside of pots , holds em firm... hope u win :) i was always worried bout splittin lids till i did a few:thumb:

if its soft plastic a box cutter, its the the formed hard plastick a drill for a starter hole and a jig saw works wonders.

I am sure I am not the only one who has noticed that with most hole saws and the net pot sizing, well they tend to fall thru if messed with sometimes. A 3" hole saw and a 3" net pot do NOT really work that great. Anyhow....

I hand cut mine, better fit that way.

Hanshisan
:420:

2009_Grow_0054.jpg

Here I am using a DREMEL power hand tool, to cut the holes. You could use a razor knife or a heated knife blade or a hole cutter from the hardware store.

Remember you can always go back and cut it larger. But you can't go back and make it smaller.

Good Luck.

well id recomend a hole saw as well , just have to find the right size. and las was already said if it is thin plastic use a razor knife. just be careful not to slice your hand wide open. i work in construction and cant tell you how many razor knife accidents ive seen. almost cut the tip of my finger off about 2 months ago doing sheetrock. but yeah anyway id go with a hole saw for its ease of use

Hey Geeklife,

If you want to do it the lazy way use a holesaw cutter. Its the tool they use to make holes for doorknobs and such. this is the easiest and laziest way to make these holes. The drawback is the holesaw drill bit can get pricey. If you are just making 1 or 2 bubblers then it migth not be worht the investment.

I use a "normal" drill bit 2 or 3 holes then cut the rest out with a jig saw. Its cheap and its quick. The jigsaw cuts really fast so you have to be comfortable and go slow.

Roseman is correct in the way of sizes. Cut a little small and "shave" to reach desirable size. If you cut a little too big then that is asking for all kinds of problems in the future.

Good luck with your bubblers!

CGs

Hey Geeklife,

If you want to do it the lazy way use a holesaw cutter. Its the tool they use to make holes for doorknobs and such. this is the easiest and laziest way to make these holes. The drawback is the holesaw drill bit can get pricey. If you are just making 1 or 2 bubblers then it migth not be worht the investment.

I use a "normal" drill bit 2 or 3 holes then cut the rest out with a jig saw. Its cheap and its quick. The jigsaw cuts really fast so you have to be comfortable and go slow.

Roseman is correct in the way of sizes. Cut a little small and "shave" to reach desirable size. If you cut a little too big then that is asking for all kinds of problems in the future.

Good luck with your bubblers!

CGs

Yep, you can always make a hole bigger, but tis hard to make one smaller!

I messed up the first time using a reg saw thingy. I bought a hole saw kit for around 20 bucks on ebay. It has many sizes. I doubt it can cut wood but it sure can cut plastic. Since it had many sizes it was easy to find the right one. There is zero chance of my net pots falling through. When I used that reg saw thingy we slipped and the lid was useless.

Never tried it, but remember reading that someone took a metal veggie can the size of the hole needed, heated it up on the stove, and then pushed it down on the lid and it made a hole.

Back
Top Bottom