Bill Maher: 'I'm A Potty-Mouthed, Pot-Smoking Atheist'

Truth Seeker

"I know I'm a potty-mouthed, pot-smoking atheist," Bill Maher quipped on Friday's "Real Time" season finale while interviewing President Obama's senior campaign advisor, David Axelrod. Maher pressed Axelrod on the idea that some politicians, even those whom agree with his positions hesitate to participate as guests on his show.

"Real Time," HBO's Friday night, allows Bill Maher to share his satire, his comedy, his political and (mostly) scathing social commentary with the world. Each week, Maher opens the show with a comedic monologue, followed by a one-on-one interview. Maher then joins a panel of three guests where the opposing perspectives of the panelists nearly guarantee lively and intense discussion, which Maher not only leads, but participates. A fourth panelist joins the group, usually to promote a new book, for a quick interview session conducted by Maher followed by a bit more panel discussion with the new guest. The show concludes with a video montage of Bill Maher's signature "New Rules" that typically consist of a one line satirical observation about a current sociopolitical or pop culture topic.

It's not difficult to understand why some guests hesitate to appear on "Real Time." First, the show is live and uncensored, which leaves no room for gaffes. Second, nearly every show is filled with big names, the heaviest hitters in the world of political pundits, strategists, journalists, authors, etc. A guest may find themselves not just up against Maher himself, but alongside the likes of Eliot Spitzer, Michael Moore, or Rachel Maddow. The questions are tough, the subject matter is intense and the time restraints require brevity. That's a tall order for even the most practiced politician.

Bill Maher is potty-mouthed. He hints to his love for marijuana often and his 2008 movie "Religulous" was two hours of religious exploration starring Maher's skepticism. He's no stranger to controversy and any consistent viewer of Real Time is likely to attest that Maher is likely to say anything at any time. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who is going to handle a politician with kid gloves, even, especially, if they're in the middle of a campaign. And that's exactly why so many people tune in each week.

Bill_Maher2.jpg

News Hawk- TruthSeekr420 420 MAGAZINE
Source: examiner.com
Author: Jenn Powlison
Contact: About Examiner.com Passionate, local writers | Examiner.com
Website: Bill Maher: 'I'm a potty-mouthed, pot-smoking atheist' - National bill maher | Examiner.com

Back
Top Bottom