Board Game About Growing Marijuana Weeded Out of Toy Fair

Hash

A Monopoly-style board game in which players run an imperiled marijuana growing operation has been uprooted from the New York Toy Fair, the Calgary Sun reports.

The Grow-Op Game, manufactured by Bored Games Corp. of Vancouver, British Columbia, was pulled because Toy Industry Association officials decided it violates the values the group seeks to portray and its mandate to support positive development of children.

"It really did surprise me," Bored Games spokesman Ivan Solomon said. "There's a lot of other games out there touting everything from guns to war and violence. We see this game as a sort of education: If you're thinking about starting a grow operation, it's not going to be easy."

While trying to grow B.C. Bud, a potent form of marijuana cultivated mainly indoors in British Columbia, players may be ratted out by neighbors, electricity cut off and the harvest endangered by flood, fire, fungus, bugs and ceiling collapse, not to mention police raids.

Grow-Op, the brainchild of a young, 20-something reformed grower known only as Rabbit to conceal his identity, began selling online and at a small number of stores in Canada late last year for $39.95 Canadian, about $32.40 U.S.

He came up with the idea of demonstrating the pitfalls of the business while serving time in jail, Solomon said.

Royal Canadian Mounted Police have not been amused. Cpl. Scott Rintoul of the Mounties' Drug Awareness Squad, has said Grow-Op fails to show the potential damage to organized crime victims.

"It's not a game," Rintoul said.

Source: Seattle Post-Intelligencer
Copyright: 1996-2005 Seattle Post-Intelligencer

there is another version of this game made in the 70's i have been looking to get my hands on for about 6 years if anyone has one the would like to sell email me.

found it on google. im so gonna get this for my birthday next month. if not ill get it earlier and get my money back from presents. haha man this is cool. i own at monopoly so i hope i will successfully become a weed dealer(in the game)! good looking out guys.

I've been posting so I don't have to be a "newbie" any more. Glad I'm not an "asshole". Could it be the mustache? LOL.

The grow op game is available at Smoke Sessions Depot under Games

It's just like monopoly but you get to grow pot... !!

Awesome game! Great fun.. for everyone!

there is another version of this game made in the 70's i have been looking to get my hands on for about 6 years if anyone has one the would like to sell email me.

There were a couple of great stoner board games from "back in the day". One of them is Feds n Heads. It was a pull-out game from the September 1971 issue of Playboy magazine. It's a Monopoly style game where the object is to score "lids" (ounces of grass) and make it home safely with a kilo. The game was done by Gilbert Shelton; artist of The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers. This is really a great stoners game. I highly recommend it. I still play this game today. The Playboy magazine is available on eBay for about $5 - $10.

The other popular game from "the love generation" is Dealer McDope. Here's a description from the rules:

"Leave Doobietown, U.S.A. and journey to an intriguing port of call, score caches of dope and return home anxious to sell. Sounds simple and it is - as long as karma, skill and the roll of the dice are on your side and you don't get hassled at any borders, ripped off by your partners or busted. Yeh, busted. Lots of dealers go to jail. In fact, there are 500 "busted gringos" sitting in Mexican jails right now.
Yes, dealing is a high risk / high gain situation. Remember all dealers play hard, but they don't all play fair. When in doubt ask yourself what McDope would do if he were there."

Game on, bro. Peace n Love.

Back
Top Bottom