Bonsai Growing Question

BTzGrow

I'm very interested in the tech and process of keeping a small collection of fave plants for future grows instead of buying new seeds.

I have been working on/studying the tutorial classic “How to Keep a Bonsai Mum” article written by the legendary Oldtimer1. The tutorial seems very complete and yet I can't seem to lock down my question regarding lighting. Both what type and light scheduling.

I done some searching here and haven't quite come up with all the answers I feel I need. Actually, I haven't found or have totally missed any mention on the subject of lighting. I will start with a single simple question and concentrate on one question at a time.

First question: What type and how much light do I need. I have been considering one or two single bulb 2foot T5 fixtures. I typically use a very blue 6200K T5 bulb for my initial start in a grow. (3-4 weeks after seed sprouting) I find it produces the tightest nodes.

I have a clone/seedling box I created about a year ago and started with a double bulb T5 fixture and found it was too warm/hot inside the tote. So I typically remove a bulb and run a single bulb. I do have a DIY thread on my build if anyone's interest in what I built. I'm considering using this Tote I made as a housing for Bonsai Mum's as well as temporaly sharing the space with new Clone Cuttings/Seeds starts.

Hey there!

I read the "mum" thread a few months ago, and another member reminded me of it again last night. Was worth a re-read. I think there are actually two quick mentions of lights in the write-up.

This bonsai mother, if well fed, produce 10 to 30 good cuttings every 14 days under an HID or every 20 days under fluorescent shop light. This means a 4 ft x 2 ft shoplight with 18 Mums, could produce an output of over 9500 cuttings a year.

Clone, Mum and Dad box.
Its a double deck with 2 times 4ft x 2 ft lights each with 4 x 40w coolwhite fl lights Close up of tray top left 270 rooted cuttings, in plugs ready to go into pots. Close up of top tray right 100 cuttings at the start of rooting.

What I didn't see mentioned, unless I missed it, was hours of light. I'm guessing 18/6?

Hope this helps.

First I think you are correct on the 18/6 schedule. Second, I’m going in from a much smaller perspective and demand.

I’m basically looking for a way to keep specific strains for future grows.

I like your input about the 4’ shoplight as that confirms my thoughts regarding using a T5 grow light. That seems reasonable and economical. I have excellent experience with the T5 for early lower intensity light requirements.

First I think you are correct on the 18/6 schedule. Second, I’m going in from a much smaller perspective and demand.

I’m basically looking for a way to keep specific strains for future grows.

I like your input about the 4’ shoplight as that confirms my thoughts regarding using a T5 grow light. That seems reasonable and economical. I have excellent experience with the T5 for early lower intensity light requirements.

Just in case it wasn't clear, the stuff that I put in bold italics in my original post came from the Bonsai Mum thread - just cut and pasted from that guide. Sorry if I created any confusion, but good luck with your project! I hope to try keeping a bonsai mom one day too.

I knew that but thanks for perhaps clarifying for others.

I have found a way to open up some space in my garage and I have wanted to try the Bonsai Mum idea. I recently finished a purchase of 10 seeds and loved every one of them. But they are gone. This could be a way to have a collect of the plants I really enjoy. A plant bank sort of. I could actually cut back on my seed purchases and buy a couple or three of what I want and if it's great make a Mother of it.

Will see, lots of experimenting and logistics have to be put into place. As I progress I create a special journal for my Bonsai efforts.

Back
Top Bottom