Brown spots and yellowing?

TxState

Ok so I looked in the sticky above in this thread about all the different kinds of ill plants and all but I didn't see one for random brown spots with yellowing on the leafs.

This plant is 10 days old. Watered it only twice, first time was with 1/2 strength sea tea and 2nd time was with 1/4 sea tea, no nutes used at all. I don't think it is nute burn cause sea tea is not that strong (organic), only used 1/4 - 1/2 strength, I mean even Smokin Moose says he uses it from day one!!?? Do you think that could have done this or just no nutes or what??? The first 7 days they looked really healthy until the past two days one of them got brown spots and all of them are start to yellowing of the leafs starting at the ends of the leaf (starting distal from the stem).

Here is a pic of the worst one with brown spots. My camera sucks so the quality isn't that good but you can still see the brown spots...

sickone.jpg

sicktwo.jpg

Please help me out! I need to know what this plant needs!!

Re: Brown spots and yellowing!!??

Your plant needs two things. First is to adjust your watering. I think your medium is too wet. Always use a wet/dry cycle. Second is that the plant is hungry, and a 1/2 strength dose of fish for N will help it along. Main thing though seems to be your medium is too wet. Can you re-pot to a larger container?

It looks so wet because right before I took this pic I had watered it for the 2nd time. Believe me I have waited until the soil was completly dry. I know 99% that this was not caused by over watering... like I said I made sure the soil was completly dry (a few inches to the bottom).

The plant is only 10 days old, I thought you weren't suppose to feed them nutes until they were like 2 weeks old...?? Im of course a noob, but it would be my guess that this problem has to do with ph?? help please.

You mentioned you were using distilled water. This won't be the cause as distilled water has a neutral ph. What light is it receiving?

Im using a 4 foot fluorescent, one cool bulb and one warm, 4 inches away from plants, 24 hour lighting. The reason I think it is ph because a friend of mine had tested his distilled water before and it read 5.8-5.9 always... but of course what do I know, thats why im asking you guys for the help :smokin:

Pure water has pH 7, so still, freshly distilled water should have a pH of 7.0. However, interaction with the atmosphere allows carbon dioxide to dissolve into it, forming carbonic acid. As a result, agitating the water or allowing it to sit for a while will leave you with an aqueous solution that drifts down in pH.
I think perhaps a dose of N as I suggested and getting the seedling as close to the light as you can will help, but I still doubt it is the water causing your issues. Hope that helps

Pure water has pH 7, so still, freshly distilled water should have a pH of 7.0. However, interaction with the atmosphere allows carbon dioxide to dissolve into it, forming carbonic acid. As a result, agitating the water or allowing it to sit for a while will leave you with an aqueous solution that drifts down in pH.
I think perhaps a dose of N as I suggested and getting the seedling as close to the light as you can will help, but I still doubt it is the water causing your issues. Hope that helps

:adore: ok I will take your word for it... My fox farms grow big should be coming in the mail soon (tomorrow maybe), so you think if I give the plants 1/4 (??) strength of that asap it will save/heal these plants?

I just checked my plants and they are dying very quickly!! The brown spots got a lot bigger and the plant is almost fully yellow! :bitingnails:

At this rate the one in the pics will be dead for sure in like two days! Im very sad that my babies are dying and I don't know what to do!! :(

Your need to prepare before you start growing. You have no nutrients or meters which keeps you from having any idea of what your water is PHing and even keeps you from feeding your plants. That potting soil looks like crap. Big chunks of wood and no visible signs of perlite.
I personally think your soil PH is way off due to the type of soil it is. Wood chips and pine needles can effect PH big time. I think you have a PH lock out.

I have like at least 5 different people telling me different things (on other forums as well) and I don't know who is right. You really think it's the soil? I have seen a few people that have grown succesfully with this exact soil either on here or an other MJ forum.. here is a little about the soil:

"Contains a blend of all-natural, organic ingredients: sphagnum peat moss and composted bark fines
Natural fertilizers provide both quick- and slow-release feeding to get plants off to a fast start—and keep them growing
Delivers twice the growth of ordinary potting soil… naturally."

This is my first grow and a learning experence, which is exactly what im getting. I appreaciate any HELP.

This is my first post as I am still a noob but I have been trolling these and other forums for a long time before I ever registered to post.

I think racefan is right. Success is 99% preparation and 1% perspiration. If you don't have the equipment to know if it is your water, or your soil, or you have no nutes.

Good luck though :smokin:

Search interveinal chlorosis, You will get a good Idea on deficiencys and the diffrences that you will see from each... Many charts are shown just google and check it out should definetly help you figure out your issue!!!

Good Luck GL1

Smokin Moose, I believe you were right! As a last resort I fed my plants some miracle grow plant food for house plants that I had laying around. The plants seem to have stopped dying and I even see some new growth! My FF grow big will be arriving on monday and I plan on feeding them some on tuesday, so I can't wait to see how they react to getting some FF. I'll let ya'll know how they take to getting the grow big.

Thanks Smokin Moose, and thanks for the good luck from everyone :ganjamon:

The FF should do you good, but wait a while to add it. The plant is still very young and you have just fed it Miracle Grow.

Your soil could use more perlite in the mix. This will help with proper drainage. Soil with huge chunks of wood in it is more suited as outdoor top-soil rather then a soil mix for potted plants. Look for some Pro-mix next time to transplant into when the plant is older.

As you stated this is an experiment of sorts so don't expect to do everything right the first time. :peace:

Back
Top Bottom