Bud tips browning prematurely

Ups

Hey there 420 community,

We’ll get right to it:

Just flipped to 12/12 and still within the first week or 2 but the tips of my buds are already starting to brown.

RH has been high on average (70% - 75%) and sometimes reaching 85% for short periods of time. I’ve got a dehumidifier as of today so we’ll be more in the 55% - 60% range from now on.

Temp hasn’t risen above 27C and is probably around 26C on average.

I just noticed that my Mars Hydro 600 grow light leaves a long dull residual light in the LEDs for a long amount of time so I started taking the lamp out of the room for better dark periods.

Just recently had to do some pest control as well, but I’ll maybe post that in another thread. I just spent time going through all the leaves and stems in a search and destroy mission before spraying them all with a very light mixture of soap, oil and alcohol.

Please someone just tell me it’s not fungus or something in my substrate that’s affecting my roots!

Photos to help understand the situation, hopefully they help. A little over exposed but it just seems premature to me for the tips to be browning.

Thanks for any insight!

Peace and herb

FBFAC014-789F-4FD4-8B68-E9E25BCE6835.jpeg

Is it the leaf tips (I don't see any browning) or the pistils you're talkng about? What I see is pretty normal. Maybe the light is just a little too close and browning the pistils, but then it could also be the stuf you sprayed, alcohol tends to melt trichromes and brown the pistils. You need to get your RH way down or you're going bud rot problems.

Sounds like your light is on it's last legs, it should not do that!

Hey @Phytoplankton

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah I could have been a little more specific, it’s the pistoles that are turning brown.
I’ve hiked up the light as high as possible now but the bud sites are still around 25-30cm from the light…
It’s not an old light either! Must have just been poor quality unfortunately. I got it from a third party seller. I’ll have to invest more on a better light down the line. But for now I’ll just have to remove it during dark periods right? Even residual light like that will mess up the flower cycle, is that right? It’s not like it’s a strong light, and the plants aren’t showing any signs of reveging and since I’ve changed the light to 12/12 they’ve been happy into flower.. but I guess it’s better to be safe.
RH is much better now with the dehumidifier, we’re at 50% now. I’ll try and keep it there.
It makes sense that it could be the treatment with the alcohol. I’ve been advised to do it again in one week, but I’ll just keep a close eye and if the bugs don’t come back then I’ll hold off.
Here’s a photo of the setup. I misjudged the veg period and definitely went too big for one of them. I’m just learning as I go.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I just noticed that my Mars Hydro 600 grow light leaves a long dull residual light in the LEDs for a long amount of time so I started taking the lamp out of the room for better dark periods.
Kinda scares me to be removing the light at the end of the day and putting it back the next morning. Always the chance of it slipping and falling on the plant.

Residual light in the LEDs for how long? Just a minute or two or 15 minutes or longer? Is it possible that one of those electronic parts inside is taking a while to discharge which means the LEDs glow for awhile but they should be discharged within several seconds I would think.

I have seen fluorescent bulbs with a dull glow for a minute or so after they were turned off, but only about a minute and it was only noticable if looking for it and the rest of the room had no lights on at all.

You could still do a little LST, and bend down the tallest plants. Residual light can mess up your plants cycle if it is strong enough and long enough. A few minutes, no problem, an hour, not so good! It probably won't cause it to re-veg, but it could contribute to the plant going hermie. BTW, your plants look great!

Hey UPS! I don’t see anything that jumps out as looking like a problem - as a matter of fact, they look delicious! Probably browned the pistils from the alcohol/spray, but otherwise look great. Phyto is right - I would def try to do a lil LST action to control that taller plant and make sure you chase down that light. It will cause probs eventually if its leaking into your grow….

Happy 4:20 everyone!

Thanks for all your answers and support!

The residual light lasts way too long. Something is definitely up with the light, not sure why, could be what @SmokingWings said but I don’t see any solution other than buying a new lamp.
Two of the pots were make-shift from and old cotton bag and some leftover tissue that I sewed into a bag. Then a newer airbag that I bought which is 25L. The small one is probably 5L and the bigger one around 10-15L.
I’ll be taking out the light every night to avoid going hermie and I’ve moved the taller girl out of the grow room onto the floor to distance her from the light. Hopefully I can manage till harvest but I’ll keep adapting if I have to. Just hanging in there!
By the way, just wanted to show you all the pests I’ve been having issues with because I looked again and found a couple more. It seems the treatment wasn’t 100% effective. Maybe I’ll post in the pest section if the problem becomes grave.

309A1701-9F62-4124-97F2-E3B6A85D9863.jpeg

08EC44A1-53F8-416B-B6C3-E6746B0334D6.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom