Budworms anyone?

Has anyone ever dealt with a massive white grub infestation? These things drill into the stems, hallow them out, and travel through them. These were a smaller version of the larger white grubs that are commonly found in soil. Except that they were traveling through all the colas, it seemed like they were laying eggs as well, because I found tons of different egg clusters.

I started to notice the infestation because parts of the smaller leaves that were growing out of the bud started to die. That is because the grub drilled and cut off nutrients to that part of the plant. I was forced to selective harvest.

Let me know about your budworms, and what would be the best possible organic pesticide I should use?
I was thinking systemic ( SNS-209 ). Any opinions? I hope this budworm infestation type of thing doesn't occur often.

I get them every year outdoors. Monterey B.T its O.M.R.I listed safe. I my self have just picked through the buds and search for them and picked them out by hand. I dont grow many plants outdoors so its not that bad how ever if they have made a nest and laid eggs and hatched wow! I would get the monterey bt and give them a heavy spray down late or early.
just make sure their dry before the sun gets on them. If you have problems with powdery mildew then you might just better pull them in the shade if possible and spray them when you know they will dry by night fall! :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom