Build Your Own LED Grow Light

I ended up going with 2x 185H-C1400B ( 74watts each COB max ) 296 all

The COBs are 35V/1280mA. The HLG-185H-C1400B delivers constant current with an output of 71-143V. Your design of 2 COBs per driver won't work. It will probably blow the COBs due to too high a voltage. Use one HLG-240H-C1400B to drive all four COBs in series. It is rated at 250W, and 89-179V. You can then drive the COBs up to 47.6 watts each.

If you must go to 290W, use one HLG-320H-C2100B. It's good from 76-152V. At 35V /2100mA it works out to 73.5W each or 294 watts total. (COBs drop 35V each so 4 X 35V X 2.1A = 140V / 294 watts) Make certain you get appropriately sized heat sinks.

Great. Drop money on a handful of 1212's and now all of a sudden they are shit, knew I shoulda went with the 1818's...lmao

Huh? There's nothing wrong with a 1212. They are rated at 34.6V/1080mA or 37W. They can be driven up to 37.5V/2750mA for 103.5W. You'll get more heat driving them that hard. They have good efficiacy at about 150lm/w. I recommend driving them at no more than 60W which is about 1714 mA @ 35 V each. You can drive four in series at that output with one HLG-240H-C1750B.

I'm looking at the 1216s rated at 49W/1440mA using the same driver. These have four more sets of LEDs in parallel, so each LED won't be driven as hard. The 18xxs require 51.1V, and will need a different driver configuration.

I bought a 185H-C1400B planning to run 4 on it. I have 4 more chips I was going to do the same with.
Huh? There's nothing wrong with a 1212. They are rated at 34.6V/1080mA or 37W. They can be driven up to 37.5V/2750mA for 103.5W. You'll get more heat driving them that hard. They have good efficiacy at about 150lm/w. I recommend driving them at no more than 60W which is about 1714 mA @ 35 V each. You can drive four in series at that output with one HLG-240H-C1750B.

I'm looking at the 1216s rated at 49W/1440mA using the same driver. These have four more sets of LEDs in parallel, so each LED won't be driven as hard. The 18xxs require 51.1V, and will need a different driver configuration.

The COBs are 35V/1280mA. The HLG-185H-C1400B delivers constant current with an output of 71-143V. Your design of 2 COBs per driver won't work. It will probably blow the COBs due to too high a voltage. Use one HLG-240H-C1400B to drive all four COBs in series. It is rated at 250W, and 89-179V. You can then drive the COBs up to 47.6 watts each.

If you must go to 290W, use one HLG-320H-C2100B. It's good from 76-152V. At 35V /2100mA it works out to 73.5W each or 294 watts total. (COBs drop 35V each so 4 X 35V X 2.1A = 140V / 294 watts) Make certain you get appropriately sized heat sinks.

Yeah, you evidently didnt read any of the other last posts, because AGAIN, these are 54Volts and not the 35 like you said for the 3rd time, lol.

So, yes, 2 per driver will work just fine, but thanks,

I bought a 185H-C1400B planning to run 4 on it. I have 4 more chips I was going to do the same with.

You should be able to go to about 49 Watts/COB with that setup. That's roughly 7000-7500lm / COB. By using a black body simulation, I estimate you should get well over 1000 μmol/s*m^2 15cm (6") directly under the light.

Just a heads up for any interested. I think qb120s and qb132s are back in stock this week.... great diode spread and no heatsink required.

I'll post some build pics when and if I'm able to get some more.

Hope everyone's having a great weekend

I want to do this, but I have no idea where to start looking to do a home cobb. I just don't want to sift through new versus old information. Plus......I just spent a fortune on my NEW grow setup.

Maybe in the future.

:smokin:

I want to do this, but I have no idea where to start looking to do a home cobb.... I just spent a fortune on my NEW grow setup

I share your pain. I've got to wait for my tax refund before I can order. An eight CLU048-1216 COB array kit runs $466.40 USD including shipping from China. Add in customs/duty, frame materials, and misc parts, and I should probably count on $550 to put one together. Then, I can start thinking of some of those nice add-ins like graduated sunrise/sunset, remote control, and whatever else I can dream up. This is for just a 2' X 4' tent.

This is proving to be far more expensive than I had hoped for. The benefits are that light in the tent will be more even, more intense, and easy to modify. Of course I'll also need to fork out $200 for a light sensor so that I can prove my design.

I share your pain. I've got to wait for my tax refund before I can order. An eight CLU048-1216 COB array kit runs $466.40 USD including shipping from China. Add in customs/duty, frame materials, and misc parts, and I should probably count on $550 to put one together. Then, I can start thinking of some of those nice add-ins like graduated sunrise/sunset, remote control, and whatever else I can dream up. This is for just a 2' X 4' tent.

This is proving to be far more expensive than I had hoped for. The benefits are that light in the tent will be more even, more intense, and easy to modify. Of course I'll also need to fork out $200 for a light sensor so that I can prove my design.

Yo Salt, you look into the Zigbee controller? Pacificlightconcepts.co -- $65 to get sunrise/sunset timing. You can set the timers to rampup as much as you want, as oftern as you want.. Pretty cool..

I was going to do that, but decided to just forget the sunrise/sunset, and just add a sonoff timer, and control the dimming manually, .. If im not able to dim, atleast it will still go off and on. Saved like $40 just going the sonoff route.

Since im running a 4 cob set-up, 2pc 4000K and 2pc 3500K, im just going to have the 3500K come on for 1 hour, then have the 4000K come on having them both on thru the day, then turn off 4000K last hour, and just run the 3500K, then having my GrowMau5 Nighttime puck turn on for 5 minutes before all light out, and run for 15 minutes after lights out.

Im using a 4-Chan Pro for the lights, and a single sonoff for the Puck. and another sonoff for all my fans(6)

should have all my part Tuesday for this build, cant wait.

Ok, so how much would a 4 cob light be? ( I know there are many variables, so just what you would buy).

I only have 27 x 27 x 63. I may go bigger but I know I will never go beyond a 48 x 48 x 80 (I don't have the room.)

I'm just trying to not buy anything more at this point. :laugh:

I'm appreciative of those who research and share this information. It's a lot of work. :adore:

Man, I JUST cut up my 27x27 tent, goodriddence. I cleaned up and painted a closet. humidity was horrible in tent, especially with a 10gallonfab pot. Then with the proper exhaust, it was just going to be to much in the tent. now i have about 40inchWx80inL

Man, I JUST cut up my 27x27 tent, goodriddence. I cleaned up and painted a closet. humidity was horrible in tent, especially with a 10gallonfab pot. Then with the proper exhaust, it was just going to be to much in the tent. now i have about 40inchWx80inL

I'm planning mostly compact autos, and will only grow one or two plants at a time. I've already figured out the ventilation. Only the filter will be inside. I know I will eventually upgrade, but I'm very limited on space for growing.

Ok, so how much would a 4 cob light be? ( I know there are many variables, so just what you would buy).

I only have 27 x 27 x 63. I may go bigger but I know I will never go beyond a 48 x 48 x 80 (I don't have the room.)

I'm just trying to not buy anything more at this point. :laugh:

I'm appreciative of those who research and share this information. It's a lot of work. :adore:

Shipping from China was $100, so I'd count on $180 plus shipping. For that size you'd almost be better off sourcing the parts locally.

Did you consider putting the filter and fan outside of the grow space? A ventilation grille, and flexible pipe completes the setup. My 2' X 4' X 5' tent is too vertically challenged to grow with everything in it.

That isn't bad.......

I may be talking to you in the future about parts and such to build one.

Thanks for the information. :thumb:

Yo Salt, you look into the Zigbee controller? Pacificlightconcepts.co -- $65 to get sunrise/sunset timing. You can set the timers to rampup as much as you want, as oftern as you want.. Pretty cool..

I was going to do that, but decided to just forget the sunrise/sunset, and just add a sonoff timer, and control the dimming manually, .. If im not able to dim, atleast it will still go off and on. Saved like $40 just going the sonoff route.

Since im running a 4 cob set-up, 2pc 4000K and 2pc 3500K, im just going to have the 3500K come on for 1 hour, then have the 4000K come on having them both on thru the day, then turn off 4000K last hour, and just run the 3500K, then having my GrowMau5 Nighttime puck turn on for 5 minutes before all light out, and run for 15 minutes after lights out.

Im using a 4-Chan Pro for the lights, and a single sonoff for the Puck. and another sonoff for all my fans(6)

should have all my part Tuesday for this build, cant wait.

I'm looking at the Zigbee, and the Storm. I like that the Zigbee cuts the power to the drivers, something missing for the Storm. Here's a link to CoraLux for the Storm and Storm X.

Did you consider putting the filter and fan outside of the grow space? A ventilation grille, and flexible pipe completes the setup. My 2' X 4' X 5' tent is too vertically challenged to grow with everything in it.
Yeah, I did, I had a tiny PC fan suckin air out, lol. SMH.. Really no room outside, i was limited on room to.

Here she is now,

Back
Top Bottom