Building own hydroponic DWC - Asking for some help or info

I have a 400 cfm 6in variable speed fan pulling through an 18in carbon filter out through through the top into the room. Then i have a 6in duct booster fan pulling cool air from my cent. air vent into the bottom of my tent. I also have the air pump in front of the vent to blow cooler air into my rez. When i run leds i only need to run the exhaust fan to passively pull in enough fresh air. When i switch the additional hids on for flower is when i need the intake fan. Works pretty good for me. The boss lady has a few words about the ducting in the bedroom but the end product keeps it from being too much of an issue. Lol
Oh, and i also agree with duke... 3 gal is too small imo. A big girl will drink up to 1 1/2-2 gals a day. Youd burn through the nutes too quick unless you want to mess with nute add back, which i dont. I like to just top off with phd ro water and some benes through the week and do weekly rez changes.
Also agree... The 1L/qt bottles will last you 3 or 4 grows. At least they do for me. I have only once had to go higher than half strength with the nutes.

Sent from my LGLS990 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I just checked how much they want to ship those buckets and it is way to much. The tops where $15 total but with the buckets it was $65 for two of everything.
Amazon prime has them for $12 Hydrofarm HG5G 5-Gallon Black Bucket : Open Home Storage Bins

Tops on Amazon: 6 in. Wide Lip Bucket Basket - Round Plant Container with Mesh Bottom - Hydrofarm HG6RDBK

Go to Home Depot and get some dark food grade buckets they're like 5 bucks

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

bad part green life our home depot down here only has the orange and white ones you still have to order the black food grade but it is free shipping to the store but next problem I live over a hour from the nearest store lol so kinda in a controversy. I did take your advice and look on home depot they do have a 3 pack for a very good price so gona keep that on the possibility list. thank you for the info.
so heres a update for what ive decided so far. Thanks to everyones help on here so far I hope their will be a lot more .

LED 400w mars II
24x24x63 grow tent ----- still deciding what brand to order
hydroponics ----
5 gallon DWC
6" net pot wide lip
tetra whisper 60 or eco air 2 (126gph) same price for both
air stone 2" round small x 2

inline exhaust fan carbon scrubber combo --- have three choices let me know what yall think the third choice the ventech was my first choice but now it will be 1 to 2 months before it can ship

Grow Tent Exhanst Combo Growsun 4-Inch Inline Fan Carbon Filter Combo With Speed Controller and 25-Feet-Grow Ducting

1666645888759.png

G-LEAF 4 Inch 193 CFM Inline Fan+Carbon Air Filter+Variable Speed Controller+25-Feet Air Ducting With 2 Clamps Combo

1666645903935.png

VenTech VT IF4+CF4-B Inline Exhaust Blower Fan with Carbon Filter and Variable Speed Controller, 190 CFM, 4"

1666645915652.png

GH 3 part trio
z7 water treatment
PH up/down
PH tester digital cheaper side for now
TDS/EC/TEMP - cheaper side but comes with calibration stuff so will calibrate often
indoor humidity monitor digital water proof
2 timers
6 inch clip on fan

any comments suggestions good or bad is welcome so far the only thing confirmed ordered is the light so give me yalls inputs and I have decided to go with the herbie IB think once I get my scrog built and put that in the tent and if I can pull everything off it will be a grow to remember

its funny people are thinking and saying that I should start from soil for my first grow that I'm crazy to start with hydroponics well what I got to say to them is if you want to start slow and work your way up be my guest but if you are gona screw up it doesn't matter how much soil grow you have done in your life hydroponics will be a whole new ball game two completely different entity's experience will help yes but the learning curve is the same whether you been growing for 10 years or first grow if you screw up on your first grow you had no expectations so your not losing anything lets say I grow with soil and I get 3 ounces -- yea yea yea happy go lucky me now I have experience I go do hydroponic and I murder the darn thing in a week well boohoooo cry cry boohoo cry cry I did it in soil I should do it in hydro (expectation).
Its kind of like taking a mechanic that has been working on engines for 5 years who is good knows his stuff inside and out then he gets a new job working for tesla all electric engines ummmmmm he will scratch his head and have to learn all over again same principle both of the engines makes the car go same end game but different ways of getting their

The easy way is just that a easy way

bad part green life our home depot down here only has the orange and white ones you still have to order the black food grade but it is free shipping to the store but next problem I live over a hour from the nearest store lol so kinda in a controversy. I did take your advice and look on home depot they do have a 3 pack for a very good price so gona keep that on the possibility list. thank you for the info.
so heres a update for what ive decided so far. Thanks to everyones help on here so far I hope their will be a lot more .

LED 400w mars II
24x24x63 grow tent ----- still deciding what brand to order
hydroponics ----
5 gallon DWC
6" net pot wide lip
tetra whisper 60 or eco air 2 (126gph) same price for both
air stone 2" round small x 2

inline exhaust fan carbon scrubber combo --- have three choices let me know what yall think the third choice the ventech was my first choice but now it will be 1 to 2 months before it can ship

Grow Tent Exhanst Combo Growsun 4-Inch Inline Fan Carbon Filter Combo With Speed Controller and 25-Feet-Grow Ducting

G-LEAF 4 Inch 193 CFM Inline Fan+Carbon Air Filter+Variable Speed Controller+25-Feet Air Ducting With 2 Clamps Combo

VenTech VT IF4+CF4-B Inline Exhaust Blower Fan with Carbon Filter and Variable Speed Controller, 190 CFM, 4"

GH 3 part trio
z7 water treatment
PH up/down
PH tester digital cheaper side for now
TDS/EC/TEMP - cheaper side but comes with calibration stuff so will calibrate often
indoor humidity monitor digital water proof
2 timers
6 inch clip on fan

any comments suggestions good or bad is welcome so far the only thing confirmed ordered is the light so give me yalls inputs and I have decided to go with the herbie IB think once I get my scrog built and put that in the tent and if I can pull everything off it will be a grow to remember

I gotcha well if worst comes to worst, spray paint the buckets black let them sit out for a couple of days they should be golden .

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

just received in my new LED ready to get everything here to start . Like a kid in a candy store but still looking for a tent uggg found a kind of inbetween its is 36" x 20" x 62" wondering if my 400W mars would still be above adequate for that tent . ben running thru my head for days trying to understand how you can use a led with a 5 gallon bucket grow and have enough room to grow in 5ft everytime I do the math it leaves you like 20" to grow - I been feeling so frustrated trying to figure out what to get. the 400w led shows that it has to be between 24" and 30 " from the canopy dang that don't leave much room

hey duke the rapid rooters are they the same as rockwool where you soak them in ph water to get them wet then put your germinated seed in them or do you just put seed in as they come out the package? what I'm worried about in either case rockwool or rapid rooter what happens if I get a dome put the germinated seed in their and the root grows down to the bottom it is going to hit the plastic how do you know when its time to take the rapid rooter or rockwool to your DWC and place it with your hydroton?

well we are off and running got the tent coming got the led already got 99% of everything ordered now its time to start checking on the seeds and having some fun

If you get the small 4 inch net pots just set them in the hydroton when the roots really start poking out of the rock wool or rapid rooter. After placing them in the net pots in your tote, bin, bucket ect. Don't put any water in the resoviour yet and just hand water them once or twice a day until you see roots crawling half way down the hydroton. After the roots have grown half the hydroton set up your system let the bubbles do the rest .

hey duke the rapid rooters are they the same as rockwool where you soak them in ph water to get them wet then put your germinated seed in them or do you just put seed in as they come out the package? what I'm worried about in either case rockwool or rapid rooter what happens if I get a dome put the germinated seed in their and the root grows down to the bottom it is going to hit the plastic how do you know when its time to take the rapid rooter or rockwool to your DWC and place it with your hydroton?

If you get the small 4 inch net pots just set them in the hydroton when the roots really start poking out of the rock wool or rapid rooter. After placing them in the net pots in your tote, bin, bucket ect. Don't put any water in the resoviour yet and just hand water them once or twice a day until you see roots crawling half way down the hydroton. After the roots have grown half the hydroton set up your system let the bubbles do the rest .

P.s. You might want to run a top fed system when the roots are still not hitting the water yet. It's not necessary as you can just put enough water in the bucket to just sprinkle the roots with.

well we are ordering the incredible bulk seeds which should be pretty good starter for us. we are only going to use 1 5 gallon bucket with the 6 inch wide lip net pot for the bucket the tent we ordered is only a 2'3x2'3x5'3 its small but it will do what we need it to cant get the top feed system right now so we just going to have DWC but the air pump I got should rock that 5 gallon bucket like a hurricane lol I figured I would just hand feed it every day till it gets roots deep enough . I'm at the moment deciding if I want to get a humidity dome and go that way after I germinate or just put my germinated seed in rockwool or rapid rooter and put straight in the hydroton DWC not suer which way I am going to go yet still figuring that part out.

well we are ordering the incredible bulk seeds which should be pretty good starter for us. we are only going to use 1 5 gallon bucket with the 6 inch wide lip net pot for the bucket the tent we ordered is only a 2'3x2'3x5'3 its small but it will do what we need it to cant get the top feed system right now so we just going to have DWC but the air pump I got should rock that 5 gallon bucket like a hurricane lol I figured I would just hand feed it every day till it gets roots deep enough . I'm at the moment deciding if I want to get a humidity dome and go that way after I germinate or just put my germinated seed in rockwool or rapid rooter and put straight in the hydroton DWC not suer which way I am going to go yet still figuring that part out.

I would get a cheap dome. You can use it under the LED. I just soak the Rapid Rooter and then put the seed into it and under the dome.
About three to four days after they pop I start to let more air into the dome for a day or two to harden them. By then I will have and inch or two of tap root showing when I put them into the DWC. I have my water level set just below the bottom of the net pot and then I will scoup water out of the bucket and pour it back over the hydroton two or three times a days for three days.

After I see roots coming out I will slowly up the nutes and off they go. I do put my Rooters in an old egg carton under the dome so I can keep them wet and so the roots have a nice place to go to before moving.

Like you I have some disabilities (from military service) which currently limit doing just about anything remotely strenuous with one of my arms, and also living on a very strict budget. Unlike you I definately have space limitations. I need to keep my plants small, and through aggressive LST'ing coaxing many side cola's, so I went with a small 6x hydro grow cabinet, but you could absolutely follow the same training protocol in a tent. In my mind i'm growing buds, the veg period is the time to set the stage and give them a firm foundation.

So far they are doing just fine; some are nearing harvest, while others are just starting to flower.

somebuds.jpeg
backbud.jpeg

but what if I ordered one of the older models like the mars 300 from a year ago they are clearance them out on amazon for like 79.95

I was gifted a Mars-300 by a fellow "legal - personal use only, grower" when he upgraded. Admittedly, I had to do some _serious_modifications_ to my cabinet to get it mounted to the outside of the box for heat issues, but I love it!

just incase my wifey dive bombs on the idea of the bigger tent taking up 1 side of her closet, You notice I said her closet I been with her 10 years trust me it her closet I just get to use it lololol

If she is hanging her clothes in that closet along with your plants even in a tent, I fear her dive-bombing is inevitable once the plants start oozing perfume into the air, and her clothes are saturated with "fresh cannabis" scent.

I'm at the moment deciding if I want to get a humidity dome and go that way after I germinate or just put my germinated seed in rockwool or rapid rooter and put straight in the hydroton DWC not suer which way I am going to go yet still figuring that part out.

I dropped my seeds into the Rapid Rooters, filled the reservoir with clear water so that just the bottom of the plug touched the water, and 3-7 days later had 100% germination.

I dropped my seeds into the Rapid Rooters, filled the reservoir with clear water so that just the bottom of the plug touched the water, and 3-7 days later had 100% germination.

That looks like a nice little setup. I may try doing something like that is my spray cloner bucket using air instead of water.

Sometimes I will just stick them into the spay cloner for a few days after they pop to hold them till I am ready to move to the DWC.

That works well to to get some long roots to pull though the net pot in the DWC.

nice that answered a lot of my questions duke thank you. never thought of the egg carton idea but that would give that little gap at the bottom so if the root does come thru . I cant wait to use this 400w In this 2x2 I know I will only have one plant but if I can scrog it properly this should be a very interesting first grow. I am going to try and do a journal of this with all of yalls help for a first timer but I will have to be discretionary for reasons I'm sure yall can figure out lol.

Back
Top Bottom