Bush plant vs tall plant

Mormino36

I'm wonder will a plant that's in veg for 7 weeks that is 17 inches tall and 16 inches wide be able to produce a nice yeild in pineapple ex and purple train wreck and grape ape. Or would it produce more if at the end of veg be 30 tall with only to top. The bush plant have a min of 12 tops and a max of 18 tops thanks hopefully some know what produces more:blunt::blunt:

Hey 36 just a thought here ive let my plants veg for 8 weeks and they are monsters 7 ft tall and have alot of buds! Big mistake! There heavy and hard to move. There using tons of water and nutes, and are tought to manage in general! My next grow now is going to go only 5-6 weeks veg with LSTing for bushing that way they stay like up to 5 ft tall by the end! Start the flowering now because they will still grow 35% more in the first couple of flowering weeks! Keep them small and youll be glad! Just remember Branches,Branches,Branches. Keep them topped! Hope this helps!

I'm with CannaVince on this one. For indoors, shorter is better. If you're outdoors, then let them go crazy.

FIM them in early veg so you get more tops and consider SCROG to keep the canopy even. One of the growers pulled close to a lb off of one plant in DWC SCROG. Young Shepard Cross Breed in Deep Water Culture

I use five gallon buckets, under 1000 hps, topped for multiple heads, real real close with the lights over a nice even canopy with as many tops as possible. I get on average a qp per plant dry..not topped the yield is less..i believe you can see both topped and untopped in my galler

Kdog sounds like it's gonna be a stinky wonderful success ! Glad it's worked out because now you won't have any frankensteins In our closet! Feed me ! Ahhhh!

I'm wonder will a plant that's in veg for 7 weeks that is 17 inches tall and 16 inches wide be able to produce a nice yeild in pineapple ex and purple train wreck and grape ape. Or would it produce more if at the end of veg be 30 tall with only to top. The bush plant have a min of 12 tops and a max of 18 tops thanks hopefully some know what produces more:blunt::blunt:

I generally flower when they get about 30" tall or so. All depends on how much vertical clearance you have in your grow room. Most strains will put on an additional 2-8 inches after 12/12 starts which is called "stretch", so allow for that. There are a few things you can do to reduce the vertical growth issue.

Kdog had some GREAT suggestions! Topping your plant when it is about the height yours is now is a good idea if you want to increase yield. You need to top about 3 weeks BEFORE you plan to flower the plant. This gives the secondary branches time to fill out and take over as the new growing TIPS!

3-4 tips are better than 1! :high-five:

Thanks guys but I have 4 plant that are 18 inch tall and about 18 inches wide that I've been veg for about 6 wk I've been topping them since they were only 5 inch tall I haven't topped in 2 weeks and they put on about 5 to 6 inchs I know now that if I didn't top them they would be much taller. I'm looking to get 2 zips from each of those 4 plant. I bought 4 other that are on avg 30 inchs tall with 2 tops Im wonder which will produce more the short bush like plants or the tall skinny ones? I'm going to start to flower on this Sunday I'm hopeing to get 16 zips from all 8 can that happen????

Since I'm only growing outdoor, is there any reason not to top plants besides keeping them out of sight from prying eyes? I know...I'm new to growing, but I'm asking because there seems to be more indoor grow info here than outdoor. I'm feeling paranoid right now because of all the helicopters flying around today. :rollingeyes: Yes, I do have a prescription.

Since I'm only growing outdoor, is there any reason not to top plants besides keeping them out of sight from prying eyes? I know...I'm new to growing, but I'm asking because there seems to be more indoor grow info here than outdoor. I'm feeling paranoid right now because of all the helicopters flying around today. :rollingeyes: Yes, I do have a prescription.

Hi Mike!

If you don't have any height restrictions you could always leave a few alone and see what they end up producing. I do both over here. I veg outside but flower primarily indoors, so height is an issue in addition to production space, so topping does tend to provide more control over the plant's shape etc. indoors.

I've got two Purple Urkle clones that I had to pull out of the flower room after 10 days because they were stretching all over the place and pushing my lights to their highest point! I pulled them out and pruned them way back, but left them outside. Four weeks later they are 6 feet tall, four feet wide and dense as a hedge! Some strains need to be manipulated like that before the plant "behaves" itself, while others do very well when left on their own. ;)

Greetings back at you, goose.

If you don't have any height restrictions you could always leave a few alone and see what they end up producing. I do both over here. I veg outside but flower primarily indoors, so height is an issue in addition to production space, so topping does tend to provide more control over the plant's shape etc. indoors.

I don't even want to get into the cost of electricity for indoor growing. My Kush x Black Domina plants are currently 6'. I had to tie them down since they were trying to wave hello over the top of my tomato bushes. Next time I'll top my plants. I'm new to this, so I was reluctant to prune or top for fear of damaging the plants. I feel much better now that I am tying them down and will gradually add tension every couple days to keep them low. They recovered well from a rodent that may have been tearing off some of the lower water leaves a few weeks ago. I'm off the beaten path so I have many pests like gophers and other rodents to contend with here.

I've got two Purple Urkle clones that I had to pull out of the flower room after 10 days because they were stretching all over the place and pushing my lights to their highest point! I pulled them out and pruned them way back, but left them outside. Four weeks later they are 6 feet tall, four feet wide and dense as a hedge! Some strains need to be manipulated like that before the plant "behaves" itself, while others do very well when left on their own. ;)

That sounds great. I enjoy the sight of healthy plants, and man, are seeds expensive. I'm not too familiar with the smoke of this purple stuff but they sure are attractive plants. I tried one called Da Purps from a local dispensary and it was harsh and not much of an effect. There's a few like Trinity Kush and Grapefruit Krush I'd like to grow next year. Both are listed as Indicas that like to be tied down. I'm also interested in some Sweet Tooth but am not sure which one. I need to read up on Guerrilla techniques. I was looking at Cervantes' book on Guerrilla growing since I haven't found any other literature on the subject.
Thanks for the reply,
Mike

Back
Top Bottom