go4snypr

Here is a pic of my plant,
600w MH
Strain - unkown
4 weeks from seed
Hydro grow in rock wool crutons top feeding to waste
PH 5.8 ish
temps 65-72
feeding General Hydro nutes @ 700ppm @.7 conversion (1.1EC)
feeding with every watering

I have this on some of the older leaves, maybe calcium deficiency

20140725_180346.jpg

also possible N toxicity here:
20140725_180403.jpg

thoughts??

If you are not using cal/mag add some to your reservoir. If you are using cal/mag then you may have an abundance of other nutrients in your medium, which will cause some nutrients to be locked out. If this is the case you should do a flush for 2 days, once you do start feeding again start at 1/4 or 1/2 strength of the recommended nutrient levels.

Nutrient-Lockout-Chart-from-Excess-Nutrients1.jpg

well to me it looks like calcium, which I am adding, and if that leaf curl is N toxicity then it could be that locking out my calcium, I took food away for a couple of days now, and just watered with RO water. I will start nutes agian tomorrow....

well, i did my flush last week, gave it a light nutrient solution the other day, as well as re potted and put in a 1000w light. now I have this going on
photo_5197.JPG
I watered all 5 plants this morning, checked the run off of this one and it came back at 6.5, which is a little high so I gave it a good flush of 5.7 with some nutrients. any thoughs??

is there a chance that what my plant is showing is a fungus?? I had a guy tell me that I have a fungus on my plants. I dont really just want to take his word on it so I dont want to go spraying them with something if thats not the case. Here is a recent photo
20140805_185825.jpg
sorry its not a close up, I will try to get another picture later

I do not believe that to be a fungus, I believe you are experiencing lockouts(phosphorus deficiency IMO) due to PH issues. This is my opinion based on reading your journal. I do not believe I can help with your issues because I have never grown in Rock wool cubes and lack the experience and knowledge that comes with using your medium. I hope someone can help resolve your issue.

thanks for the input, i pulled all of they dying leaves off, the new growth looks pretty good. I have been trying to keep the ph under control by watering with less water but more often, with any luck I will start seeing some substantial growth in the next few weeks.

yes i do. I was trying to keep it at 5.8, but the run off seemed to be getting higher and higher, but I was only watering every couple of days because the rock wool will hold so much. So now I am trying to give them less water more often to see if that will keep the ph steady. for some reason, the ph of my solution goes up when I put an airstone in it for any period of time, so I pulled the air stone, and the ph is seeming to hold. I am a little concerned that the growth rates are not there, I was thinking they should be bigger by now.

Hey,

At first that looked like a Cal-Mag deficiency that cause a lockout of something else; Like people said... As long as your new growth is looking decent then you will be ok. A quick foliar of Distilled water mixed with some Cal-Mag (40ppm or so at that stage of growth) will help green them up if it ever happens again.

Don't give them less water more often; That will just lead to salt buildup and more lockout issues. You need to run your nutrient solution through the cubes until your runoff pH equals your reservoir pH. It's pretty darn hard to overwater rockwool even though it does hold water for a long while. The airstones will cause most nutrients to rise in pH; Not sure why.... You really don't need an airstone though as lots of oxygen will get added to the water through your topfeed method.

It sounds like your basing the interval between feedings on the weight of your pots... Good job that's the right way to do it. The pot should be noticeably lighter before you feed again.

It would definitely help you out to check out The Cap'n in his open Q:A in the blogs section. Tell him Shanker sent ya. He is the Top Top Feed RockWool expert. You should be able to get a huge amount of knowledge by reading his blogs. Talk to ya later. He can probably tell you exactly how much lighter the pot should get between feedings... I'm still new but am learning a tonne from him.

Open Q&A - Blogs - 420 Magazine ®

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom